4.0 out of 5 stars Great but could have been better, October 5, 2006
This review is from: Chicago 17 (Audio CD)
Overall this is a teriffic album. Where it falls short is with the song Please Hold On. The original LP had a different version than did the original CD...this release missed a golden opportunity to combine the 2 versions of what may be Chicago's best 1980's song.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 19, 2006 8:58:16 AM PDT
I was really hoping that they would have fixed Please Hold On. Without that correction, I see no real reason to repurchase the CD. Can anyone correct me in my thinking?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2006 1:37:42 AM PST
fpr says:
They DID fix Please Hold On on this remaster!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2008 11:29:11 PM PDT
DJones says:
This may be a minor deal, but on the original Chicago 17 LP, "Only You" had a fade-in opening that was left off of the original Chicago 17 CD. However, it is finally included here on this reissue, just like the LP. I remember the original opening to that song well since that is what Chicago used to open their concert I attended in Dec. '84. I also, unlike most other reviewers on here, think that the bonus track "Where We Begin" is a great song.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2010 9:30:35 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 13, 2010 5:23:09 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 4:20:27 PM PST
In my opinion, Rhino did a terrible job with "Chicago 16" and "Chicago 17." If you still have the original CDs, I would advise you hang on to them.

I've never owned the original LP of "Chicago 17." Apparently, when the album was released onto CD, they used an alternate take of "Please Hold On." I grew accustomed to this version. The Rhino reissue apparently uses the LP version. It would have been nice to include both versions on the reissue.

I've also noticed that a few of the songs on "Chicago 16" (ie. "What You're Missing") are shorter on the reissue. It's as if they've used radio edits.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 4:25:23 PM PST
When I first listened to "Only You" on the reissue, I noticed the fade-in opening with the horns. It seemed weird because I never remembered ever hearing it on my original CD. I always remembered the song starting on a beat. But a strange thing happened. I whipped out the original CD and listened to the track again . . . and that fade-in opening was there.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 7:02:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 7:04:33 AM PST
Gymrome says:
Thanks for your reply and opinion. Chicago 17 was the final release with Peter Cetera and one of their best. I wonder what #18 and beyond would have been if Cetera remained with the group. I remain disappointed in the sound quality of new releases of Chicago 1 & 2... the sound remains typical of the pop music quality often released by Columbia in the 1960's & 1970's.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (28 customer reviews)

Reviewer