5.0 out of 5 stars Medium Comes Full Circle, April 12, 2011
This review is from: Medium: The Seventh and Final Season (DVD)
WOW!! That's what I have to say about this amazing series! I had no clue it would run 7 seasons due to being slapped around by NBC for its first 5 years. It premiered back in January 2005 as a mid-season replacement and its first 16 episodes were simply astonishing! Patricia Arquette played Allison DuBois excellent. It was almost if the dead were omnipotent! Every where she looked she saw a dead person good or bad, lost or confused and tried to at first block them out by drinking! After NBC canceled the show in May 2009 (although it was outperforming their other shows) CBS picked it up for its remaining two seasons.

Back to season 7 (the final season), was just simply amazing!! The writers, actors, directors and producers all worked hard as hell to produce one of the finest prime time shows of the 00's and 10's. Season 7 began right where Season 6 ended as Allison continued to recover from her brain tumor. Her eldest daughter Ariel went off to college this season and we got to see more acting from the middle daughter Bridgett. The first episode "Bring your daughter to work day" was a take on the film "Freaky Friday", that being said, Bridgett and Mom switched places and it was nice to have a comical relief after all the sad ordeal that ended with season 6.

The series continued to get better with each episode. We got to see more details about Detective Lee Scanlon's life and how he and his deceased brother were treated as children, and his precious daughter Lee by Lynn whom he married. Another great episode was "The Match Game", in this episode we see Allison seeing hearts on people's foreheads and thinking they are matched and fate is working, but does it work for the greater good?!?

Personally, one of my favourite episodes is "Talk To the Hand" when Allison gets a skin graft and her hand goes wild. The coffin scene is absolutely funny even though this is a crime show, a bit of humour now and again always helps. "Where were you when...?" was an episode that left a chill in almost all who like Medium. It brought back memories of catastrophic events and after Allison thinks a mega quake is coming she later learns a bomb is in a parking garage.

As the season progresses, we learn Joe's mother is dying and this little detail goes back to Season 4 episode "Burn, Baby Burn" in that when Allison told Joe's mother that she would be alright after she confided in Allison that she had to stop by the Mayo Clinic on the way back to Michigan. I think that episode "Blood on the Tracks" was one of the saddest in the season. Laura San Giacomo made an appearance in "The People in your Neighbourhood". Laura is remembered for "Just Shoot Me" a 90s sitcom. This episode wrongfully accuses a convicted sex-offender of molesting her daughter. But, the question is who really hurt her daughter??

As the 2011 episodes approached after a long break viewers realized the show was coming to an end. We got to see Allison's brother back, but this time it was her real life brother David Arquette, the great actor from Scream! I think they should have cast him as her brother originally, but that's just my opinion. Allison and Joe had some troubles too in the remaining episodes over Allison going back to get her law degree and Joe getting his masters. I think we can all agree on the last episode unless you haven't seen it, which I won't say much, but it is very bittersweet! I hope the DVD has an extended version of Episode 13 like they did with Season 1 episode 1. I really think a Series Finale should be 2 hours not one! Remember that Kelsey Grammar just kidding, but seriously it should have been two hours to get everything in.

The good thing about Season 7 and the whole series was watching the whole family change. They were a true life family, faced hardships like everyday people do. They lived in a modest house, struggled with jobs and had plenty of ups and downs along the way. The daughters grew which was wild seeing Ariel go to college when you sit down and watch Season 1 as compared to season 7. She really grew up! Bridgett became more funny. I think Maria Lark has a comedic career ahead because of her whit and she just cracks me up. The littlest girl Marie grew up to become a good actress too. She didn't really have many roles, but in Season 6 we got to see her act in the episode "Sal" where she fell in love with the Alarm system the DuBois family installed.

Overall, I give the whole series 5/5 because for everyday people it dealt with everyday issues from the economy, the wars, crime, struggling to find jobs, money, and dealing with teenage children and young children. Jake Weber and Patricia Arquette had a great chemistry together and I would recommend that you order this today or go out and buy it June 21, 2011! Season 7 comes full circle and I for one am glad the show got a proper finale instead of just canceling it! It brought closure to the show and didn't leave us wanting more like some series that just end! I believe if CBS hadn't moved it to 8 pm on Friday nights and left Ghost Whisperer run for a 6th Season, then Medium would have got its full 22 episodes. Now that the Supernatural shows are practically gone, my question is what kind of shows will be next? As reality shows are starting to wane, it makes me wonder what the 2010's will have for us in the coming years! So get ready and get Medium the 7th and Final Season this year!! Au Revoir Medium!! Maybe Ariel's character will do a spin-off? We will see!

