Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Ready for Prime-time, October 23, 2012
This review is from: WD My Net N900 HD Dual Band Router Wireless N WiFi Router Accelerate HD (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really wanted to like this router. It has a lot of things going for it. You have the nice looks, 7 LAN ports with link and activity indicators, 2 USB ports, a power switch, a cooling fan that only comes on if needed, nice rubber feet, wall mount points, and all the features an average home user would want. It sounds great. I had no problems configuring the router and had it running in place of my WNDR3700 in no time. After that things just fell apart.

The WIFI signal is about 10dBm lower than the WIFI signal from my WNDR3700 in the same position. Devices in my bedroom had problems getting a signal good enough to stream consistent quality HD video.

The router would lock up and require a reboot once every couple days or so. That is no good so I put the latest firmware on the router. I then continued to have the same problem. I figured that since this was a new product for WD so I would just shelve it and give them time to sort it out before posting my review. After waiting for a few months I looked back into it and see that they had released 3 new firmware updates in that time. I updated the router to the latest and tried again. The signal was still lower than my WNDR3700 but the router lasted more than 2 days. I thought things were good. I used the router and didn't notice any other problems. Then this morning I noticed my cell phone wasn't connected to the WIFI anymore and that none of the PCs had a Internet connection. A reboot of the router brought things back up.

I cannot recommend this router when it can't run for very long before requiring a reboot. I have had 3 other routers from different manufacturers connected to my network in exactly the same way and they did not have this type of problem. I don't believe that this units hardware is defective. Maybe someday they will get things ironed out with this router's software, learn from it, and apply what they have learned to future products. Given my experiences with it so far, I would say skip this one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2013 12:57:12 PM PDT
oppman says:
almost a year later, I wish I had read this comment before buying the router, the software updates dont seem to be working..
After just 1 week of use the router started to slow down all my connections to a crawl. sure enough a reboot fixed it... my old linksys router was up for months without an issue. Taking this back to the store.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 10:26:34 PM PDT
Sadly, I must agree with these observations. This modem has a great feature set, and when it is actually working, it works fine. But as others have noted, it constantly needs to be rebooted. I've had it more than a year, and I've had to reboot it almost every day, which is very frustrating. The numerous firmware updates haven't helped, and I've also found them quite difficult to install.

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 10:08:18 PM PST
Chad Slayton says:
mine wont stay connected for more than an hour without needing a rebbot. Which is a shame because when it works, it's really a great router. Fast and full of features. Too bad it doesnt work.

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 6:24:47 AM PST
Volpone says:
Ditto to the evaluation, set up as either a router or as an access point, wireless clients keep loosing internet connectivity. I suspect a DHCP issue.

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 5:33:13 PM PST
WD My Net N900 HD Dual Band Router Wireless N WiFi Router Accelerate HD

My router seems to lose the WAN connection. It's set up for DHCP. A reboot re-connects WAN. Seems to only lose it when I'm logged into the router and am changing the settings. Funny thing is my PC shows the internet connected when it isn't. I'm trying to get Localphone VOIP /SIP app working. This app was working fine on my old LINKSYS WR300 router but stopped when I changed to the WD N900. I'm running the latest FW as I updated it when doing the first initial setup last week. Otherwise it has been quite stable for me over quite a few days. Seems only plays up when I'm changing settings. I then have to do a power reset and it comes up runs OK. I have noticed that the WAN connection sometime goes to default blank settings and I'm defaulted to run the WAN wizard, which when run quickly finds the Internet WAN settings.

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 7:01:45 PM PDT
jdel says:
I too wish I had read this review prior to buying the WD router. I have had similar problems with disconnection of selected devices (mostly iPhone) from the WAN. Rebooting or power cycling will reestablish the connections.
I am now on my third router (in three months). Customer service has been accomodating for the returns. The only complaint I have is I started with a brand new in box router that had to be returned and now have a refurbished router. The third one has not required the daily reboots. However, the signal is the weakest from this one of the three (none great) transfer speeds are slow - about half of the Modem speed. All three had latest firmware.

Posted on Jun 1, 2014 7:20:14 PM PDT
rstage3 says:
if you haven't already try changing the routers channel to 6 or 11. when these items are left on auto it will drop devices and change channels then pick them up. see if that helps

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014 7:28:21 PM PDT
jdel says:
Thanks - I have set it to channel 11 because that is the strongest channel according to my wi fi analyzer. I have notice very few drops. Signal range not great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014 8:03:25 PM PDT
rstage3 says:
Good also look up WiFi analyzer on your cell phone keep you WiFi on and it will who you what you channel is an everyone around you if there on the same channel then change yours if others on the same channel as you then it will compete with yours.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014 8:50:04 PM PDT
rstage3 says:
oops sorry you have the analyzer sorry lol
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›