5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Restored My Faith-Crystal Clear, January 27, 2008
This review is from: The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity (Paperback)
This is probably the most profound and best book I have ever read in my entire life. It has brought me totally back to God. I have never felt better. I totally identified with Mack and the Great Sadness which has been in my life also.

I am a Viet Nam combat vet. In Viet Nam I had forsaken God. I could not believe that God would permit such things to happen on Earth. But as I learned more about WWII and Korea and other World events my lack of disbelieve just strengthened. Until about six and one half years ago I felt a need to come back and test the waters. My oldest son was in 9-11 as a paramedic (he went in on his day off) and I was so proud of him, but I felt a need to find my faith, because he had found it. He was a block away from the second tower when it collapsed. He went on to fulfill his lifelong ambition to become a New York Fire Fighter and actually entered into the prestigious Squad One. But oh, what a price for him and his family to pay. So much death to witness, and all of those funerals to attend. I wished I could have protected him from that, but I could not. I failed. I hold myself accountable for this lack of ability to successfully fulfill my mission in life as a father, just like I do the men I sent to their deaths in Viet Nam and the hundreds of people I have killed. I have lived with Viet Nam inside me for over 35 years until recently. These are only some of the crosses I bear. This book has brought me full circle. It has helped me to restore my faith. I have helped several people to purchase this book and I will continue. But I now know what is important and what is not so important.

My Step-daughter Lisa recommended I read this book after she read a Christmas message I sent to all of my children, step-children and special friends over and over again. I had sent a picture of Arlington at Christmas that had touched me very close to my heart. So I wanted each of them to see this and understand this was the price of liberty and that there were men and women who were willing to give their lives on foreign soil to guarantee their rights under the constitution of the United States. I penned a personal message to each of the couples or person along with the general message.

To John and Lisa, who are House Pastors for a local church, I was sorry I was not stronger for them when Kelsey their newborn went to heaven. Kelsey was born with a small aorta and Dr. Starr in Portland, OR was going to fix that. He was the best. I felt we were fine, but I had no faith, just my gut instincts that had gotten me out of every other jam before except a couple that resulted in loss of life. I went to the hospital every noon to see Lisa and Kelsey and got to hold Kelsey and she was so innocent.. So the day came, Dr. Starr entered the waiting room with the bad news. Kelsey had not survived. John went to pieces and Lisa was helping him because she seemed stronger at the time. My wife was asking me if I was going to go to John and help him. She said this several times. I was standing up, but I was not there. I was near a river west of Danang trying to get two of my men out of a jam that I had ordered to stay back and lay down fire so we could extract some wounded. The smells, the visual, the noises were all real. My men were dead and so was Kelsey. I never told anyone about that until I wrote that letter. So Lisa read that over and over and recommended I read "The Shack". I am so glad she did too!!

I never loan books, so I gave it to a close friend. I purchased the hardbound edition for keeping and rereading.

Since reading "The Shack" I have never felt so whole in my entire life. I have redevoted my life to Jesus and I have laughed with him in his presence. Thank you for the Great Book. Thank you Paul for introducing me to Mack. He made me realize I was not alone. Be careful when they make this into a movie. I am not sure how they can do it justice.

One more thing. Take your time reading this book. Take time to smell the roses. If you cannot, then read it again.

Remember who is writing this review!! As Paul Young told me, live one day at a time and live in the moment. It is the only thing that is real. Enjoy your life!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 16, 2008 3:42:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2008 3:43:58 PM PDT
Dave, are you writing at this time, I would encourage you to seek Papa about that. The scene in the hospital took me right into that moment. If you haven't already, give it a go.

Posted on Aug 27, 2008 7:02:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 19, 2009 8:45:17 AM PST]

Posted on Aug 30, 2008 12:34:37 PM PDT
Thank you, Dave.
Viet Nam changed many of us.
Some of us have never found our way back.
I am now raising the child of one who did not.
He came back physically, but not mentally, emotionally, spiritally.
This book can help many find their way back.
Dr. Dave

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2008 10:30:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 1:55:25 PM PST
Dear Kathleen,
Thank you very much for the very kind words. I just realized that I had some very nice comments to respond to so I am sorry for taking so long to respond to you. In answer to your question, I am not writing. I have thought about it as a therapy to help my healing, but I have never taken the leap. I will take your kind suggestion seriously. As Sarayu said, "If anything matters, everything matters."
With Love,
Dave

Posted on Dec 4, 2008 1:54:34 AM PST
Hi Dave,
I just finished a book that I think you would really be interested in! It's called The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. It's an amazing true story that I think everyone should read, about a watchmaker's family in Holland who helps Jews escape from the Nazis. It is very inspirational and I keep thinking about so many different parts of it that have challenged me to have more trust in God, to be more thankful in all situations, and try to grasp just how wide and long and high and deep is the love of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Please read it - you will be blessed!

Sincerely,
Joy Waters
from Tennessee

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 7:21:41 PM PST
Dear Joy,
Thank you so much for the recommendation. I am always looking for new books that strengthen my relationship with Jesus Christ. I will pick up a copy and read it.
With Thanks
Dave

Posted on Dec 27, 2008 10:38:19 PM PST
Simplicity says:
Blessings Dave:

Your review brought me to tears. I am so thankful for the many ways God can get through to us. Keep the eyes of your heart open to Him. Eph 1:17-19

Bev S

Posted on Jan 3, 2009 9:00:49 AM PST
Dave, I want to share an important book with you, it is "Induced After Death Communication" by Dr. Allan Botkin and there is also a website. He accidentally discovered a therapy for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder while working with military vets. This therapy is also helping people with grief. Please take a moment and check it out. Best Wishes and thanks for your service to our Country that no person wants to recognize the horror of what is demanded of our citizens, the great book review and for sharing your personal experiences. Julie

Posted on Jan 7, 2009 9:22:15 AM PST
Dave, it has been a year since your comments about the book, The Shack, I just want to tell you that they are still touching hearts. My heart was touched with your sharing. I was deeply touched reading the struggles you have been through since Viet Nam. My husband is also a Viet Nam Vet. I read The Shack and liked it so much that I told my husband I would read it to him each night (a chapter or so a night). He liked it so much, he stayed awake and asked me to keep reading. I got so much more out of the book, the second time I read it.

Posted on Jan 13, 2009 12:45:12 PM PST
K. M. Hunter says:
I also enjoyed this book. In fact I went to Amazon just to read reviews and make sure i wasn't over reacting. I'm not, and I especially enjoyed reading your reviewand gained a little insight into the horrors of Vietnam along the way. Thanks
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (8,203 customer reviews)
 (5,721)