Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Camera, July 22, 2009
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Camera)
I'm not going to go over the technical merits of this camera as they are well detailed in other posts. I can speak only for myself. I was really waiting for an affordable full frame D-SLR to come out. However, this camera came out with great reviews and it has a great looking LCD screen as well as HD video and the latest DIGIC 4 image processor onboard. So I went for it.

I do not regret that decision at all. Now, I may still get the full frame camera later, but in the meantime, I am enjoying this technological marvel. My last camera was the Canon G6 and it served me well for a number of years. But this T1i is the kind of camera I have been dreaming about owning for the past 40 years.

I bought the EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM and EF 85mm f/1.8 USM lenses and I am now taking photos I never dreamed I could shoot.

Oh yes, about the kit lens. You either love it or hate it. I am definitely on the "love it" bandwagon. For many situations it does an excellent job. Of the 3 lenses that I have the kit lens is the most versatile for shooting HD video because of it's wider FOV. It can't match the other lenses I have for stills, but if the kit lens is all you have, it will do an excellent job for you. Just give it a chance.

There are so many little features on this camera that come in handy, like spot metering and mirror lock up to name a couple, that it becomes hard for me to believe they call this an "entry level D-SLR."

I like that the Mode Dial has Basic Zones like portrait, landscape, etc. They come in handy when you need to shoot NOW and you can't remember fast enough what aperture, ISO or other setting is best for a shot. When you have the time to think you can use the creative zone to fine tune your shots.

The HD video is fantastic and it looks great on a HD tv. The mono sound is o.k. It works for me. After all, I am not trying to make a Hollywood blockbuster or music video with this camera. The video really is good.

The included Digital Photo Professional software is fine. If you don't have Photoshop you still can do some pretty decent basic photo processing with the included software.

So what's not to like. Well, I wish the live view would work in the Basic Zones. It can't fetch the newspaper from the front yard, but I'm working on that. ;)

Wish List:

Full frame image sensor
Higher continuous fps
Weather resistant sealing
More metal, less plastic in the body.

I guess I could shell out another $1800 or more and I can get these wishes in the professional models. But is it worth it? You be the judge.

All in all, this is a great camera package because it has great flexibility, tons of features, great video and adequate software for basic photo processing. The Rebel T1i is an amazing value considering price and features. And it does takes great pictures.

I love this camera!

Edited July 25, 2009

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 23, 2009 6:25:56 AM PDT
M. Foreman says:
I also "graduated" from a G6 (LCD died) to a T1i and I'm very pleased so far. Had a great time at a "farm fair" last night taking pictures of animals, people and rides. The camera seems very responsive and the pictures are usually sharp (except for the occasional "user error"). While I have an external flash (Canon 430ex), the built-in flash is quite handy and does a nice job for a built-in. I usually shoot in Av mode, but have toyed with the others. Also got some nice fireworks shots on 7/4.

Michael