3.0 out of 5 stars okay. but odd routing, and no mac support, October 30, 2010
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 5045-LM 5-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps and Traffic (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So this is a midrange gps navigator that has a large (thankfully non-reflective) display, it has a good response time, and is encased in a somewhat cheap case.

The Good

It tells you which side of the road your destination is (unlike TomTom which shows you a tiny arrow if you have a magnifying glass).

The voice and the bell right before a turn are amazing, not annoying and the bell grabs your attention at the exact right time. Perfect.

Turns on instantly.

One Touch menu is just brilliant. One screen that has all your favorites etc.

Has unique hidden features like if you slow down too much on a freeway, it assumes you are stuck in traffic and calculates alternate routes.

The Bad

It wants to route me through the streets with the most stop signs for some reason? It's extremely stubborn about the routes it pics and will nag you to take u-turns or anything to get you back where it wants to route you initially regardless if it's the quickest path or not. It's as good as how well it routes. That is its primary purpose and it does a mediocre job.

It always overestimates the arrival time.

Doesn't display speed limits (if it's based on navteq maps so it should have that data).

When you don't have a destination in, it tells you what road you are on. Well, I know what road I'm on I would like to see what the next road I'm crossing is (Garmin does this).

Can't update maps with a Mac. Normally I don't have a problem with this as I would just avoid it, but nowhere on the Amazon page does it mention this. Another reviewer mentions this and it seems like fans of this navigator are attacking him... Now according to Apple, ~20% of new computers in the US are Macs, why would Magellan ignore that market share. I have Macs, many variants of Linux and other OSs but not a single Windows machine and I'm not going to get one just for this navigator. Both TomTom and Garmin support Macs. (my star rating does not take Mac compatibility into account)

If your region has no traffic data you get a constant red x in the display. And if you are in an area that has traffic, you have to manually intervene to reroute making it more dangerous.

Possibly a bug: if you go to map options and then click on map view, you will permanently go to different 2D modes and the only way to get back to 3D mode is to restore default settings.

Conclusion

The ultimate test: Would I replace it with the same model if it gets lost?

No. For this price range (while not that expensive), I expect a more polished product (actually for any price).

EDIT (Feb 2011): I contacted Amazon and told them about the Microsoft Windows requirement and they have since changed the description to include this.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 26, 2011 11:42:54 AM PST
J. Russell says:
You can disable U-Turn warnings in Settings/Navigation Options/ Enable U-Turns. The unit defaults to U-Turns, so you have to purposely change it. U-Turns warnings is the way Magellan lets you know you have deviated/detoured from your planned trip. In any case, if you detour by mistake or on purpose, it will recalculate your route to get you back on track, silently with U-Turns not Enabled.

"When you look for gas stations along the way, it doesn't tell you which direction they are, just the distance. Great, there is a gas station 4 miles away but I have no way to tell if that is behind me... "

It would be unlikely to guide you to a gas station behind you, but to be sure, in Settings/POI Visibility, check GAS as a visible icon, and it will show gas station icons on the map. Just touch the one you want. Another way is to save GAS as a One Touch favorite. I believe mind came with a GAS OneTouch already set.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 4:12:39 PM PST
or i can get something that works the way i want it to and not the way it wants me to.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 5:06:31 PM PST
J. Russell says:
Usually the way a design tries to get a product to work the way a customer wants is by providing lots of customizable choices to allow them to adjust its behavior. In this case, I have shown you two different ways Magellan allows you to get what you want.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 5:09:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2011 5:18:00 PM PST
I'd rather pay attention to the road than try to click on little things on a map.
While the 1-click menu is really nice, not knowing immediately which direction gas stations are is not ideal for a device that shouldn't demand your attention while driving.
Try this on a garmin and you will see how much nicer the interface is: The buttons are huge, so you don't get too distracted trying to aim, and an arrow shows up telling you which direction it is.

What's the point of putting a warning about the dangers of using the device while driving when the designers forget that and think you can devote your attentions to micromanage little things on it. I hope this clarifies my earlier comment that I would rather have a device that works the way I want it to, that is, not distract me while I drive?

Now you can provide more advice if you feel compelled, but I will never use this device again, ever. The reviewer that mentions that this uses teleatlas is right. I hate the routing, so the UI details don't matter if it won't get me there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 1:10:09 PM PST
L. Gagnon says:
I'm in the market for an affordable GPS, what would you recommend? I see you like Garmin. What model?
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 1:36:41 PM PST
That is a very difficult question. I have an older garmin that has such a slow processor that it can't update the screen while announcing directions, but I've seen other garmins that are fast enough and they work well.
I don't know exact models anymore. But my advice to be to get a higher end device that is maybe 1 model behind the new ones. I mean something that was top of the line last year or before, this way you don't pay a high amount for a new model but still get something that is fast enough.

Be aware though that the garmins with free traffic have adverts.

(currently I use the garmin app on my iphone so that I don't have to have another device to carry around, the actual garmin units are a little better than the garmin app though)

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful
‹ Previous 1 Next ›