4.0 out of 5 stars An early partial review of Metro 2033, March 16, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Metro 2033 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Greetings and thank you for reading this,
I picked up Metro 2033 on midnight release and have logged only a short time in game but I thought this may help some on the fence about it. With little time in I will keep my comments short and related to my findings.
The first thing that stuck out to me was the graphics. Now again I'm only early on in the game but when you watch the initial cutscene you can see that the graphics are a bit stale and dated. Not to say that its another "Turning Point" or "Legendary" title because there is a game underneath the graphics that is worth the time and they are a step above the above mentioned titles.

The plot is engulfing and will likely pull you in if you were a fan of Fallout 3 like I was. The polish is not on par but there is definite meat on the bone of this title and the concept of a post apocalyptic russia battered by Nuclear warfare where the citizens have moved underground and formed their own independent communities separated by tracks and blockades is strong.
You take on the character of Artyom who has been surviving now for over 20 years in his own station. There are mutants all over the tracks and the overworld- created by the environment itself either by radiation mutation or by other more complicated reasons. A plot device that is a bit different than other similar games is that you must wear a mask when outside the confines of the underground tracks due to toxicity of the air. There is a meter that shows you the amount of air left in you tank via a watch that you must keep an eye on. This reminded me a bit of Lost Planet.

Still, I felt as if I was playing a game from about 2-3 years ago in terms of graphics. The engine is just fine though you will see definite problems with the movements of mutants and the staged events. you will also see some mapping issues and overlap. Early on there was a button contextual moment similar to Heavy Rain and I would imagine that they are adapting the GOW formula of timed button sequences. It is a first person shooter first and foremost and I would pretty much ignore the RPG undertone of reviews. It's there but minor at best. I liked the way the plot had some set pieces that you must navigate similar to Half Life 2 but again, not that quality.

Overall I will grade it as follows but I will adapt this upon further play.
Graphics- 7-8
gameplay- 7-8
story- 10 (for those who like the wastelands) maybe an 8 otherwise
sound - 9 (pretty good ambiance)
Replayability - unsure
Overall I give it an 8.5 early on.

I don't wish to write more now. Just some early impressions that may help you make a decision. Being a fan of the concept itself I'll play this one for the story itself and forgive it for its imperfections- just know that they are there and against a title Like GOW3 (which I also purchased) it is night and day as you might expect. I think it depends on the flavor you like. If you were jazzed up to get this one you will likely enjoy it. If you are on the fence about it I'd suggest a rental to see if it fits your needs. Thanks for your time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 16, 2010 9:59:29 AM PDT
Animal says:
I'm a big Fallout 3 player as well and I think I'm slipping to the "do not buy" side of the fence. Although I think I would enjoy the story, I want something with a sandbox element. I haven't seen anything on trailers or reviews on sandbox play but if you or anyone can enlighten me, I would greatly appreciate it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 10:14:10 AM PDT
T. Burns says:
I want to play it more to be 100% accurate here but in early progression it seemed a bit linear albeit I had just reached the larger map point of the game where things were opening up. Sadly my work schedule and sleep prevented any further effort but I'll be back on it tonight and will add to this so you can make an accurate decision. The lower pricepoint helped a bit in my decision. I got it for 50.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 11:21:22 AM PDT
C. Tanner says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 12:34:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2010 12:36:47 PM PDT
Guitarguy says:
He was just writing in hope to help people make a decision. He also mentioned in the comment above yours that he intends to add to his review at a later point. Also, he said that the compared, Metro 2033 and God of War 3 are night and day.

As for the early impressions review itself, I have to disagree with you regarding the graphics. I'm not the only person that believes that this one of the best looking games on the Xbox 360. Of course, I haven't played it yet. But comparing screenshots and videos to other games, Metro is beautiful. I wish you would've wrote more on the actual gameplay.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 1:01:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2010 1:02:48 PM PDT
T. Burns says:
C Tanner!!!! Look man, I'm not trying to tell you what to do. But with the lack of info on this at the places I look I just wanted to give someone a picture of what I'd seen. I also stated I will update it but cmon man. I have no agenda but to help someone (even a little) understand what this game was. Call me a fanboy or whatever. I've played games since the 2600 and and every console to date. I don't need a false sense of importance and I don't need an idiot like you doubting me. Like I care what you think. Yes I bought both and yes I played metro 1st as I knew what God of War had to offer. Excuse the hell out of me for trying to help. I still will update as i progress. Geez... I think I saw you calling out other people on here. I'm not Dr. Ranger Mccoy or something if you know that guy. I'm just a fan of games. and I play and own alot of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 1:05:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2010 1:05:43 PM PDT
T. Burns says:
Guitarguy- Yes, you are all over it. I even said that these were "early impressions" so it's not like I represented that I'd played the whole game. I told it the way it was, I just got the games and because I have a full time job and kids- i couldn't log 5 hours on the game this morning. Tonight I will play it and update ASAP. But isn't that the point of reviews- to help others make an initial decision.

