Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Platforming Trilogy In Gaming History Is Back!, February 7, 2012
This review is from: Jak & Daxter Collection - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
If you're looking for a review of the games themselves, I suggest looking up the original reviews for the games here; Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy Jak II Jak 3. I will simply be reviewing the new features for the trilogy package as a whole.

1. HD: The visuals in this game have definitely had a huge overhaul. The frame rate is a smooth 60fps, with hardly any hiccups or slowdowns. The character models look much more detailed and fine tuned. Environments look beautiful as well, and seeing many iconic locations remastered with detailed HD graphics can only be described as nostalgic. I hope they keep up the good work they've done with updating these PS2 classics when they make the Ratchet & Clank Collection.

2. 3D: For many, this won't matter since the number of 3D TVs in households is still a slim number, but for those who do (myself included) it's a feature well worth mentioning. They did a great job making the visuals really "pop". The multiple layers are well placed for dynamic depth perception. It' really been a joy to play the trilogy in 3D so far. You can adjust the depth to your liking, but I found the default setting to be just about right.

3. Trophies: If you're looking for a few challenges while replaying the trilogy, Naughty Dog's got you covered. The trophies range from challenging to pushover, but it's still been fun collecting them, as they have you doing things you might have otherwise never tried. The platinum trophy should give gamers a pretty big challenge to obtain, but with games like these, you'll enjoy every moment of the effort.

Naughty Dog's Jak Trilogy has long been a staple of the platforming world and replaying these games is a stark reminder why. It's a steal for $40, but for any less it's a must own! They just don't make games like these anymore, and they probably never will again, so it's definitely worth picking up a copy and reliving the joys of playing the original trilogy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 7, 2012 11:00:09 AM PST
Vorhese says:
Great review, just the info I needed to force my hand and make this purchese

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 2:23:35 PM PST
BRITKO says:
I'm trying to persuade my wife to let me get it!

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 4:17:10 AM PST
Gabe says:
Hey, thanks for the informative review. I notice you mentioned "...when they make the Ratchet and Clank collection". That's my favorite series of all time, but I haven't heard any news about an HD collection. Have you heard anything official?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 9:53:19 AM PST
C. Ramos says:
I haven't heard anything official about the R&C Collection, but it's the next logical move for a Sony Classics re-release. I'm guessing they'll announce it at this year's E3.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 5:28:34 PM PST
Gabe says:
We can only hope that we will see that furry lombax and his backpack robot soon...

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 1:34:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2012 1:36:27 PM PST
Dr. Paul says:
Never played the original Jak & Daxter, but I did a couple of 100% completion campaigns in JAK 2 and JAK 3. I actually had a lot of complaints about JAK 2 in terms of a lot of the "tasks" you were asked to do because the combat mechanics (specifically the gunplay) were so sloppy. I did, however, sort of grade it on a curve because this series is, technically, a platformer, and making the transition to the sandbox genre is NOT an easy one. I have to admit that JAK 3 was one of of my FAVORITE PS2 games to date, and I rank it right up there with the original PS2 GTA games in many ways. Naughty Dog really improved EVERYTHING when the went from 2 to 3. What a fantastic title! Honestly, buying this collection would be a complete no-brainer if I liked JAK 2 more and had any interest at all in Jak & Daxter, but the truth is I am not a platformer fan, so the original game holds absolutely no interest for me, and I am not sure I can sit through JAK 2 again. However, I am seriously considering getting this just to play through JAK 3 again in HD. Not sure if I want to pay forty bucks, though, for what is going to basically amount to one game that I actually care about. I might wait until it come down in price.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2012 1:49:19 PM PST
Gabe says:
Dr. Paul, what you need to do is go online to the Playstation Network. There, you can buy Jak 3 HD alone, for $15. Problem solved!

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 12:12:08 PM PST
salahidden says:
Thank you, for the informative review. Reviewers like you are the only reason I bother to look at the comments. I appreciate your effort.

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 4:58:30 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Greatest Platforming trilogy in history? But you reviewed Jak and Daxter, not Sly Cooper.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 4:34:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 5:25:24 AM PDT
Bone says:
R&C Collection is scheduled for Q3 2012, Idol Minds are the outfit working on it.

Update: Latest rumor is now May!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›