Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars fine line between love and hate, April 13, 2011
This review is from: City of Fallen Angels (Mortal Instruments, Book 4) (Hardcover)
if you are anything like me then about a year ago or so you closed the cover of city of glass and placed it on your shelf with a satisfied sigh. It was a good ending to a great trilogy. For the next few months you would touch the books fondly as you passed by your bookshelf, reminiscing about the world clare had created. Then one day you heard the impossible, maybe from a friend, bookseller, or book review...there would be a fourth mortal instruments book "But i thought...!", you exclaim. Well, you thought wrong! Cassandra was indeed adding a fourth, fifth, and sixth installment to the beloved series. Your heart raced and your fingers twitched just thinking about it. So when that fateful day came you ran to the bookstore and grabbed the book. You went home, opened it and began devouring the pages. Except..you couldn't. Two days passed And you were only fifty pages in. Hmm how peculiar, usually you would have finished the entire book in one sitting. But this story was different. It didn't captivate you like the others had. Sure Simon was just as endearing as always. But the others. Well you just had the overwhelming desire to strangle them. Much like Jace did with Clary, in fact. Which you might add was rather annoying. Couldn't they just be together without any problems?! Jace had a completely different voice in this book. Gone were his witty banter and endearing arrogant nature. Sure, he had his moments. But most of the time he was in the corner brooding. Last time you checked twilight was still sitting on your shelf.... OH and the ending, Dear God. Way to take a hard earned twenty dollars and flush it down the toilet cassandra Clare! Why can't dead characters stay dead! move on! we are tired of living in the past! overall, this was not what i expected from one of the best book series i've ever read. Sure, ill read the next one. But i won't be expecting much...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 18, 2011 3:26:09 PM PDT
I love the intro to your review!! I couldnt have described my love for the series any better! I also agree with the rest. I loved her other books in the series and this one was the first I could put down and feel ok that I wasnt reading the whole book in one sitting.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 1:37:47 PM PDT
I absolutely agree with your love of the first three. 'Last time you checked Twilight was still sitting on your sheld' ;) I just found out there was a whole other 3 today, which I just happened to stumble upon while looking for the 2nd Infernal Devices book. My boyfriend's rushing out to buy a copy as we speak (which I'm sure we'll be fighting over) but [no offense] I hope the ending of your review isn't true! I have such high expectations and will be so disappointed if I end up feeling the same way. I guess we'll see.

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 6:48:29 AM PDT
I feel exactly the same way!!! I looked at those books with a sense of admiration. This book took me forever to finish because I just did not feel the passion I felt for the other books. I mean, I finished City of Glass while I was in Europe and it took me only 2 days between sight seeing to devour. I feel a bit disheartened by this book and I wish they would have just left well enough alone. Why do people always try to cash in more on something that was successful? They end up ruining it.

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 10:07:18 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 27, 2011 10:09:28 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 10:07:18 AM PDT
Veebear says:
As I was reading reviews this one is so true. I've been reading it off and on. Where I was hooked to the first 3, I can't bring myself to continue reading full out. I can already see what's going to happen so I lost interest. Honestly I'm more excited for Clockwork Angel's 2nd installment.
I felt this series should have atleast stayed a trilogy for longer. When series claim "Trilogy" then randomly come out with 4th.. They're usually uneventful. Take Twilight. I read them as they first came out. Honestly I thought they were decent (until I started reading more..) But the 4th book was terrible. I'm hesitant to finish this because I have a feeling it wont be far off.

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 10:08:51 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 27, 2011 10:09:09 AM PDT]

Posted on May 8, 2011 9:50:48 PM PDT
I couldn't agree more with this review. I was totally bummed by this whold book. Would have to really be desperate to read another one.

Posted on May 12, 2011 10:53:52 AM PDT
Morgan P. says:
Perfect review! I felt exactly the same way. I did not even finish reading the book and skimped thru half of the pages. Just didn't feel good reading it. I really wish Cassandra left the story at the end of the 3rd book. It was perfect!

Posted on May 23, 2011 10:10:22 PM PDT
J. Chang says:
Ahaha, this was the best review ever... You took everything I was thinking and said it much better than I could. The first three books are arguably my favorite, and I do sigh every time I go to my bookshelf and even get the urge to pet them. I still craved more when the series ended, but a part of me was always glad the series wasn't drawn out and ended on a high note.
I was excited yet iffy about the 4th installment and my skepticism was on point. The plot just didn't pull me in, and halfway through the book, I realized not much had even happened besides a few boring talking scenes with little to no action. And Jace was just less Jace-ish if that makes any sense. His comebacks weren't even witty. It was like Cassandra Clare had been concentrating on The Clockwork Angel so much she forgot how to get back into the heads of her Mortal Instruments characters. And near the end, I seriously thought, "Dude, Jace's body isn't possessed by Lilith--It's possessed by Edward Cullen!" And one thing I hated about the later three books in Twilight was Edward's ever-increasing seriousness, possessiveness, self-loathing, blah blah. I was always a Jace > Edward kind of girl, but I'm afraid now that Clary + Jace's love has become, dare I say, like Bella and Edward: "Don't look at me! I'm a monster!" "But I love you! I can't live without you!" "We will never ever laugh together ever again because we are so seriously and deeply in love forever and we will passionately make out only to be interrupted time and time again until we finally have sex in the final book!"
Not only Jace was butchered in this book though, I thought they all kind of were except for Izzy. Take Simon for example, he wasn't as rough around the edges, clumsy, or cynical. And Alec, when did he become an expert at reading people? And yeah, I get love was supposed to make him more confident than before, but I felt it was cheap to have the author just flat-out tell us "Herrrrrrrre's Alec 2.0--the new and improved model who loves himself and is generous and confident" without ever showing any signs through his actions. Even Magnus was almost himself, but not quite as outrageous either.
I dunno, I will still read the other two books in the series, but I hope they won't be slapped together like this one.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 4:14:40 PM PDT
MikeD says:
Thank you lovespell. I agree. I felt let-down by the book, even with the added humpf of Clockwork Angle backing the mortar of the series.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›