5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading, September 11, 2006
This review is from: Awol on the Appalachian Trail: (Paperback)
'Awol on the Appalachian Trail' is, quite simply, a wonderful book from start to finish. I have to say that it is one of the most enjoyable, honest, and inspiring accounts that I have read in a long time. This is the best book on the AT that I have yet found.

David Miller / Awol describes his thru-hike on the trail from Georgia to Maine in vivid detail; you really do feel like you are on the trail with him, sharing the highs and lows of the challenge. The conditions of the hike, the fascinating people that he met, the personal and physical challenges, and the gorgeous scenery are all poured into the pages for the reader to soak in.

Although I have not hiked the trail myself, I imagine that this book is as close to doing it yourself as it comes. His ability to narrate the trials and tribulations without downplaying or changing the finer details was appreciated, especially for someone like myself who aspires to one day rise to the challenge of the AT.

The companion web site is fantastic, putting the book in perspective with a wide array of dazzling photos. I found myself referencing them many times as I read new sections of the book.

This book inspired me to take the challenge of hiking the AT and change my life. How many times can a book do that?

Final thoughts -- highly recommended. 5 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 1, 2012 12:11:33 AM PDT
Good review.

Posted on May 12, 2013 12:54:37 PM PDT
May 12. 2012

Ah, yes, great review, and great book; however, it cannot be compared to the feeling of hiking and stopping to take in the view of the wonderous Appalachian Trail. The feeling of sky, so close one can touch, the swelling of wind, the swooping of birds, and running waterfalls, wild animals, and the majestic beauty each season offers is overwhelming. I can not even begin to put into words the emotions that swell within me each time I travel/and or hike the Appalachian Trail.

I would think this would explain why standing on top the Empire State Building did not move me emotionally. I was perplexed for days afterwards, wondering, and examining my inner thoughts, as to why I was not awed at the height and the view.

Weeks later, my thoughts came to a halt when the truth dawned on me. Where had I been born, and raised as a child? My homeland, a small Ivy League college town only ten miles from the entrance to the Appalachian Trail-this is where I spent my youth and savored the many times I went to hike on the Appalachian trail.

Years later, moving away from home, and living in many states, I still found the Appalachian Trail and continued to enjoy my hiking expeditions.

I have never been blessed to have the time or ability to hike the entire trail-but it is on my bucket list.

Thank you for the great review-yours was the only one I read, and responded to as I felt you must one day see this for yourself. (I do not know who you are (male or female) -I just felt the need to say you must go-:)

Here's to you with your face in the wind, the sun on your shoulders, blue sky, fog, snow or rain surrounding you, standing atop the Appalachian Trail.

Happy Trails

A. Crowell

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2015 11:02:50 PM PDT
Brimstone says:
Gee maybe I've spent too much of my life livin' in the outdoors (not really by choice) but doing nothing but walking, eating and sleeping for three months on end must be mind-numbingly boring. I can't possibly imagine how much more boring reading a book about someone else doing nothing but walking, eating and sleeping for three months must be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2015 4:28:04 AM PDT
you seem quite stupid. Maybe you can get a GED?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›