Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, so this is Blu-Ray, March 26, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player (Electronics)
This is my first Blu-Ray so take any "wows" with a grain of salt. Combined with a new LED-backlit LCD (Samsung UN55ES8000) as compared to an old 52" 720p DLP watching DVDs (even though it was thru an 'upscaling' DVD player) the picture quality is amazing.

Specifically selected the Panasonic because a) it was cheap, b) it had Amazon VOD as one of the app choices, while many other brands do not, c) it was a tray vs. a slot-load (lose the slot feed, or get crap in it, and it's either scratched-disk-city or dumpter...trays on the other hand can be worked with a little better in the long run in my opinion), and d) it was a full 3D capable (which I haven't really even tried yet, but wanted it). Have it hooked up in "passthru" mode through a new HDMI 1.4a capable AV Receiver to the TV.

So far, really like the auto-24p cadence detect. Pans of the Blu-Rays I've watched so far are creamy smooth, not juddery like I was used to seeing with DVDs. Don't notice any "lip sync" lag either...I think the AVR was defaulted to something like 30msec delay. My walls are only wired for 5.1 surround and of course most of the sound quality is going to be speaker and AVR dependent, but so far very happy with teh sound quality as well (probably coming out as DTS so no different than I was used to, but the new AVR might have a little better surround processing than my old one).

SHOULD take one star off for Netflix not working right out of the box with my network, while every other application on the Blu-Ray and new TV did. Had to upgrade my network router to make that work (see longer discussion on that feature in my Samsung UN55ES8000 review). I don't understand why only Netflix seems to require some sort of perfect network while the Amazon VOD app was fine with my older router, but per that other review, that's not a Panasonic-only thing. (Makes me wonder if that was also why the older Pana 210 unit got such a bum Netflix app rap as well.)

Graphical interface can be a tad laggy, especially when you first browse to the "Network Apps" page, but nothing too heinous. Disk loading is a bit frustratingly slow compared to DVD but again knew that was the cost of a constantly updated DRM-ridden 'software box'. Love how the distrbutors screw the purchasing consumers and don't even slow pirates, do they? <raspberry sound>. Wish there was a direct "Amazon" button on the remote like their is the direct "Netflix" button (or that you could set a setting in the menu to select your preferred 'direct network streaming' application to that remote button). No big deal - will be programming a universal regardless.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 26, 2012 1:50:49 PM PDT
Richard says:
I've got a 210 refurb where Netflix runs well. Comcast high speed internet + Apple router.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 6:19:51 PM PDT
rtrski says:
Sorry, didn't mean to seem to be taking potshots at the 210. I did read a lot of internet reviews to the effect that Netflix streaming was 'broken' on them for a while, during one of the firmware updates. I'm sure that's been sorted. But it does seem to me from this recent experience, with a new TV and Blu-Ray, different vendors, which means different app codings, BOTH "failing" until I updated my network (while Netflix worked fine in streaming to laptops and a Wii on the same network) that somehow this one streaming provider is a bit more shall we say "picky" than others? And that this "pickiness" might have contributed to some of the reports of it just "not working". Not everyone would have upgraded a router like I did. But I'm a definite tech junky, even if I waited what, 7 years to update a 720p TV and get my first Blu-Ray player. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 7:12:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2012 7:22:38 PM PDT
Richard says:
Absolutely no need for an apology. I agree with you. BOTH the 210 and 220 are great machines. The 220 does Netflix at 1080p. The 210 does not. That's a main difference. Another difference has something to do how usb files (which I don't use, but many do) get translated. Otherwise, both are great - top notch picture and sound quality. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 7:34:33 PM PDT
rtrski says:
Since writing the original review I have watched a little 3D content...borrowed a friend's "Avatar" which is of course the benchmark for 3D moviemaking (if not moviemaking in general. The Smurfs meet Pocahontas and have an anti-corporate rant complete with the big robots from the horrible 3rd Matrix movie...bleah).

I did have to say "wow" several times. The 3D is phenomenal. A friend of mine said several times he thought it was better than in the theater, because in a 55" screen at a typical viewing range (about 10') the entire screen is in the 'sweet spot' of the glasses. My TV is active-matrix (LCD shutter) 3D no less...but it was still spectacular.

Overall i remain very pleased with this Blu-Ray purchase. I've noticed it even lets me hit the 'disk root menu' button on the remote frequently --- and RESPECT IT -- to skip up front commercials and previews. Many DVD players will just give you the "operation prevented by disk" message and force you to at most fast-forward vs. skipping entirely. That also regains a bit of respect from this jaded user who had started ripping all his DVDs to a digital library to avoid all that BS (not pirating, mind you, these are disks I purchased). I don't think I'll be doing the same thing with Blu-Ray (even though it's possible) because of the much larger file sizes, and now I'm reassured I won't feel too horribly bad about not doing so.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 12:04:02 AM PDT
Can it work with my LG Cinema Screen 55LM8600 tv ? for 3d movies ?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 7:17:37 PM PDT
rtrski says:
I don't see why not. If that's a 3D TV, and you have an HDMI connection to it, it should. If you are connecting thru an AV receiver be sure its got the newer HDMI .. I think earlier than version 1.4 can't do 3 D passthru.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 9:09:10 PM PDT
Bekeg says:
So does this DVD have the proper outlets to hook it up to a current surround speaker system. I am having a hard time finding one that does.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 4:27:48 AM PDT
Richard says:
It should. It's hooked up to my HTIB just fine.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›