5.0 out of 5 stars An old Windows guy finally turns to Mac, November 29, 2012
This review is from: Apple MacBook Pro MD212LL/A 13-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
I've been a computer guy for over 30 years. Starting with Apple II (among others) and the original Mac with floppy disk (oh man!) I have been a DOS/Windows user for the most part. All of our computers, servers, network have been based on the Microsoft platform. The main reason was the flexibility of creating your own applications and systems. But Microsoft software has had its share of problems and they just can't seem to get rid of them. It's gotten to be annoying and the new versions today really don't offer much improvement.

My wife wanted a new computer to use while she works on her Masters. Macs are abundant at the university level both by students and professors. After some online research we went to the Apple store and within an hour and a half we walked out with a MacBook Pro with Retina Display. It is actually a joy to work with!

The MacBook Pro easily connected to our network which made it painless to transfer files. The only issue so far was transferring email. There is an app on the Apple store for $1.99 that works, sort of. It transferred most the Outlook Express folders but the larger ones, like the Sent folder, had to be separated out into smaller folders.

We have the 13.3 inch display and find it to be a perfect size: the laptop itself does not feel too big, the Retina display is superb. The Mac interface has also started to grow on me. While a lot different then Windows it doesn't take long to work around the system. Very intuitive and easy to use.

The touchpad is the best I've ever used. It's like having the features of a tablet. Using different combinations of fingers you can easily scroll around the system like on tablet. (I still like to have a mouse - old habits die hard...)

The laptop itself is well built: aluminum case, lightweight, looks great. With the Pro we got 8gb RAM and the 128gb Solid State Drive. While the 128gb drive may seem insufficient, most of our data files reside on the network and you can add 128gb SD card or USB/Tunderbolt drives. The lighted keyboard looks really cool, too!

The Pro connections include: 2 Thunderbolt ports, 2 USB 3 ports, HDMI port, SD card slot, headphone and power. The power adapter can be plugged directly into an outlet or with the included extension cord. It also includes a 720p HD Camera.

The one issue I have is not having a file explorer. I have to know where my files are and find them quick and easy. There are work arounds but a little annoying for me.

We bought ours at the local Apple Store. Using the latest in technology our purchase was made right there on the spot then someone brought it out from the back. The sales rep walked us through setting it up. While we could have easily done this ourselves, it was nice to make sure the unit worked and get a basic run through of the operating system since we are used to the Windows environment.

The MacBook Pro isn't cheap but it's not over priced either. It is well built and deigned with great features. We felt the extra $500 is worth getting the Pro over the Air for the extra RAM, ports and the Retina display.

There was a time when file formats were an issue but we are finding the Mac works very well in our current Windows environment and plan to get more in the future. Windows is getting old, Droid is too basic Mac seems to be the wave of the future!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2012 9:15:53 PM PST
A. Tatarsky says:
The Finder is a pretty good file explorer, though I don't know Windows enough to know exactly what you're referring to. Spotlight is phenomenal. Command-spacebar gets you there. I use it to find or launch almost everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 3:18:10 PM PST
SMXSteve says:
Yes, Finder is what you use but a lot different than Windows Explorer. In Windows I can see every single file including system files and where they are located in a tree structure. Used it for too long I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 3:15:31 PM PST
Google showing invisible files in OS X. You'll see EVERY file you never really wanted to.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 1:25:18 PM PST
Aeriam says:
For someone who claims to have worked with computers for so long, you sure seem to lack basic skills. Yes, the Finder is the equivalent of The explorer, or Nautilus or Dolphin or whatever any File Explorer someone could use. You can add tabs to the side pannel of a File Explorer window to quickly get to certain locations, Personally, From my past of using Linux and Windows heavily up to even this day, I use mac's File Explorer to navigate quickly and effective at work, I find the search tool to be useless to me unless I am calling up an exact folder. However, Anyone so use to systems should have been able to figure out Macs fairly basic file explorer.

Your ending statement is especially poor. You see, there are three main groups of Operating systems in today's world. NT(windows), Linux(Ubuntu,Mint,etc) and XNU(OSX & IOS). The Android system is built on Linux, however, it was and is made to only be a Mobile OS.

in short, your a fool.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 5:26:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2013 5:27:40 PM PST
SMXSteve says:
Hey dummy, that's great glad you spent the time to try to berate my review. If you know so much what are you doing here?

I'm a Windows developer I rarely use the front end, so what.

And speaking of poor ending statements. That was dumb.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 2:32:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2013 2:33:20 PM PDT
Reva says:
in short, go get an ice cream cone and stop being nasty online please. Steve is just trying to help others (like me) decide. I appreciate his post
‹ Previous 1 Next ›