5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Laptop for Everyday Use, September 14, 2012
This review is from: HP Pavilion g7-2010nr 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
First I want to emphasize that I've only had this laptop a little over 2 weeks. In that time I have used the DVD burner to create the recovery discs (that's the FIRST thing everyone should do when they get a new computer, before they do anything else with it), the restore CD, a few other DVDs I needed to make (which ended up being fully compatible with my old Lenovo/IBM T61 laptop's DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive), had the computer running 24/7 for about a day and a night uploading backups, ran the computer almost constantly during the day for the past two weeks (on A/C power).

The computer performs fantastic, is very fast and stays much cooler (even in a hot apartment) than my old laptop did.

I use my computer not just for watching videos, email and surfing but also for my work doing web development and also running virtual servers for testing scripts, etc. Also another thing I did was make sure the OS and computer (including BIOS) was updated fully so I have the latest of everything.

The pros:

Very fast, plenty of hard drive space, built-in SD card reader (I use 64GB SD cards for backups), AWESOME SOUND (from headphones). The built-in speakers also aren't too bad. I have a pair of powered Altec Lansing speakers packed away and always loved the sound so I was glad to see that Altec Lansing audio was built into this laptop. Including Dolby which makes the sound (especially with headphones) truely awesome! You may want to also tweak it to your liking in control panel and Windows Media player, if needed.

The display is amazingly brilliant and sharp. Very rich colors. I love the size of this display. I was used to a 14" display on the old laptop and hated dragging out a 19" monitor I used to have. This lets me play some casual games and watch videos in just the right size. The laptop isn't so big that it won't fit on larger laptop lap desks, which makes it great for watching movies outside the home office.

There's a full size keyboard with nice large keys and a keypad. No more having to hit Fn-Numlock to get a number pad (which was integrated into the keyboard on my Lenovo laptop).

It took a bit to get used to Windows 7 but I'm looking forward to the Windows 8 upgrade which I registered to get for $14.95. You do that directly from Microsoft.

I was on Skype with a friend a couple times and was amazed I could talk and hear them and without no glitches while talking.

The built-in video isn't too bad for a low-end video camera. It could be nice for doing video chat or YouTube videos. Just be sure you have plenty of good lighting around you.

Love the White LED scheme. Goes well aesthetically with the look of the computer, which is a nice glossy black and silver accents.

The Cons:

The keyboard is back a ways from the front and it takes some getting used to.

I am still trying to get used to the placement of the keys. LIke the delete/home/end and the way the Control and Alt keys are between an Fn and Windows key on the left. Sometimes I end up hitting Fn instead of Control!

The Function keys you have to use the Fn key to get F2, F3, etc. F5 doesn't have a pre-mapped function. I had to get used to that but found that it was nice to be able to raise/lower volume and move between songs using the function keys.

The touchpad is really rough but since I don't use the touchpad much, it sometimes gets in the way. Thankfully you can double tap a little bubble in the upper left to turn it off. Though I think it should show an LED when on and not when off.

The screen is incredibly glassy. While this makes for an awesomely rich colored and brilliant display, it's also impossible to see if your laptop is facing a window or lamps or just about anything. It pretty much works like a mirror sometimes! I moved my desk around so that it's facing the wall to solve the problem.

The location of the AC power jack is on the right side towards the back. I liked my Lenovo T61's power jack location better as it was on the back of the computer out of the way.

The hard drive light is a tiny light on the side near the power jack and USB port. This is kinda inconvenient when you want to see hard drive action to see if the computer stopped or if something is using the hard drive a lot. So far I haven't really needed to check it though.

The WiFi light is on the F12 function key, which if you press F12, you would turn on/off your WiFi. I don't like this as it could be forgotten when using a program that uses F12. Also the WiFi light is either red for off or white for on. It doesn't blink to show if there's any activity going on (my old laptop's light was on the monitor bezel and would blink according to activity). Good thing the router is nearby so I can check activity if I needed to.

When you first log into the computer for the very first time, the desktop wallpaper is just plain UGLY! Sorry, but that really struck me as odd.

Other stuff:

I had to get used to the headphones and mic jacks being on the left side instead of the front. But in thinking about it, it's better this way if you are using a lap desk as then the headphones would fit.

I'm not crazy about the extra programs that came with it but I did keep some of them HP ones.

I at first thought it had Bluetooth built in but later found out that it did not. This was MY fault as I didn't read the advertisement fully. But it worked great with my little Bluetooth adapter and a few other devices also installed quite easily.

Overall:

Overall, I still quite happy with the laptop and intend to use it for everyday use be it personal, entertainment, work, etc. I do hope it'll last me a good long time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 12:07:24 PM PST
WinCrazy says:
Windows 8 adds no significant improvements over Windows 7 for all PCs that don't have a touch screen like this one and virtually all other laptops.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:15:08 PM PST
T.Carr says:
I agree with you 100%! I got Windows 8 installed but I have thought of downgrading quite a few times. I'm still undecided. For those with Windows 7 and no touch screen or those who buy this laptop, I'd recommend sticking to Windows 7 at least until its end of support life. However, Windows 8 does run on this laptop and if you use VLC Media Player it will also play your DVDs and Audio CDs. Also if you upgrade and find that you must install the Intel USB 3.0 support, I've read online somewhere that USB 3.0 support is included in Windows 8. I don't have any USB 3.0 devices to test it on though. Lastly, there are 3rd party programs out there that let you have a start button and customize your start screen. The ones I have though were shareware (which I purchased). Not expensive but still not happy one needs a 3rd party program to bring back features from Windows 7.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 7:25:47 AM PST
Keith Miller says:
Perhaps I do not understand but this computer is advertised now (Mar 2013) as having Windows 8 operating system. Yet, the reviewer (Sept 2012) had to pay $14.95 for Windows 8. What is your take on this?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 10:26:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2013 10:28:19 AM PST
T.Carr says:
Windows 8 wasn't available on this computer when I bought it near the end of August (and reviewed it a couple weeks later). It sounds like they are selling it now with Windows 8 pre-installed. If one has been following the news, they are phasing out all Windows 7 machines and putting Windows 8 in all new computers. So this is really no surprise that this very same computer is Windows 8. I got lucky. My system doesn't have the "secure boot" thing in the bios (and I haven't upgraded the bios after Windows 8 was released). I have switched to Linux Mint 14 (KDE version) and it runs great on this computer! Been running Linux almost 2 months now. But I don't know if the newer updated G7s will be able to even boot Linux if you decide to go that route.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2014 5:18:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2014 5:19:19 PM PDT
N. Wilson says:
Can you load Linux onto a machine while Windows 8 op system exists there?? I've loaded 2 separate Windows systems onto one machine with the earlier version loaded first. But those were both Windows op systems. Not sure if Linux would work like this. Any thoughts about this arrangement would be welcomed. Thanks!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (257 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $720.00