3.0 out of 5 stars It's interesting, July 29, 2012
This review is from: Rappelz [Download] (Software Download)
Maybe I'm too old to enjoy these kinds of games properly, but I'm not sure how much time I'm actually going to spend on this one. It's interesting, but it's frustrating and I'm not talking about the play of the game as much as the technical issues surrounding it. This is my second attempt at a PC MMO (the first was Stronghold Kingdoms yesterday; their technical issues as well as gameplay made me give up on it entirely.)

1. Expect a long download from Amazon. If you have a great connection, it won't be as long as mine was -- about 3 hours -- but it's a big file, so be aware of that.
2. When you hit the 'install' button -- nothing will happen. Don't give up. You might see an indication that the system is working for a little while, then that will go away and it will seem as though your computer gave up on the installation. Give it at least 3 minutes before trying again. I've put this on both my netbook and my desktop and it did the same thing to me both times, so it's not just my machine.
3. After installation, you can start the game. Which means another 10-20 minutes of downloading more content while it patches the software Amazon has downloaded.
4. Then it has to update the nProtect software that evidently has some sort of DRM like protection associated with it. This is (relatively) quick, though not immediate.
5. I then was able to create a character and start the game. Only to lose connection (this happened both on the netbook yesterday and the desktop today, so it's likely it will happen to others.)
6. So I started the game again. Much quicker, obviously, to get through the initial login process and for the nProtect to realize it had nothing else to download, but I had to create the character again and then start the game.

You pick a server to play on -- there are 4 which seem to be for people who are willing to engage in Player vs. Player situations, if they occur, 1 for people who really want to focus on the PVP aspect, and 1 for people who don't want to do PVP at all.

You might want to check online for walkthroughs, wikis, etc., to get an idea of what's going on before you actually go through the whole process, above.

Then you start the real game. Look for a guide who should be standing pretty close to where you appear. Look, also, for buttons to push to indicate that you've accepted a quest when you're talking to them -- you can talk to someone, go off and do the quest, and then come back to them but unless you remembered to push that button with the first conversation, they won't recognize that you've completed it. I also discovered I probably didn't want to do too much exploring of all the options on my own; I ended up in a Town and couldn't get back to the original area, so had to abandon a quest.

I did discover that you could delete your character and start over, so that's a plus in my book as I'm hoping following the quests all the way through will teach me how to get past some of the things I don't like.

It seems like an entertaining way to spend some time -- BUT -- I can't seem to figure out how to change the camera angles or the orientation of the character. So, if I want the character to go in a direction that is basically towards me, I'm taking teeny tiny steps in that direction as there's no obvious way for me to pull out and get a bigger view of the area. Double clicking on the small map does nothing but pull up a larger map, not tell your character that's where you want them to go. Then I requested help -- and got a popup window that wouldn't go away. Since it takes up a good 3/4 of the screen, it really wasn't something I could play around. And though I was able to move it enough to tell the program I wanted to quit, the program just ignored that instruction. I ended up going to the task manager and forcing the program to shut down. These kinds of technical issues make it very difficult to enjoy gameplay for me.

So......... it's free. At this time, July of 2012, Amazon has a special package deal when you go through them to download and start the game. It's got some potential in terms of the storyline. I'm expecting to play it some more and, perhaps, figure out ways to get it to do what I want. If you're willing to put up with the long implementation and have the time to futz with it (I guess, if you're going to play an MMO in the first place, you have the time, so maybe that should be the inclination to futz with it,) you should try it. How's that for an endorsement! :-)

Edited To Add: Figured out how to move camera angles -- hold down right button and move mouse. Now I have added motion sickness concerns to my list of problems with the game but removed some of the technical issues concerns. Also discovered that I now have two different characters -- one on a server that allows PVP and another on the server that doesn't. Which is probably why I had to create a different character; I probably moved to a different server. Still leaving at a 3 star review as it's still not moved to an "oh, I need to spend more time on this!" feeling for me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2013 10:54:04 PM PST
Ryan Sloan says:
use your mouse wheel to zoom in and out on the view and hold the left mouse button and move your mouse to change camera angels i have been playing this game since open beta trust me it is worth getting into. oh and get a pet as soon as you can they are extremely important in the game

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 2:30:04 AM PST
Raphael says:
I wonder if you are actually used to play (3d) video games, M. Oldham. You are talking about technical problems which are not technical problems but missing understanding of ordinary game mechanics. Best example: You say there is no way to zoom in and out, and the camera is fixed. Every person who plays video games on the PC knows that the mouse wheel is used for zooming in and out since ages and the right mouse button is used for turning around the camera. Then, you click the minimap and expect something other to happen than the map zooming in/getting bigger.
And the client size is 1.6 to 2.0 Gb, that's actually pretty small for an MMO. All in all, your review is ok, but not very useful because you obviously have no experience with any "real" MMOs whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 4:18:30 AM PST
M. Oldham says:
Thanks -- I finally figured that out after I moved to the desktop! (Both the mouse and the pet info, LOL.)

Ultimately, I found it boring and so am leaving it as a 3 star review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 4:21:37 AM PST
M. Oldham says:
Unfortunately, I started this on a netbook to which I had not attached a mouse. Until I moved to playing the game on a desktop, I had no means of using a mouse wheel. And I feel like I'm pretty upfront about the fact that it's technical issues that gave me the most problem. Though, ultimately, I found the game itself to be pretty boring. (If it's any consolation, I'm now playing six other MMO games. So I'm getting experience!)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›