1.0 out of 5 stars Gross mis-step by the usually exceptional Stargate team, August 11, 2010
This review is from: Stargate Universe SG-U: 1.0 (DVD)
To begin, I am a very hard-core Stargate fan. I have the original film, all of SG-1, all of Atlantis and all of the direct to DVD films. I was very hopeful when I first heard about the new series - although there were elements of the previous shows that I was not fond of, as a rule they were exceptional. I expected the same from SGU and it was a mistake.

It is difficult to get enthused about a show when you despise virtually all of the characters. Maybe one or two, that I can understand. But all of them? I can't necessarily blame the actors as I expect they are hostage to the script and director. This show has a group of the nastiest, most self involved characters I've seen outside a "reality" tv show. Petty, backstabbing behavior, chronic lies and betrayal seems to be standard with this group. These are just not nice people.

There is none of the humor or "team spirit" the prior shows were known for. The SGU characters are all about "me me me". SG1 and Atlantis characters were all about doing what is right. SG1 and Atlantis always had hope underlying the drama. Granted, the lightning in a bottle chemistry that was SG1 doesn't happen easily or frequently, and I didn't set the bar that high for this series and it still fell WAY short.

In the case of both SG1 and Atlantis the characters all struck me as being people I would want to know - people you would want to "have your back" in a bad situation. The cast of SGU makes me want to run in the other direction figuring it is better to face the danger alone than with them at your back.

The story ideas have been creative, but without the positive feel to them in the implementation. I can't work up any emotional investment in their well being, so the "dangers" have a very disconnected feel to them. I just can't get engaged in what is happening when they are running out of air, water, etc because I just don't care. It just isn't worth watching when you are just disgusted most of the time. I've given up watching. I prefer to re-watch SG1 or Atlantis.

Now, regarding the half series DVD release nonsense. Syfy doesn't seem to care much about their fan base since this isn't the first time they ahve done this... I think it is shoddy and money grabbing with no consideration for the fans - particularly if it isn't obvious that it is only half the season. I guess they don't care if they alienate their fan base.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2011 11:33:24 AM PST
Slo-Hand says:
This sounds like an extremely biased review. I can understand the 10 episode thing causing discern but the content of this show is top notch to anyone with an understanding and knowledge of sci-fi. The people in Universe are realistically rendered whereas Stargate Atlantis has James Bond(major Shephard) as a focal character along with other equally 2 dimensional action figures. There's nothing wrong with that but at the end of the day it can get old. If you're more comfortable viewing the more 2 dimensional sci-fi; fine but don't put down Universe because it doesn't jive with your cartoon mentality.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2013 10:36:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2013 10:39:48 AM PDT
Scubafiend says:
There is nothing in my review to indicate "Cartoon mentality" unless you feel anything with hope and a positive role model is cartoon. If you do, the list of classic SciFi with a positive message that you don't like must be very long indeed! I'm sure you hate all Star Trek, Star Wars, Alien, etc.

Since my SciFi library has a wide variety of styles of SciFi (including those above), I don't consider my taste 2 dimensional scifi. All reviews are based upon opinion. Try not to be so condesceneding because my view doesn't agree with yours.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.5 out of 5 stars (244 customer reviews)

$49.98 $9.99