4.0 out of 5 stars Same size as bucky balls. Not completely the same though., April 30, 2010
I have had the BuckyBalls brand magnets for a while. They're a lot of fun and creative, but they're pricey for a little office toy. I saw these Magnet Balls and decided to give them a shot because they're nearly half the price of BuckyBalls. Having read some reviews for other BuckyBalls competitors I was concerned that these would be differently sized than BuckyBalls. Well these are exactly the same as BuckyBalls as far as appearance goes. The only difference so far is that they don't seem as powerful as buckyballs. It's very subtle, but obvious after having played with BuckyBalls for so long. They also seem a tiny bit lighter in weight. Perhaps that's why they're cheaper. There may be less magnetic material in each ball.

Despite them not being quite as great as buckyballs, they're still pretty great. If you've never played with BuckyBalls, you probably wouldn't know the difference. You can make all the same shapes, and it's a decent value.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 30, 2010 11:39:11 AM PDT
All magnet balls, Neo cubes, magnet balls, cyber cubes are all produced from same materials to our knowledge so should be the exact same strength, etc.. The reason these are cheaper is less fancy packaging, and product does not have as many middlemen (factory, company, distributor, wholesaler, retailer). We will investigate for sure, as the product is designed as a lower cost version of popular magnet toys.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 11:52:13 AM PDT
Trent Steele says:
Actually I think the packaging on these is fancier than BuckyBalls. You get a metal tin with foam to hold the cube in place. With BuckyBalls, you get a plastic case. I disagree that it's the same material. Obviously they're all neodymium magnets, but the more expensive balls may have more magnetic material. Magnet Balls may be cut with different material to lower the cost. Who knows? All I know is that when I first compared them to buckyballs, the strength of the magnets seemed slightly less. Over time I've seen the chrome start to chip off the balls as well. My BuckyBalls are integrated with my Magnet Balls now so I can't say with any certainty which one is chipping, but my guess is the cheaper set.

Either way, I'm still pleased and my 4 star review still stands.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2010 2:19:51 PM PDT
Randy P. says:
If the people say the magnetic strengths are different, could they be just imagining it then? I don't think so.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2010 10:21:27 PM PDT
S. D. Butler says:
I don't think so either.

Neodymium magnets come in all sorts of different ratings. Not just different shapes and sizes.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2010 5:10:20 PM PDT
S. Damon says:
It may be too late since you've integrated the two brands but an interesting test is to simply weigh the two cubes (using all 216 balls for each cube). If both cubes have the same volume but the Buckyball cube is heavier, you can assume that the Buckyballs are denser, and probably have higher magnetic density. If the Bucky cube is larger, then you can assume that the balls are larger. Either way would explain the difference in strength that you noticed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2010 7:28:07 PM PDT
Trent Steele says:
Good point. I actually just ordered 2 sets of Buckyball branded magnets from woot for $35, which is a pretty sweet deal (second time it's been up too). The best I can do at this point is weigh the buckyball cube and someone else can weigh their Magnet Balls cube and we'll compare. There's no chance I can split them up now. They're indiscernible.

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 5:57:24 PM PST
askichick says:
So it tuns out that almost all the brands are the same. (including Bucky Balls and Magnet Balls) they come from the same factory and just get labeled or packaged differently. It is interesting to see how many people are convinced they are different, when in fact they are not. I have seen this happen with other products as well/ Same item just labeled differently and people will fight to the end for what they believe to be true.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 7:08:22 PM PST
Trent Steele says:
I'm not going to fight to end, but just because they come from the same factory doesn't mean that they are made the same. It's quite possible that they can create different magnetic alloys and sell them in different grades. It's equally possible that the Buckyballs brand uses more expensive packaging. I'm only reporting what I perceived and it seems to me that the Magnet Balls are ever so slightly less magnetic. I don't have a Gauss meter or anything and I don't really care enough about this to buy one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 2:57:00 PM PST
W. Essery says:
What is the diameter of an individual ball?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2010 6:09:59 PM PST
The reason these are less expensive is we are the manufacturer and UPC Code holder. With bucky balls, the manufacturer, sells to the retailer, and pays the sales rep, then the retailer needs to up charge. magnet balls Brand goes direct from factory to consumer. We could charge more, but no need to.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›