5.0 out of 5 stars Stay Away from the Ultimate Edition, November 28, 2006
This review is from: Forbidden Planet (Ultimate Collector's Edition) (DVD)
Forbidden Planet is an incredible movie and no Sci-Fi fan should be without it. The transfer on the 50th Anniversary and Ultimate Collector's Editions is incredible. I've never seen the film look so bright, crisp and vibrant. The included documentaries and bonus footage are very entertaining and not to be missed.

A word of warning though, the Ultimate Collector's Edition is a bit of a rip off. The included Robby the Robot toy was the main reason I bought this set and it's much smaller (and less detailed) than the images lead you to believe. I haven't opened mine, but it looks like it's not even articulated. Definitely not worth the extra money I had to pay. The lobby card reporductions are nice, as is the tin case, but unless you plan to display these it's hard to justify the added cost.

Be smart, skip the Ultimate Collector's Edition and buy the 50th Anniversary Edition. You'll get just the exact same transfer and bonus material without the cheap toy and lobby cards.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2007 7:47:42 AM PST
Steven says:
but you don't get the iconic, art deco, cover. You may think I'm being sarcastic but I'm not. Not using the classic motif is insane. I don't know how the Warner HV guys even let the idea cross their minds.

Posted on Aug 21, 2008 12:41:02 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 22, 2008 5:13:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 5:15:53 PM PDT
M.B. says:
the little toy not being to your liking is just not a good enough reason to say [Stay Away from the Ultimate Edition]its this edition that will go sky high in collector value down the line.all other editions will be secondary.in a mere 3 years this will double if not triple in value,and even more so once its all sold and out of print.the whole package in my opinion is excellent.these days we are lucky to get such extravagance from a video company,in a time when most DVDs don't even give you a simple insert with chapter titles!!you should be thrilled to have this.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 1:45:18 PM PDT
We have to agree to disagree M.B. It seems we bought this set for different reasons. I didn't buy it for its collectibility but to enjoy its features. Those features weren't all that impressive to me so I noted as such.

I'll be upgrading to the Blu-ray edition soon which is sure to look and sound even more stunning which is the most important thing to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 9:04:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2011 9:12:46 AM PDT
Agree with original poster. It's nice to have the repro cards, but the Robby the Robot is a "Cracker Jacks" prize in quality and size. VERY disappointing given the publicity for the set, and especially in light of wonderful items in other "collector" boxes.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 7:30:39 PM PDT
I bought the 2 disc, 50th anniversary edition of FP about three years ago and played it a few times. Took it out yesterday after several months and it would not play in 3 players, giving a similar message as to inserting an incorrect disc. As this is the 1st time a DVD I own has corrupted in storage, I was curious to know if anyone else had had any problem with the principal disc (of course) in this set although I realize it's probably just a random event.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 11:42:02 PM PDT
William says:
thanks did not want a toy but do like the tin collectors box.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 11:43:33 PM PDT
William says:
want investment buy gold/silver.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2013 3:24:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 28, 2013 4:31:29 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 4:28:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2013 4:52:48 PM PDT
M. Standish says:
I fully realize that there are always better ways of saying something, and that realization usually smacks me in the forehead roughly 1.956 nano-seconds after I hit ENTER.

In this particular instance, I am referring to your following comment: "Be smart, skip the Ultimate Collector's Edition and buy the 50th Anniversary Edition." As a mega-fan of this motion picture since the early sixties when I first had the opportunity to see it, and as an owner of the Ultimate Edition, I wanted to respond to your comment by saying that I don't believe the purchase of this edition has much of anything to do with intelligence (smart, dumb, etc.), and dang near everything to do with personal preferences.

I preferred to purchase this edition (after careful research) primarily because of the collectible and cool-looking tin, followed by the great two-disc set, then the lobby cards, and finally Robby. I was reasonably certain that Robby wasn't going to be anything "to write home about", and wouldn't be equipped to shock the monkey, but I welcomed its' inclusion just the same.

Astounding film any way you slice it! And who would have imagined back then that prim and proper Leslie "Let 'er rip" Nielsen would go on to achieve fame as one of Hollywood's greatest comedic actors?!? R.I.P.

Thanks for your time!