Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween

5.0 out of 5 stars It's more than a game, it's a bundle of Mario history, December 1, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition (Video Game)
This review is for the Super Mario All Stars bundle for Wii to celebrate Mario's 25th anniversary. Now to understand whether you want to buy this bundle or not, you need to break this bundle down to understand what you're getting. This bundle comes with a game, a book, and a cd. Let's look at the pieces.

Super Mario All Stars the game: This game is 4 games in 1. The games are: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (technically 2 in Japan, but that is a whole separate topic). Technically, this game is a direct port of a game of the same name released for the SNES in the early 90's. The updated graphics that the box refers to are updated from the 4 games in their original setting (8 bit) to 16 bit (which is what the original All Stars game was). The game for Wii is the same game for the SNES.

There is another All Stars game that was available for SNES that includes Super Mario World on top of the other 4 games. Super Mario World is not on this game. If you want to play it for your Wii, you will have to use the Virtual Console to get it.

The book: This is the History of Mario book. It has screenshots and art sketches of the game along with blurbs and fun facts about the games from the team behind Mario all these years.

The cd: The soundtrack history of Mario has 20 tracks. The last 10 are sound effects from Mario 1.

1. Aboveground BGM (Mario 1)
2. Aboveground BGM (Mario 2)
3. Athletic BGM (Mario 3)
4. Aboveground BGM (Super Mario World)
5. Slider (Super Mario 64)
6. Delfino Plaza (Super Mario Sunshine)
7. Aboveground BGM (New Super Mario Bros.)
8. Super Mario Galaxy
9. Title (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
10. Super Mario Galaxy 2
17. Lose a Life
18. Game Over
19. Course Clear
20. Castle Clear

I'll admit, looking at the track list, it is not all that spectacular. After all, only 20 songs? They could have fit more. But there is a reason for only 20 tracks. The tracks that are shown here were all handpicked by the series composer, Koji Kondo. He was assigned with the task of picking his favorite song from each game to represent the respective game. In an "Iwata Asks" interview for this game, the cd is considered Kondo's greatest hits.

Another thing to consider especially if you are buying this in America, is that we are getting a soundtrack at all. Nintendo of America has released soundtracks before, but they don't do it nearly as often as Nintendo of Japan or even of Europe does.

You see, most of the time for a game series like Mario, to get the official video game soundtrack, you have to import from Japan using, ebay, etc. Doing this will lead to a fairly high, but common cost of about $50+. So to know that Nintendo of America is releasing this soundtrack is excellent news. Nintendo of America does not release official soundtracks often, so this cd is that much more valuable even if it's only a "best of" type of cd as opposed to the standard complete soundtrack.

Conclusion: Even if you have complaints about the game being a direct port or inferior to a better game from yesteryear, don't let that prevent you from buying this bundle. The book and cd alone are worth buying it for the Mario fan in your life. Plus, the incredible value of 30 dollars. This is the textbook definition of bang for your buck, great value at a low price.

If you have any more questions about this bundle or anything else I mentioned here that you are still confused about, ask below and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Showing 1-10 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2010 12:17:53 AM PST
Autymn D. C. says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 3:52:18 AM PST
Can you elaborate please?

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 8:42:53 PM PST
So is the picture quality of the games the same as other Wii Games (i.e Super Mario Cart, Donkey Kong) or is it like closer 2 video quality of SNES? I live in the US and I have a Wii and everything from the US.. Will the games still work on my Wii without any special devices or add-ons to my Wii? And is each game the full game?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 4:14:48 AM PST
Okay, now to answer one question at a time.

Will I need a special device/add on?

If you buy the American release of this game when it comes out 12/12, you do not need any special device or add on. You would only need something to play an import version of this game (hacking your Wii to play import games or a Wii from the respective region).

Is each game the full game?

Picture quality same as other Wii games or SNES games?

I have not seen the game in person yet. I did however watch a video on youtube where the person reviewed a Japanese version of the game so I feel comfortable giving an answer.

One thing to understand is that the difference in graphics from one to another is practically nonexistent. As for the picture quality, there is a difference in favor of the Wii. Depending on the tv you are using (480p, 720p, 1080p), you will see an improvement in how the game looks since you are not using a CRT tv with composite cables. Because of this, the picture quality should look similar compared to other Wii games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 7:43:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2010 7:53:23 AM PST
David Bee says:
You don't have the game in hand? Hmm...not very helpful if based on assumption and You Tube:(

edit: My apology for the above dumb comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 8:38:25 AM PST
I'm sorry David, I'll just fire up my Delorean to travel to 12/12/2010, get the game, and comment more about how a video game looks.

Seriously though, compared to other opinionated reviewers, I have done the proper research via websites that anyone can access to learn about the contents of the bundle that is available for purchase. My specific area of research was targeted more at the extras that come with the game, the book and the cd, rather than the game. My sources are not just Youtube and assumption. My review was made to be as factual as possible with little opinion.

If you really want to see my sources: the video that I used to comment on the picture quality difference earlier this morning done by Pete Dorr General information that has brief descriptions about each of the pieces (the game, cd, and book) and trailer that shows game play footage Both volumes were used to talk about the cd and the game itself. Volume 1 talked about the cd, and volume 2 talked about developing the game for the SNES and for the Wii.

I hope this helps put to rest that I am not just a nut job on the internet and that I have done the research that this product deserves to make a credible and factual review

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2010 7:52:00 AM PST
David Bee says:
You're right. I kinda regretted my comment, came back to delete it. I checked out the stuff up on Nintendo Channel. Pretty good, mirroring what you already said. Can't wait for the game! Cheers!

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 10:00:05 AM PST
popmidi says:
If this product doesn't come out until December 12th, how are you guys in position to review it? I just went to a Target store in Oakdale, MN, and saw it priced and on the shelf. When I went to purchase the product, the cash register had what Target calls a "hard block" on the product, which means they cannot sell the product. Turns out that the product's official release date is the 12th, and cannot sell it until then. Yet some putz at Target put it out and priced it, and when I saw it, knowing how much my daughter wanted such a thing (I did not know it existed), of course I attempted to purchase it. But Target has refused to sell. So, can you tell me where you got your product, so that I may purchase one? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 12:21:19 PM PST
Bob, I do not have the product yet. I am in a position to educate people about the product based on what I knew of the original game based for the SNES, and the other sources I consulted that I posted in an earlier comment. I made the review based on information from those resources alone along with what I already know about the history of Nintendo.

Technically, you could have had it before 12/12 by getting the product from a different region. I do not see that as a practical way to get the game based on language difference and compatibility issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 12:56:22 PM PST