2.0 out of 5 stars Almost expired, October 20, 2010
If I had to rate the Starbucks Via alone I would give it five stars. I love the product. Unfortunately I received this 50ct order yesterday (October 19) and the expiration date is December 2010. It says on the side of the box that it was produced in December 2009 with a one year expiration date. I'll probably finish it by then, but I don't appreciate getting a 10 month old food product.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2011 8:37:53 AM PST
Jameszr1 says:
I'm buying the same stuff off ebay for 40.00 for 100.

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 9:10:07 AM PST
pdot says:
Thanks for bringing up the exp date. I see this product frequently on Amazon's Friday Sale and had concerns about the exp date. Too risky for me since I am not a very frequent coffee drinker. I'll probably just buy it locally and pay more.

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 4:20:05 PM PST
CdH says:
thank you all for taking the time to comment! I don't need the hassle if the stuff is stale. Just not worth it! Thanks again

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 4:45:56 AM PST
Keep in mind this stuff ain't bread. I've been buying it (overpriced) at local stores. I notice no difference in flavor between a packet almost a year from its use-by date and one two months from expiration. I haven't exactly done A-B testing on this, but I'm someone who buys various varieties of green coffee in bulk and often creates my own blends at home, so I'm attuned to coffee taste. Use-by dates sometimes seem like B.S. designed to encourage you to buy new product.

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 4:56:13 AM PST
I was poised to order the 50 packet deal and saw the comments re expired or near expired shipments. Contacted Amazon Customer Service [what's in a name?] to ask how Amazon was addressing the problem. The Very Prompt Response was a non-response: Amazon is not dealing with it. Buyer beware and Amazon doesn't give a damn.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2011 12:42:36 PM PST
Psuedo Odeki says:
The funny thing about expiration dates is that for something like this, it honestly doesn't matter. I've gotten batches that are expired (for cheaper) and the taste is the same great amazing taste as it was when it was well within the right range.

The reality is that expiration dates are a wonderful tool that make people throw perfectly fine food and go out and buy more. Especially with dairy products. If it's a few days over, most people will toss out cartons of perfectly good milk and eggs that could keep for another five weeks, which keeps people buying it more frequently. The fact is, if you would drink it without knowing the expiration date is past (It doesn't smell or look bad) then it's not only safe to eat, but a waste to toss.

This isn't true for drugs, however. If your medicine says it's expired, it's expired.

It makes me mildly furious that anyone would say, "I'll just pay more for this date printed on my package that honestly has no effect on the taste or quality on my product. :)"

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2011 7:35:14 AM PDT
Yoni K says:
My 50 pack came with 10 months left of expiry. If it was too close I would have mentioned something to amazon.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 7:11:10 AM PDT
Disagree with the notion that "expired eggs/milk are fine!!!". But if there are those who envy gastrointestinal issues by all means.

If this is a vacuum sealed packet, of dry grounds no less, I wouldn't worry about it. Most sealed dry grounds can last quite a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 8:25:25 AM PDT
Psuedo Odeki says:
There is a difference between something being past the expiration date and being expired. If milk is expired, you will immediately know when you open it and smell it. I've seen milk expire before the expiration date.

Eggs can sit out on a counter for seven days without going bad; in a fridge, seven weeks. There are two ways of testing whether or not they're expired. Float them in some water, and if they sink they're not necessarily expired, just definitely not fresh. Alternatively, crack one open and see for yourself.

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 6:38:00 AM PDT
Andrew Kan says:
I bought a pack through amazon from Starbucks and a pack from amazon, the amazon one had an expiration date about 10 months out while Starbucks was only4 months. So I think when it's Starbucks, it could be old stock getting let go.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›