P.S. I forgot to mention Season 7 will be in Blu-Ray too!! I hope they release the other 6 on Blu-Ray as Well!! And for Patricia and Jake, I wish you two long and happy careers!! You both did amazing jobs making this series! Thank You both!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 14, 2011 12:44:28 PM PDT
C. Ellis says:
Hi, I'm a huge Medium fan myself, and have watched every episode over and over again, but living in the UK means I have yet to see the seventh and final season. I am excitedly anticipating this release but, is it really coming out on blu-ray. Because that would be absolutely amazing, they should have released all of them on blu-ray, but I've gotta get this on blu-ray! Is there anywhere I can order or read about the blu-ray? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2011 4:21:32 PM PDT
Mike Penn says:
Hi there, According to amazon.com Season 6 and 7 are available in blu ray...here is the link:

Medium: Season 7 [Blu-ray]

Oh you will love Season 7 and I went to amazon.com.uk and found that season 6 has yet to be released...wonder why the hold up? It's been over a year since season 6 has been on American TV. But, as for season 7, you will love it and I don't want to give it away, but watch each episode very close after the 2nd episode. They build on each other. I can't wait to own it myself as I am huge fan of the series. I was sad that CBS cut the episodes from 22 to 13, but if they hadn't canceled Ghost Whisperer, I think Medium would have ran its 22 episodes.

And, I agree with you, I want them on blu ray too. I hope now that the series is over maybe the box set will be in blu ray! Another thing you could order a multi regional dvd player and order the series from Amazon.com usa... hope this helps some

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 4:58:01 PM PDT
L. Frame says:
Thank you for a wonderful review and I couldn't believe it ended in January 2011. Very sad to see them go off the air.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2011 9:09:57 AM PDT
C. Ellis says:
I have to say Medium is one of my top shows, and they've been re-running the old episodes on CBS Reality in the UK! Even though I had all the DVDs. They used to show new episodes on BBC over here, but were always about 9 months behind, and the DVDs come out a year behind as well (Season 6 probably wont come out over here until September!)

So I ordered Season 5 DVD from America and managed to make my blu-ray players region free, so I could watch them, and then I ordered season 6 when it came out. So, I've been waiting now for Season 7 to come out on DVD/Blu-Ray so I can import it from America (I'm not waiting another 18 months for them to release it in the UK!)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2011 7:40:15 PM PDT
Mike Penn says:
Hi there, good for you getting the regional DVD player...June's not that far away, and please let me know what you think about it!! Rumor hath it, that Ariel's character may do a spin off and solve crimes in Dartmouth...not sure if it would bring back any characters from the original, but Arquette, Weber and lark may come back to help her.. as well as certain Ghosts... I think it would do well focusing more on a younger generation and I look for movie reunions. Arquette was wanting a few more seasons, but with recession/depression, I would say all the actors were disappointed with the cancellation. Do you think if Ghost Whisperer didn't go off the air, that Medium would have ran to episode 22? This show always reminds me of a 21st Century "Bewitched", without the comedy, but with the drama... Good Luck...I hope to be back to the UK soon...When I was there that show with Anne Robinson was popular a year later it was on American TV... Did you find Mseason 7 on Blu Ray? Thanks so much!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 5:17:55 AM PDT
C. Ellis says:
Hi, I'll definitely let you know what I think, and I've rated the other six seasons 10/10 so this should be no different. Only two months to go! But I don't want it to end! I think, if Ghost Whisperer had been renewed for a sixth season that perhaps Medium would have been cancelled instead, and it probably would have ended with season 6, I do wish that Season 7 was 22 episodes, but remember when NBC cancelled it at the end of season 5, at least we're lucky enough to get an extra 35 episodes!

I do hope that they start a new spin off with Ariel, that would be fantastic, and I could definitely imagine some guest appearances from the family! And I found the blu-ray so I'm definitely getting that!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 10:08:28 PM PDT
Mike Penn says:
I got my copy today and I want to tell everyone it's better to do standard that way you don't have to pay for shipping!! I got it in 3 days!! The only complaint is since since season 6 I don't like the packaging. It's all in the case you know how season 6 was and that's how season 7 is. Rumor hath it, there will be a movie and a spin off, but again it's a rumor. CBS will be doing it because NBC SUX!!! Let me know what u guys think!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 10:08:30 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011 2:45:50 PM PDT
C. Ellis says:
I completely agree with the packaging. I much prefered the older cases where there would be three (or two) thin cases rather than the boring standard case. But I guess it's the episodes I'm getting if for. I ordered the set on Tuesday 7th June, as soon as it was up on movietyme (because they're usually really good with shipping). Anyway, in the past I had ordered something and it was dispatched more than two weeks before the release date and I received it 8 days before it's USA release (after 7 working days in the post)

Now, they said it would be 7-14 working days. Medium was shipped on Thursday 9th June and still, 14 working days later, no Medium. I can only hope to get it on Monday and cannot wait for the end of one of the greatest and most underrated shows to grace our screens.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2011 12:27:00 PM PDT
Mike Penn says:
If you ordered it the 9th it wasn't released until the 21st...i got mine friday i did reg shipping and got it by friday...they deducted my $ Tuesday so u should get it soon...now i just wih the blu rays would come out so i can get that.... you know there has got to be more...maybe they will do a movie or spin off let's hope...i think CBS should have ran the full 22 episodes so we could have seen more with the relationship, the girls, and more of Manny being Mayor and Allison being an attorney....it was the best show on the tele
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›