2.0 out of 5 stars Don't get your hopes up, February 1, 2008
This review is from: VT 12-Inch Touch Screen Graphic Pen Tablet (White) (Personal Computers)
This tablet is okay for what it is, but don't expect the quality and flexibility of more reliable brands.

Let me start by saying that I *really* wanted this tablet to be awesome, as a cheap alternative to Wacom, despite the fact that the company is obviously marketing the tablet through 'customer' reviews (see above). I'm trying to build my own Cintiq-style tablet from a tablet and an LCD monitor, so durability of the casing and appearance don't really matter to me. Those weren't the only problems, however.

First, even the fine print is a little misleading: the true active area on this tablet is 9.5" by 5.5". The 10x6.25 figure includes the massive ring of buttons around the drawing area, which is not active for drawing, only for hitting those buttons.

I could live with that, because I don't need a huge tablet. However, after installing the drivers I noticed that performance is sluggish if you're doing anything more than waving your mouse around the desktop. Do not attempt this tablet with any kind of gaming; you will get pwned.

As an art tablet, the VisTablet still has some drawbacks. It is jumpy at times, and the software provided gives you little to no customization: you cannot specify, for example, how much screen area the tablet should control, or which monitor in a dual monitor setup you want to work in: the tablet will automatically span your full system resolution, meaning the higher resolution your system (especially dual monitor systems) the sloppier the tablet performs. These features are standard in Wacom drivers. What gives?

Then pen itself feels hollow, and requires a battery (unlike other brands). While the specifications suggest that the software detects pen tilt, I see no evidence of that either in Photoshop, or in some software I have to pull the pen data from the OS.

I gave it two stars out of pity, but frankly your money is better spent elsewhere.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 5, 2008 9:22:50 PM PST
Thanks, I was really debating this, mostly because I wanted a larger work area, but was curious how it compared to competitors. The original review sounded way too promotional, and I found that the same person had actually registered at other sites just to put out the exact same stuff. I thought it sounded too good to be true, and I guess it was.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2008 6:41:03 PM PDT
Don't buy it. I've had it for about a week and a half, and the pen already broke! I don't manhandle my stuff either. I'm getting a Wacom Intuos.

Posted on Mar 31, 2008 7:58:25 PM PDT
I still might try a VisTablet, because Wacoms will not install on my Sony VAIO. Mine is a top-of-the-line VAIO, too--cost me 3 grand. I've tried different Wacom tablets that belong to others, to see if they would install. They don't; the blue lights just flash instead of staying a solid blue, and the computer doesn't even recognize it. Maybe there's something wrong with my USB ports, which can handle other devices just fine. Since I can't get a Wacom to work, the VisTablet would be better than nothing.

Posted on Apr 30, 2008 1:32:44 PM PDT
Just for other viewers to know WE (at VisTablet Systems) have NOT heard of these problems from this customer.........
Furthermore we want everyone to know that we are simply the best graphic tablet value proposition that money can buy and we guarantee it and stand behind it and will replace and refund or exchange to whatever degree necessary to satisfy and exceed our customers' expectations and establish a brand loyalty that will be the envy of everyone in the peripheral computer market.

We offer 2 year warranty as well as the best US backed technical support in the industry. All I ask is that customers call our toll free number first (888) 392-9230. Which we can fix free of charge!

We want to create a VisTablet Brand culture that becomes a rabid enthusiastic tribe of supporters, promoters, and defenders for the company's vision and mission.
In any event we are committed to being the New Standard in graphic tablet design, innovation and value period. We embrace customer feedback and input to continually reinvent ourselves and our products.
Thank You!
~VisTablet Team

www.VisTablet.net
"The NEW Standard."

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2008 7:00:35 AM PDT
D. Haskins says:
VisTablet team:
If you are serious about your mission, then stop allowing your employees and representatives to post positive feedback and marketing copy in the guise of "customer reviews". I want to believe. It seems many of us do. But when I research your products and find the same text posted as "customer reviews" on 5 different web sites, I stop believing. It is under-handed and dishonest. If you really believe in developing this "rabid enthusiastic tribe of supporters" you cannot have agents pretending to be one of them.

Produce a quality product, support your users, and fix your issues (including the driver issues listed here and elsewhere). Then and only then will you see genuine positive feedback.

And yes, I do know that Wacom has agents posting negative reviews of their competitors. Don't sink to their level. If you want to counter them, post as yourself as you did here. Keep the discourse civil and on point. Do NOT get dragged into an insipid flame war. Address the points people raise and call them out when they are not making sense.

This tactic does work. If you don't believe me, do some research on some other recent brands: LG, Syntax Olevia, Kia

Posted on Jun 13, 2008 12:21:02 PM PDT
I use the product and dont have any problems. I wrote a review and explained that. I am unsure of the issues some people have listed here, my vistablet has worked great and I feel like my wife and I finally got as great deal on a tablet.

Posted on Aug 13, 2008 4:21:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2008 4:22:09 AM PDT
Susan Katz says:
Wow. I'm concerned that a "company" (or, is it a rouge employee?) feels that it is appropriate to post customer reviews AND to publicly chastise customers (who have *actually* purchased a product & have concerns, no less).

That's enough for me. I'll never purchase a product from this company. Shame on you!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2008 11:40:14 AM PDT
Do you use an extension USB cable? Sometimes those are the source of this type of problem. I went back from XP-64 to XP-32 thinking that it was my O.S. when I tried to install a linksys wireless adapter...It turned out simply to be the USB extension cable. And I installed the same on 2 other computers for friends. 2/3 had faulty cables.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2008 3:45:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2008 4:28:57 AM PST
MDS says:
Johnathan - I had a similar problem with Wacom's Intuos and Graphire on a Sony Vaio. The problem is with the Human Interface Driver (HID) and, regardless of the roast baiting astroturf E. Manroe spoke of, the company selling this product may not have seen a complaint but shows up with a number of competing tablets. Tempting as it may be to blame Sony, the problem isn't limited to the company. The source of the issue comes down to bug with the USB Miniport Driver and this issue has been a notorious problem for slate-type Tablet PC's with the pressure sensitive screens. Wacom has supplied alternative drivers for most of their products and Tablet PC's that changes the driver from a HID device to a Wacom specific device that is stabilized via a running service; many an artist and technical staffer have found that the alternative driver actually performs with a higher degree of accuracy so it's pretty much standard fare to replace it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2009 10:30:14 AM PDT
Janis Pagan says:
I have to say as an honest person, that I myself have posted the same review on different sites about products that I have bought because I really enjoy the product & want to contribute to reviews. This does not mean that it is dishonest. So with that said, you should not assume that just because you see that same review on different sites, that it is the doing of the company itself trying to be "dishonest".
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (130 customer reviews)

Out of stock