Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Old sound, New sound, meh., December 26, 2011
This review is from: El Camino (Audio CD)
I must be a freak of nature because I've been following the Keys for years and I've enjoyed every album without exception. People who call themselves purists and are missing the "old" sound are just confused about what makes these guys so great. Ever developing and stretching what's possible. Each album is it's own life, don't judge one album by another. That's like a parent judging one kid by another; just wrong. If you want a bunch of "thickfreakness" or "rubber factory" then you shouldn't have ever bought another keys album after those ones. Plain and simple. This album is as solid as any other, take it for what it is; not for what it isn't.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 12, 2012 6:06:24 PM PST
S. Cloud says:
I totally agree.
Although I am partial to the older Keys' sound, I love Attack and Release. Of course they have to evolve. And I think true artists are going to explore and stretch their talents, not just hash out the same old stuff for decades until the finally fade into irrelevance like so many popular bands have done.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 2:24:16 AM PST
S. Moore says:
I take exception with your review. Not because you like this album, but because of the condescending tone you take. If you like it, cool, but it's in poor taste to call people "confused" and tell them what they "shouldn't" do if they don't like it. You didn't actually review the album; you only told people how dumb they are for not liking it. If speaking from your pedestal down at people is what you're about without addressing the subject at hand, perhaps this was the wrong forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 11:17:02 AM PDT
RICH WARN says:
There is nothing wrong with his review...condensending tone? Really? Most of the negative reviews are about them not sounding the same as the earlier albums. This person hit the nail on the head when he addressed that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 10:15:31 PM PDT
Yes. Really.

I feel I explained myself clearly, but I will give it one more shot. To condescend is to talk down to someone with an air of superiority. This review states that anyone without the same opinion as the reviewer is "confused." It's as though he's talking to a child who can't understand. One would be hard pressed to find a better example of condescension.

I agree, many of the negative reviews for this album are about the Keys not sounding the same. I never disputed this. My point was, this review is a commentary on other reviews, not a review in itself. An actual review should stand alone, not depend on what others have said. And there is a more appropriate place for commentary: The comment section.

Posted on May 10, 2012 2:03:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 2:09:01 AM PDT
BostonHolly says:
I agree with DanDN. People change, tastes change, life situations change. I used to love Capt. Beefheart, bought everything he did , went to every concert I could afford (or not). Uuntil he went mainstream. I liked some of it but didn't like the rest as much. so I didn't update my collection and simply enjoyed what I liked. It never occured to me to get my knickers in a twist because he changed his style and some peole didn't like it more than others didn't like it.Some loved it . So fn what ? The only thing that mattered is that I liked what I bought. No one was a moron because they did or didn't like what they heard. It's subjective. I like pumpkin ice cream. that doesn't make someone else a dweeb becasue they don't like it. some people don't like anything ,ever and they love to complain. Others are easy to please. It's subjective and based upon personal preference. In the end, what difference does it make? I will like a band for years, then I change and my life changes and what suited me at 15 may not suit me at 102. Who cares ? I got flamed by some guy because I like the drummer of TBK. that's my perogative isn't it, to like what I like. Or not like what I once like or like what I once didn't like. the band can do what they want, they're artists and they love playing original music. It's their perrogative. So, to all the naysayers puckered up in disgust, please remember Rule #62: don't take yourself so damn seriously.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 7:24:19 AM PST
Pot meet kettle.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 10:38:18 AM PST
Andrew says:
The only thing I got out of this review is pumpkin ice cream. And it's delicious. Anyone that doesn't like it is truly bizarre.

Posted on Jun 15, 2014 9:27:38 AM PDT
Javier Saenz says:
they are human and artists, they grow and their music is a reflection of that fact. So tired of people invoking the earlier albums as a way of asserting their superior fandom. I for one am glad they've grown...move or die people, move or die. This Album rocks, even if it is distinct from the earlier albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2015 7:57:20 PM PST
jaxmicha says:
I think it is interesting that while discouraging someone from using a condescending tone, you write the most condescending post on this feed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2015 8:56:11 PM PST
S. Moore says:
I see what you're saying. But at the same time, I see the condescensions as different. This guy came out and said "if you don't like the same music as me then you're confused." A blanket statement that his opinion is better than anyone who disagrees. I took exception only with him, and addressed only him, because I felt what he said was way too broad of a stroke; to put everyone down who doesn't like this album. I don't think anyone is in the position to speak down to that large of an audience over a difference of opinion. But I do think talking down to this one person who would say something this stupid is called for. That's my two cents. If you disagree, you disagree.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›