4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it's meant to do, September 15, 2011
This review is from: Neewer® IR Remote controller for Canon EOS Rebel SL1/100D,T5i/700D, XSi/450D, XTi/400D, XT/350D, EOS Rebel/300D, EOS 30/33/30V, EOS 50/55,EOS 100, EOS 10, EOS 300V, EOS 300X, 300VQD, EOS IX, IXUS Jr/II/III, SURESHOT, ELAN7, Rebel T1 Date, Rebel T2 Date, Z180u, Z155, 120, 370Z, 370Z, G6, G5, G3, G2, G1, *S70, *S60, S1IS, Pro 1, Pro 90 IS (Electronics)
Length:: 0:40 Mins

I just got this remote control a couple of weeks back, and so far I am pretty satisfied with it. The shipment was prompt and it arrived even faster than some of the Amazon's own products. I am using it with Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi. I chose it over some alternative products due to its compact size which comes in handy when lugging around a whole bunch of camera add-ons. I am also extremely happy with the incredibly competitive price. I only have a couple of problems with it:

1. The user-instruction sheet is not very written and its not entirely clear on a couple of crucial steps in the setup. It would have been more useful to have something that explains the setup in some detail with each one of the Canon products for which it's meant to be used.

2. The range of the remote is rather limited. I have not measured it exactly, but it seems that it doesn't work beyond 15 feet away.

Here is a simple set-up procedure that worked for me:

1. Turn on the camera.

2. Press the "Drive mode" menu button. This is the same button as the left arrow on my camera.

3. Toggle between different settings using the left and right arrows.

4. Make sure that the "Self-timer/Remote control" option is highlighted.

5. Press the set button.

6. You are ready to roll. Point the remote to the camera (from the front of the camera) and press either the upper "S" button (for immediate shooting) or the "2S" button (for 2 seconds delayed shooting) buttons.

From what I understand, the other buttons are meant to be used with Canon's point-and-shoot cameras. "S" is for shooting, and "W" and "T" are for zooming out/in. They will not work with Canon's DSLR cameras.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 19, 2011 5:25:27 PM PDT
no reciever from the camera?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2011 10:37:58 AM PDT
Sterling says:
The camera's already have built in receivers.

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 6:37:04 AM PST
I can't get this to work on my Cannon xsi. Any suggestions?

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 4:50:43 AM PDT
Greg says:
Glad I read your review.I have had my remote for a few months and mine had no directions at all.I couldn't get mine to work until I read your review.I didn't realize timer had to be turned on. I was going to write this remote off and forget about it since it didn't cost much.I forgot all about until now.

Thanks

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 8:46:04 AM PDT
MonicaA says:
Thank you so much for the video demonstration. Very helpful for beginners like me!

Posted on May 1, 2012 4:31:52 PM PDT
BAKDIN1 says:
Does what it says. After turning on the timer option on my Canon EOS 60D. Short press to focus, hold it down to take the photo.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 6:51:09 PM PDT
Ken Stine says:
I have the same experience as you did. Just tried it and it worked!

Posted on May 16, 2012 7:06:53 PM PDT
Thanks! With your instructions - works just fine!

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 7:09:07 PM PDT
Lin Si says:
will it work for canon 60D? thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 7:43:22 AM PDT
Appears so.. Search the comments for 60d

1 example: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1NUQK90J08IDZ/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›