Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

1.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Windows 7, hello Linux., April 2, 2012
This review is from: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack [Old Packaging] (DVD-ROM)
I tried to use Win 7, I did. I have been some type of computer related technician for the past 20 years and in that time I have fixed and used just about every OS that has come out, from pure DOS to Windows 3.0 to 3.11 to OS/2-Warp, to Bob, to 95, 98, 98SE, Me, NT 3.5-4.0, Win2k, XP, Vista, Windows 7, Beta 8, and various Mac and ()nix OS. I know computers, I know what it means to fix, repair, and use computers. I have lived through change after change, some good, some bad, some stupid, some smart. That being said.
I hate Windows 7 (although not as much as I hate Windows 8).

If your computer knowledge is clicking about the internet and checking your email, then Windows 7 is for you, but so is every other OS out there after it's been properly setup for you. Mac, Ubuntu, Windows 7, they all will let you click about on a web browser.

I am going to write this as a letter to Microsoft, or at least their design team.
I USE a computer, for making scripts, scanning networks, pushing IOS updates, tracking thousands of computers and manipulating data and documents, sometimes 10,000 documents at a time. I am one of the people that MAKES the things behind the clickable internet you know.
This software is barely usable, it's somewhat more stable than XP, a lot better than Vista, but it's user interface has been dramatically changed, so much that I can no longer use it.
Some of the things were changed for security reasons (explorer in a separate process is gone), and I can deal with a few of them, but the GUI looks like it was designed by someone with A.D.D., things that were put there in the past to make things easier for techs like me are gone, replaced by idiot links (for instance right-clicking the network tray icon will not let you access "status" anymore).
Search is slow, a memory hog, a hardrive killer, and worthless for anything technical. Search can no longer be opened from a folder you're not currently in, and can no longer be opened in a separate window, it will also by default not search and index inside scary (sarcasm) system files like (XML, NFO, INI and the like). Searching for files used to be a lot easier, both normal and advanced, you reduced functionality with your changes, why?
Changing the name of a file will attempt to change only the name not the extension (this cannot be changed). Upon changing the name, clicking anywhere will then highlight everything between the original file and where you happened to click (potentially causing untold file deletions).
Moving your mouse across the folder pane to the right side in file explorer will cause all of the subfolder arrows (or plus icons) to disappear from the folders that have sub-folders (this makes no sense, why would you remove information from my screen for no benefit or reason?).
You removed all the menu options by default in the file explorer, why?
You stuck in an non-removable "favorites" menu in file explorer, why? Why does it have to be there, why is it no longer my choice?
The HDPC controls you put in place against the best interests of your customers is sad.
The fact that there is really only one version of Windows 7 on every DVD, and depending on what key you use, one of the various crippled versions will be installed, that is sad, you already paid to develop the whole thing, and then to artificially cripple it so you can piecemeal it out is just greedy (we all know that allowing only 10 concurrent network file connections is an artificial limitation put into place by you).
The GUI is pretty, but with using 2,000mb of RAM it better be.
UAC, it's worthless, and most people just turn it off anyway, if you're going to make a "Home" version (and not just an artificially crippled business version), then make it have features that work correctly in a "Home" environment.
If I want to turn things off, then let me, warn me if you must, but let me do it. I have a physical firewall, and do not need yours to run. Thanks, but no thanks.
You had RAID5 in Server 2003 (and inside XP if you had a hex editor), but you don't offer it on any version of Windows 7, why? Instead of keeping old options (RAID5) and giving us new ones too like RAID 6, you removed everything but mirror.
Multiple monitor support sucks in Windows 7, oh they come on, they just might flip sides, show bogus resolutions and about 5 other problems related to them.
The anti-piracy methods you implemented do nothing to stop piracy, but they do screw with actual paying customers. Not everyone wants to call Microsoft to essentially get permission every time they want/need to change out a piece of hardware. And FYI, that big ass code you have to read them, and the code they read back, will have to be done every swinging time you need to reload that OS after the hardware change.

There are lots of issues with Windows 7, I only listed a few. If you are new to computers and have a choice, just buy a Linux box, a Mac, or a Windows 7 PC it doesn't matter. If you do file manipulation on XP, keep away from this and just go with Linux, the learning curve is high, but at least in the end you can use it as efficiently as you did XP.

