5.0 out of 5 stars This is What I Wanted the First Book To Be....., April 2, 2008
This review is from: Intertwined (Handspun Revolution) (Hardcover)
After I was so disappointed in the very expensive very small book from Pluckyfluff called HANDSPUN REVOLUTION, I was not very optimistic when I had a few enthusiastic spinners recommend this new book INTERTWINED to me.

I nodded and then laughed inside- "Yeah, like I am gonna pay an arm and a leg for another few pages of nothing!"

The first book was nice, but only worth about $7 or so to me- not the hefty $36 price (retail) for a literal handful of vague pages of photos and instructions on some interesting yarns that the author created.

This book, however, is a completely different story.

I have only been spinning a year and a half, but I am an artist so I want some creative new ways to push my spinning and knitting and crocheting. I am not content to create run of the mill yarns and projects. I want something interesting, unique and creative.

INTERTWINED is a wonderful book. LOTS of pages. LOTS of information. LOTS to inspire all kinds of spinners and creative types like me who want to take spinning and creation to a whole new inspirational level.

The book is set up just a little ADD with smatterings of political rantings here and there, diaries of a day in the life of a project stuck in, but that is part of the charm. It is not a reading from start to finish book, but rather the kind you can pick up and thumb through to pause on a part that interests you at the moment.

I find that Intertwined is well worth the money and the odd spinning projects using paper and other strange things are just fanciful, yes.

However, there is a lot of other information in this book worth getting it for.

I like the diagrams inside of how to spin certain creative types of yarn. I also love the photographs not only of the yarn, but of the finished creations made from the yarn. There is a lot of inspiration for those who want to be freed of restrictions in using fiber to spin as well as making projects from that fiber- letting the fiber tell you where it wants to go.

There are plenty of projects inside for scarves, knitted unique hats- even ties. I was surprised to find some weaving in here as well. And some very creative uses for old clothing, spinning and crocheting or knitting.

Intertwined is an exercise in creativity with plenty to motivate and ignite that part of you that just needs something to spark you on into another level of art using fiber and spinning.

I highly recommend it.

If you are a practical person who gets upset with a little slub of fiber in your yarns, this book is NOT for you. ;D

If you are an artist who longs to have crochet, knitting, and spinning turn into the same kind of fun you had when you were a little kid with some finger paints and no limits to what you could paint or where (within reason)- this book is for you.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]