Thank you for backing me up and actually reading what I said. I'll work to do a more complete review in time.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 1:10:01 PM PDT
C Tanner..
I did not PLAY GOW3 yet so I will not attempt a review. There are TONS of reviews on the game and every idiot knows it's good. I don't see anything on Metro 2033 here or other avenues so i did what 1 hour between 1-2:00 allowed me to do. Please don't jump on others until you fully read there review and better yet... How about adding something instead of trying to make yourself sound important or knowledgeable. You did the same thing you accused me of you. Check your freakin shoes if you smell something partner.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 1:54:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2010 2:01:05 PM PDT
C. Tanner says:
Anthony, the point I am trying to make is you are giving the game a rating score marking one thing a 10, marking another thing an 8, etc. This doesn't help people make informed decisions it actually make people make bad decisions because you didn't acquire enough data before writing a review. Based on your rating I probably wouldn't even buy this game.

Additionally, you rated the story a 10, yet you haven't experienced even 5 percent of the story. You rated the gameplay a 7-8 yet you don't know if the game offers a different type of game play later. I know you put in a disclaimer, but to me your review was pointless because you haven't experienced the game.

You all know what would happen if I did a review on let's say GOW3 and based my review on playing the demo that you can download from PSN, and then
said that the game is average, but mind you I only play the 20 minute demo. PS3 fans would come out of the wood works to flame me. Why though, I would
have used a disclaimer just like you did, but it wouldn't have mattered they would have flamed anyway.

Animal about decided to not buy this game because of your review or should I say prediction on how the game will turn out.

That's all I'm say, all this type of stuff does is reduce the effectiveness of the review process on amazon. It's better to have no review, than a misleading one.

One more thing, I apologize for calling you a fanboy earlier. But, it does look a bit fishy.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2010 7:44:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2010 7:49:06 AM PDT
C. Tanner-
I appreciate your words and validate your points. I just felt the need to give a first impression as no once else has. But your points are well spoken in this case and I am not trying to create a false sense of experience with the game. By the way I played GOW3 last night- Which would have been a better pick because that game is SICK. Best graphics I remember ever seeing and I'm not a GOW fan. It sucked me in with the polish. You can't liken a game like Metro 2033 against a platform changer like GOW3. I played a bit more of Metro and my initial feelings have not changed. There is a definite repetiveness to the game and the graphics feel outdated a bit. I'm not bored with it, but it has not drawn me in as yet. And I felt my hand moving over to pick up GOW. I will wait to review any further until I have a better experience to report and will take your words to heart. Thank you for stating the opposite view as I had not thought about it.

I do stand behind my initial impressions. The narrative thus far was good- The story is captavating if you like the Sci-fi thing. The gameplay does not pull you in as some games will and many FPS games just off the radar seem to fit this mold. The engine is ok the gameplay is ok. My ratings will always be between 5-10 because I won't buy a game without doing some preliminary research and won't suck down an overall rating by posting gibberish. This was a game that I was excited about that left me with an "ehhhhh" in the first hour. Most seasoned gamers know what they are looking for. Just offering a view of it that might stop someone from buying before renting. I feel confident that as the reviews pile up you will see very similar reviews. I will draw your attention to Gamestop's reviews as there are now some out with similar findings. Did these people play throught the whole game? Maybe? But ultimately they are echoing my sentiments. Rating and all. I'm a pretty good judge based on my many years of playing. Not to say I'm an expert. But I play ALOT of games. Probably like you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2010 7:49:09 AM PDT
I think the reviewer made it pretty clear that these were just early impressions and that his ratings could change over time. It doesn't seem as though he was trying to misrepresent the game or fool anyone into believing something that wasn't true. Sheesh.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›