And Microsoft, you will be getting no more of my money ever again. Do yourself a favor, and fire the team that changed the GUI from XP to Vista/Win7, they are either idiots, or are designing for idiots, and it's pissing us non-idiots off. BTW, if you own stock in Microsoft, sell it BEFORE they launch Windows 8.
People liked XP because it was between a Mac (too simplistic) and Linux (too complicated), it was just the right mix of both. Windows 7 is not what I want.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 4, 2012 8:15:51 AM PDT
k1skanation says:
This is just asinine. I understand you work with files "behind the clickable things", but you switch to Ubuntu even though the learning curve is high when you could just do the same thing in Windows 7? I mean, how foolish can you be to not know how to properly operate Windows 7? If you're an advanced computer user, you should at least know what you're doing. You just seem like you have a vendetta against Microsoft. I will give you a point for the statement of them making it simplistic, but in a world where people just want to hop on and do things, why is that bad? Every advanced option you could possibly use is still available, and you are never exempt from using them. I run multiple monitors perfectly fine, so I have no idea why you even mentioned that. Start menu isn't that different than XP, maybe a little tweaked, but still quite similar. I'm not even going to bother with that. I understand their stance on taking out XML, INI, and INF files from searches too.

Seriously, you need to use it for more than an hour before you cry about it. You just seem like someone that wants everything catered to your liking, and if it's not, you complain. Why not take the effort to make it to your liking, it REALLY is not that hard.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 9:29:06 PM PDT
Dana M says:
Also on a side note if you get either pro or ultimate it will fix most of these issues

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 11:57:18 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 5, 2012 12:00:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 2:34:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2012 3:04:44 PM PDT
Manda says:
I didn't write this post for you, it was for people like me. When you have to maintain over a thousand Windows 7 and Vista machines on a daily basis, the changes they made (that there are no fixes for) add up to a horrendous efficiency hit. Over and over, day after day, the stupidity of their incorrect decisions in the GUI of their OS add up.
For instance, say you are an average user on a domain with standard user rights, you need me to install something, or transfer some files, but only an administrator can access those files on another computer, well under XP, you could launch a separate process of file explorer as an different user, and do what you needed to do, under Vista and Windows 7, you can't, you will have to "switch users" and completely log in as that administrator to open a file explorer window as an administrator to acess those files on a remote box, or the alternative is to open "Notepad" as the administrator, then change the file type from .txt to All, and then you can "sort of" get the same functionality albeit without the ability to select multiple files at once for moving. That, is what I am talking about. Yet I'm the asinine one? That is the very definition of asinine, using Notepad to exploit a trick so that you don't have to completely relogin as a different user. XP was as simple as Right-click, "run as." and then the username. Done, the end. When I say that it sucks, it's because I actually know why it sucks. Go scan inside some nice XML files for a search string, and let me know how well that works for you (BTW I'm not going to modify the registry to use a plain text filter for every file of every persons computer every time I need to find an specific XML file, how would that save me time.) It's ok, that you have no idea what I'm talking about, but don't say that "I'm crying" either. If you had no idea what I was talking about the first time, you shouldn't have made such a rude comment. Everything I said before is completely true.
As far as Ubuntu, after the learning curve, you have control back, and can script and do what ever you want, after "learning" Windows 7, you are still stuck with "can't do that". I can "use" W7 all day, it's using it to perform tasks, specific tasks, that can no longer be done efficiently on W7.
As far as making it simpler being bad, for grandma it's not, but it's a lot like saying "Who needs door handles, our doorman opens the doors." Ask anyone that makes things with their computer how they feel about Windows 8, well I feel the same way about Win 7, and it's clear Microsoft no longer cares about what type of operating system a tech needs to work.

The thing about multiple monitors is difficult to explain, but when dealing with multiple monitors and KVMs, WIn7 is too aggressive in attempting to detect them, and will scrap good configuration when it notices a change, XP would "leave them alone.", that's about the best way I can explain it.

Most of the things I mentioned before cannot be "tweaked" to work, I barely even mentioned things that can be tweaked backed to normal (scanning inside XMLs). And Win 7 search is not "better", don't take my word for it, do a test, "search" for a file using the search feature, and then open a CMD box and do a search with 20 year old code "DIR filename.* /s", which one was faster? Time and time again the DOS way is faster, explain to me how Win7's search is better if it's 3 times or more slower than something being done 20 years ago?

All I wanted was for them to leave the file explorer alone, for people that used it. If it could really be simply tweaked to be the same as XP I would be fine, but it can't, the fact that you think it can means you don't really get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 6:40:28 AM PDT
It's a total mess and the more Microsoft tries to fix it the worse it gets. One additional thing, after the Vista experience, it appears that most vendors told Microsoft to go to hell this time around. There are a ton of drivers missing and most of them are old Vista drivers (I could see this in the crash dumps that I get daily). So for the most part you are buying a new OS on top of a crippled old OS.

I think the guy above and most who post here are Microsoft employees trying to salvage their jobs as best they can. Let's face it, stock options with that company? It hasn't moved in a decade!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 12:22:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2012 12:25:26 PM PDT
Tony says:
Hehe, I never said MS was awesome or anything. I just had to give a more accurate review. Most of the problems previously listed are fixable with settings. I only use MS because it has the monopoly... Apple is catching up, but they remain far too expensive for business use. I actually prefer Apple to MS, but at work I can't justify using Apple when I know how to maintain MS on really cheap hardware.

