5.0 out of 5 stars This IS Dead Space ---4.7 out of 5 stars (Updated) - Awakened DLC is a mind-bending horror show, February 9, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space 3 Limited Edition (Video Game)
This is the best looking Dead Space yet. I'm playing the single-player campaign first. I'll update this review later once I get a chance to try the co-op campaign.

Dead Space has evolved. The original was the scariest game I've ever played. The second moved on to a larger environment, updated graphics, and gave us more Zero-G along with more outdoor space time, and the third installment gives us an even bigger environment, more Zero-G space time, and a planet to explore all to a full orchestral score.

Dead Space 3 is bigger than the first two games combined. It has a new weapon crafting system and upgrading weapons is different than the past two titles in the series. A rover bot is added to the mix that is hand-held and used like a scanner to find resources. When the signal is strongest, just set it down and it goes searching. The bots are used to get resources that Isaac can't see or retrieve himself.

The single-player campaign is just that. There is no A. I. character that follows you around. I know this was a big concern for a lot of people. Co-op was added so we can play with a friend. There are more powerful enemies and better loot. It's really like a second game. Co-op offers additional things that you won't see in the single-player version.

The graphics are about the best there is for this generation. It runs native 1080 and everything looks amazing. Visceral did a great job putting detail into every little thing. I appreciate the fine details.

We have some new necromorphs that look awesome. They are no longer a mashed up looking clump of flesh like in past games. Some of these necromorphs are extremely fast so expect fairly frequent use of stasis. You'll recognize similarities between some of these necromorphs and some from past games.

A large part of the game is in outer space where you get plenty of air time to explore. There's a graveyard of space ships and space stations to explore with plenty of creepy moments reminiscent of Dead Space 1.

The ice planet looks awesome and the weather effects are nothing short of spectacular. Even outdoors, you'll get a lot of scares. Necromorphs pop up out of the snow or come from holes in the cliff's walls. They might even climb over the edge of the cliff to get at you.

There are many blueprints unlocked from the beginning, but you can't use them until you collect enough resources; that's where the rover bots come in. Start using them early. You have 2 weapon slots and most weapons use an over/under system ala Alt-Fire. I have a carbine with a shotgun attachment and a line gun with a force gun attachment. You can craft your own weapon from scratch with tons of choices. You can even add attachments that add shock or acid damage to your rounds, for example.

There is a story and it doesn't suck; it just doesn't make you care for the other characters so much. It tries to at times, but doesn't quite do it for me. The story for this game is one of self discovery. Rather than being character driven, it unfolds through your actions. The more text logs you read, audio logs you listen to, and the more you explore away from your waypoints, the more the story is revealed. You get certain parts of the story from the characters, usually through objectives. Isaac's mind has healed a lot since Dead Space 2. He still has episodes, but not near as frequently. He can decipher the marker's symbols to discover hidden messages now. Maybe since Visceral has mastered graphics and combat they will focus more on this issue for the next Dead Space title.

Combat is dead on, not much more to say about it. The combat is solid. I even liked scaling the icy mountainside while avoiding falling boulders and fighting necromorphs along the way.

I think this is by far the best game in the series. It's not constant stress and fear like the first Dead Space, but there is still plenty of it. Visceral did a good job of giving us some breathers between shots of intensity. A good series should evolve and not be exactly like its predecessors. Dead Space 3 does it well, while still keeping to its roots.

I have to recommend Dead Space 3. If you haven't played the previous two titles in the series (I highly recommend them) you will still have a lot of fun with this one. With side missions and some extra exploration you can easily pull 25-30 hours out of this game and that doesn't even count co-op. It has high replay value because of game+ mode, which allows you to keep your tricked out gear for another play through.

If you're not sure about a purchase, at least rent it, but try this game out. It's unique.

Oh, and one last thing--when you finish the game--let the credits roll to the end because this is one of those games that has a little something after the credits are over.

Update: Co-Op Review:

I spent some time on the co-op campaign. You can run through the entire campaign this way if you like, but there are only a few extra areas that you cannot explore in single-player. I was curious to see these additional areas and find out more about the story. I spent four hours in co-op and we got to Chapter 5. I got to see inside a space ship that was unavailable in single-player. I wish all areas were available in single-player.

It's fun playing with a friend and the new area that I explored was interesting. It seemed similar to the other ships that you get to explore in the game, but there are new artifacts, voice messages, and text messages that add to the storyline. Puzzles that you could do by yourself in single-player are now designed for two people. There are times when some puzzles can be solved with one person while the other defends the area from attacks. I played with my nephew and he seemed to get his kicks by not telling me when a necromorph was standing right behind me. There were also several occasions when some necromorphs ran right past me to go after him, but there were more that came for me anyway.

In co-op, necromorphs are more numerous. I understand that they are supposed to be harder to kill, but since I was playing game+ on normal difficulty they didn't seem any stronger to me. Perhaps if I started a new game from scratch then I would notice the increased strength of the enemies.

I recommend turning on the "player locate" and "player rescue" features. I may have misnamed those two things, but you'll see what I mean when you check the menu.

I still have two other co-op only areas to explore, but having had a taste, I can say that the game is fun in both modes, single-player and co-op.

Awakened (DLC)

Wow! I was not expecting this. Awakened picks up right where Dead Space 3 leaves off. Things take a bizarre twist as we make a major discovery regarding the origins and purpose of the necromorphs. The moon has crashed into the planet causing a catastrophic end-of-world scenario and you need to find a way out.

There are some new gruesome necromorphs to deal with and a cult of Unitologists who are severely twisted. They mutilate their bodies to make themselves look like necromorphs. It is a horrific sight. The origins of the necromorphs are stronger than ever and reaks havoc on Issac's mind. He has episodes and visions where the world he sees becomes veiled in red, almost like colored smoke enveloping the area, which seems to indicate that different dimensions in time and space are merging at that moment. Enemies appear from thin air. Issac's visions focus on the original source of the necromorph outbreak revealing a hefty story line. This is one mind-bending horror show.

The DLC is worth every bit of the ten dollar price tag. It doesn't take very long to complete. You can easily run through this in under three hours, but the additional story is monumental to the series. I can't wait to see what happens next with this franchise. And if you feel like it was missing something once you play through it, don't be quick to judge. It's better the second time through. You will notice things that you missed on the first run. I highly recommend Dead Space 3: Awakened.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 12, 2013 2:14:32 PM PST
J. Lethal says:
I'm a Dead Space veteran who was on the fence about this game. Thanks for a really detailed review that addressed all my concerns about the changes they've made. I agree about the need to evolve. If this was like the first game people would gripe that it was a cash grab with no innovation.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 7:11:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013 5:14:17 PM PST
Chevy says:
You're welcome. I'm glad it helped. I'm a big fan of the entire series myself. Let me know what you think of the game once you check it out.

Posted on May 5, 2013 11:28:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 7, 2013 8:02:41 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2014 11:10:28 PM PDT
Dr. D says:
In a way, this game is a cash grab on EA's part because of all the extras and DLC stuff available. There are just loads of items and packs available from anywhere between $1 and $5 on average. I'm about 6 hours into the game already and I'm enjoying it. Hopefully, I won't need to purchase any of those extras in order to complete the game. When the day comes where people have to pay something in order to finish a game (on top of the price they already paid to buy the game in the first place), that will be the day when I stop playing video games forever.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (367 customer reviews)

$19.99 $15.99