1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, December 8, 2010
This review is from: Coby DP700WD 7-Inch Widescreen Digital Photo Frame -Wood Design (Electronics)
I got this as a Christmas gift for my Mom. I've been watching for digital frames to come down in price, and I got this for something like 25 bucks on Black Friday. It's not worth it. I took this thing out to load it up with family photos before I gave it to my mom, and I was shocked at how poor the picture quality is. My high-res photos come out looking literally blocky.

I'm not being a pixel snob, either; the blockiness is immediately apparent at a distance of about 3 feet or less. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic for digital photo frames, but I thought I was buying something that would be just like a regular picture frame that magically changed the picture at set intervals. As it is, I think my mom would prefer a traditional frame with just one real photo in it to this little toy.

My main gripe is obviously the resolution, but this thing fails on almost every other front as well. The buttons are comically unresponsive and un-intuitively laid out; the menu is slow; and the supposed auto-rotate feature does nothing. This thing doesn't even remember when you manually rotate a photo to display it that way again the next time it comes up.

Bottom line, don't buy this product. I guess I'll look for a more expensive one that has a higher resolution, or else just abandon the idea of a digital frame altogether.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 10, 2010 4:58:44 PM PST
b-gat says:
One more thing: even if you're okay with the picture quality and the clunky control scheme, I would stay away from the widescreen version of this product. No digital camera I know of will take pictures in the aspect ratio of this frame unless you specifically set it to do so (and I'm sure many cameras don't even have it as an option). That means any photos you haven't taken or edited with this specific frame in mind will have almost an inch of black space on either side of them in the frame.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 2:38:31 PM PST
K. Franzen says:
Thanks for the comment! I'll be reading more, but this is likely enough to get me to purchase a more expensive photo frame and enjoy higher-resolution display.

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 11:07:51 AM PST
Wow! Thank you for your very informative comment and for saving me time and money in bypassing this product, which I was seriously considering purchasing until I read your product-insightful review.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 6:52:30 PM PDT
Islander says:
I'm sorry I didnt read your comment before buying a similar one on another site a minute ago. I would have been more thorough in my research. Thanks anyway!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 8:21:35 PM PDT
b-gat says:
To be fair, I ended up giving this frame to my Mom anyway, and she's been happy with it. I just pre-loaded pictures onto a card I put into it so she never needs to fiddle with any controls, so the interface hasn't been an issue for her.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 6:16:04 AM PDT
P. J. Cullen says:
What is the resolution? It may be stated somewhere in the Amazon specs but I don't see it. (800 x 480?)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:23:54 PM PST
The pictures are most likely so pixelated because you did not size them down before loading to the digital frame. You should do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:06:31 PM PST
b-gat says:
What do you mean, "size them down"? And how do you do that?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 4:06:19 PM PST
J.V. says:
In a picture editor you can adjust the size of a picture to be perfect for the resolution you need it for... hence changing a 1000X1040 pic to a 800X600, or even 420X600, there are varying sizes available, and there should be a program on your computer to do this... Windows photo editor does this... Hope that helps. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›