I DO NOT work for MS... Stop jumping to conclusions.

Oh and you could at least not delete my post when you reply... I sort of defeats the purpose of reviews and replies.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 3:56:51 PM PDT
Anonymous says:
Obvious troll.

explorer.exe is still a separate process you can stop and start-up at any time you wish. Task manager anyone??

"Changing the name of a file will attempt to change only the name not the extension (this cannot be changed)." --> WRONG
You can go into options and make it so you can change and see the extensions on a file by default. ( Google is your pal! )

"The "Start" menu is virtually worthless, and reorganizing links is a nightmare because of the redesign."
"Do yourself a favor, and fire the team that changed the GUI from XP to Vista/Win7" --> If you don't like it download Classic Shell like the rest of us....

"Not everyone wants to call Microsoft to essentially get permission every time they want/need to change out a piece of hardware." --> Is this a joke? This is sad....who calls Microsoft to change hardware they didn't make...and ask permission to change hardware on your own computer.......? just run out to the store. buy ram or whatever. install. done. windows recognizes it right away.

" I have a physical firewall, and do not need yours to run. Thanks, but no thanks." --> You have a physical firewall!!!? There's a physical WALL between your computer and the internet??!!! AWESOME!! ---Incidentally previous versions of Windows have come with a firewall as well. Your router has a firewall built in too....

Obvious troll is obvious. The fact that this person is still fixing computers is nothing short of a miracle...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 4:39:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 6:24:06 AM PDT
Manda says:
Oh Bob, see my post wasn't for you. I could leave it at that, but since you bothered to bother me, I'll bother you back.

First, Explorer.exe CANNOT be run in a separate process as another user, don't take my word for it, login as Bob and then Right-click->Run as-> Oh that's right, it's gone. So now you're going to retort with "well Run as Administrator is there", but what you fail to understand, is that it will not do what you think it will do, running it as Admin will not do what it used to do under XP or 2003, because Vista and Win 7 removed having another user credential running as a (wait for it) "Separate Process" or "Shell". You will not be able to read user "Sally's" files from an explorer window while logged in as "Bob", period, the end (unless you do the notepad hack I mentioned, sadly). MS broke this function, you just don't understand. You didn't understand, then were rude on top of it.

Changing a file's name. Of course you can change a files extension and see it too, duh. Any 10-year old with a computer knows you can put a check in the box labeled "Show extensions". However, my comment was about how only the filename is highlighted by default now when renaming, therefore requiring a two additional steps to accomplish renaming both the filename AND the extension, it doesn't kill me to do it, but it is not normal, and it slows down workflow. This function cannot be changed.

The Start menu. My point is that one should not have to "Download classic shell" for free or cost, to have something back that was removed or altered for no reason. The fact that "classic shell" exists for download in the first place is proof that enough people don't like MS's direction in GUI design. I was stating that they need to listen to their customers. To be fair, the new menus in Ubuntu's Unity and Mint's Gnome 3 suck in my opinion as well, but at least in a *nix environment, I'm not paying someone to frustrate me.

Hardware. Bob, try swapping out your NIC or your videocard, or have a harddrive fail and try to reload Win7 on the new drive in the same computer, at some point you are going to see what I mean, MS generates a key based on the physical hardware in you PC, and when enough of it has changed, it will cry that you are a pirate, and demand you call and ask MS for forgiveness in the form of a 90 digit hardware key that will change on each reinstall of the OS and always will require a phone call to MS to receive it. Of course you can upgrade RAM, you'll need to with Aero taking up 2gb of it. Search for "Hardware Out of Tolerance" or go here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/i-replaced-the-motherbord-on-my-pc-and-now-windows/331df810-44ab-42b3-808f-75a7f49d1c9c?msgId=40b0219f-05c0-4b21-a316-76006834cbd6

Firewall. Under XP I could disable the firewall, and that was the end of it. Under Win7, you will be nagged until the end of time if you try to do the same thing. If I want to disable my Win 7 firewall, set my admin password to blank, and remove my anti-virus I should be able to, it's my computer, I don't want an OS to nag me about everything I choose to do for the rest of time. My reasons for doing anything to my computer are my own, and I shouldn't need to rationalize them to a computer or anyone.

Troll, no, informed technician, making actual complaints, backed up with facts, you are the uninformed troll. You know you didn't fully understand what I was writing about, yet still felt compelled to comment, why?

Posted on May 12, 2012 9:44:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 9:44:16 PM PDT
CDS says:
This post is hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 12:06:17 PM PDT
Mike says:
If you think W7 is bad, just wait for W8.
One step to do a task in XP takes 3 steps in W7 but 5 steps in W8. That's why I am buying W7 now and will stay with it as long as I can.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›