5.0 out of 5 stars why is this free?, October 1, 2011
This review is from: The Book of Deacon (The Book of Deacon series 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is so beautifully crafted, reading it makes my heart break that the author is not earning royalties. a LOT of work went into this...I know, because I'm a writer too... A LOT OF WORK went into this gorgeous, layered, rich story.

Why on earth is this free? I'm not meaning to complain, here. I think it's great that it's free, because if it hadn't been, I most likely would not have found this author.

But ... this is so beautifully done, I stopped several times while I was reading it, just to mourn the fact that it's free. That's a first for me.

The only thing unfortunate about it is the title, which isn't compelling enough to adequately represent the haunting, beautiful writing contained in this piece of work.

Who will like this: readers who liked The Hunger Games, the Pendragon series by D.J. Machale, books by Garth Nix or Terry Brooks; readers who like fantasy with danger and more sophisticated themes will enjoy this. It's an exploration of the effects of war on society and an individual coming of age story; it's also an examination of the effects of isolation on a person, and what it means to be "outcast," whether by choice or force.

the author is comfortable in the world he's created, so the reader can slip right into it--there aren't so many made-up words and names that you become aware of the writing and are constantly jolted out of immersion in the story.

Snap it up while it's free!

**edited: it looks like there is an update to this book, I'm assuming it's been edited. I love authors who do this - they're showing that they care about the quality of their product, and showing respect to the readers as well...another reason to appreciate this author.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2011 5:54:54 AM PDT
Joseph Lallo says:
Hello! Thank you for your incredible praise! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the story. Why is it free? Well, the book had been on sale for more than a year with very little success. I experimented with different prices, but once I had a second and third entry finished, I took the advice offered by several other indie authors and made the introductory book to the series free. I don't regret the decision for an instant. Not only has it earned me new readers who were justifiably nervous about investing both time and money into a new author, but the other books I've written have begun to earn money as well. I've been rolling the earnings back into the series, including the new covers for the trilogy and, you'll be happy to know, a revision of this book by a professional editor. The other books haven't been to a professional yet, but my friend and I re-read them and made dozens of corrections each a few weeks ago. I'll admit the title is a bit weak. The titles tend to be the last thing I come up with, and producing evocative names is one of the parts of the publishing process that I haven't quite got the hang of.

Thanks for reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 6:04:55 PM PDT
R. Wood says:
you have a gift. I am so glad your name is starting to be known; it's a frustrating thing when a truly good author is overlooked simply because they haven't been "discovered" yet.
Thank you for sharing your work, and consider me a definite future happily paying reader!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 7:37:22 PM PDT
Joseph Lallo says:
Great to hear it. Thanks again!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,432 customer reviews)

$0.00