5.0 out of 5 stars Good for non-bowling items, December 22, 2011
This review is from: Bankers Box Home Organization, Small Storage Box, 4 Pack (4663501) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With the Bankers Box Stackable Storage Box, Small, 4 Pack (4663501) you get four flat-pack cardboard boxes with lids that you have to assemble. I was utterly unable to make sense of the illustrated instructions for assembly, so I gave up and just banged away at it freehand.

I figured out the first box proper in 8 minutes 54 seconds and the first lid in 2 minutes 3 seconds for a total of 10 minutes 57 seconds. The second one, once I knew how to do it, took 2 minutes 19 seconds for the box proper and 1 minute 1 second for the lid for a total of a total of 3 minutes 20 seconds.

At this rate you would finish assembling all four boxes plus lids in 10:57 plus 3 times 3:20, which is 20:57, which is an average of 5 minutes 24 seconds.

But then, just for the purpose of this review, I got really drunk and attacked the third and fourth boxes, and I still managed to assemble them in an average of 4 minutes each, although that counts completely forgetting to insert the plastic window in one of them and having to undo and redo one of the steps, which is why I almost never ply my trade as an eye surgeon when I'm really drunk.

Unlike other reviewers I did not find any pieces of the cardboard to be too long or too short. I did find it possible to try to mate two of the four black plastic handle pieces in such a way that I was trying to mate two males whereas it should have been -- duh -- a male and a female, but then I realized all I had to do was examine any three of the four per box to sort it out.

The inside dimensions of the size I have, which is the Small, are 6 inches in height, 15 inches in length and 12 inches in width. That calculates to 1,080 cubic inches, which is 0.625 cubic feet (1,080 / 12^3).

Four such boxes will therefore hold a teensy bit less than 0.0925925926 cubic yards ((1,080 * 4) / 36^3). Because these four boxes taken together hold less than a tenth of a cubic yard, I do not recommend them for disposing of a week's worth of yard waste or for storing even a day's worth of giraffe feed unless you have one of those pygmy giraffes.

The boxes are as sturdy as you could expect from cardboard, and the two plastic handles make moving them easy, even if the boxes are packed tight against the two ends where the handle openings are. This is a clever design feature, that might be worth a dollar or two to you.

The boxes can be broken down to their original flat-pack confirguration, which operation requires almost no brainpower but a bit of patience to get the parts separated without damaging them and a bit of strength to decouple the mated plastic handle pieces.

This box suffers from a number of limitations I tested and that need to be mentioned.

-- It is not all all non-flammable. I tossed one onto a campfire last night and it burned pretty quickly. If you plan to perform this test just to see whether I'm right, I suggest that you not fill it with any of your precious photographs first.

-- It is useless as a flotation device. I dropped one, filled only with air, into my across-the-street neighbor's swimming pool and tried to use it to keep me floating the way an airliner's seat-flotation device has successfully kept me floating more than once, once in the middle of the Pacific Ocean for over two hours, and the Bankers Box Stackable Storage Box, Small, 4 Pack (4663501) didn't work for more than about two seconds, at which point it filled with water and dropped below the surface. Also, if you plan to run this EXACT experiment you should probably, as I learned the hard way, get my across-the-street neighbor's permission first, at least if you're planning to do it at around 3:00 in the morning when you're really drunk. His name's Bert.

-- You cannot store even as few as one bowling ball in one such box unless you use a chain saw or something to separate it into several smaller parts. If you plan to run this experiment, I recommend stealing a house bowling ball from your nearest alley rather than hacking up your 17-year-old's $180 ball, just in case it turns out she sincerely disapproves of this experiment because she yet again made the team this year and was planning to use that ball in its original spherical form.

-- You cannot remove the lid and turn the box upside down and attach strings to the four now-bottom corners and expect it to act as a parachute when you jump off a tall ladder while holding the strings in your hand the way Mary Poppins held her umbrella. You can also expect that few personal-injury lawyers will want to take your case against the manufacturer in your million-dollar lawsuit once you explain the circumstances in detail. Not one, not two but three of them so far have used the phrase "normal, expected use," whatever that means exactly, as though it's some sort of magic mantra. Cowards.

I do not subtract any stars for the four failures I list above -- and, believe me, there are more -- I just thought you'd want to know.

This product exactly meets its specifications, it is well-designed and well-manufactured, it is pretty darned sturdy for being corrugated cardboard, and it altogether meets my standards for a five-star rating. Whether it's worth the price is up to you, but you will get what you pay for.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]