Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz or Rock? Just the Right Touch of Both!, January 25, 2010
This review is from: Jeff Beck: Performing This Week... Live at Ronnie Scott's [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
One night back in May 2009 I was out late partying. When I got home I was still in the mood for couple more beers, so I popped on the HD music channel on my cable system (Palladia I think it's called?), and I came across Jeff Beck jamming with this wicked-awesome drummer and some young looking girl (that I thought was probably his daughter) just shredding a bass guitar to pieces.

The next morning I woke up to quite a hangover. I had stayed up, watched the whole show, and probably washed down the 6 beers that I had at the party with 6 more watching the Beck performance. So my memory of the show was vague, but also that it was great, although I thought that maybe I enjoyed it more than I otherwise would have because of the alcohol. So I picked it up at Amazon the day or so after...and promptly forgot about watching it again...until recently. I watched this Blu Ray disk last weekend and then again this past weekend. Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's is one of the best rock performances that I've ever seen.

This 2007 show should be held up not only as an example of the way a rock group should perform live, but also as an example for DVD music producers on how to deliver an excellent product. The concert is all musical performance. No indulgence by some videographer that thinks a viewer wants to see effects like cut to black and white, psyschedelic swirling pictures, quick frame to frame edits or other video effects. Long shots of the individual performers dominate the screen throughout and capture not only the great talents of the players, but also the intimacies between the bandmates that are often missed in other DVD musical shows.

For this performance at Ronnie Scott's, Beck was accompanied by Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, Jason Rebello on keyboards, and Tal Wilkenfeld on bass guitar. Beck is completely on throughout the show as are his mates. Colaiuta lays down some impossible beats and chops. Wilkenfield blows away many of the bass guitarists that I have on my list of the best. And Rebello is in top form on the keys.

The picture and sound are terrific. If you've got a surround system, you're in for a pounding Rock experience. The sound has an amazing 5.1 mix. Most importantly, like I mentioned earlier, the video doesn't jump around every 4 seconds, so you really get to see the performance in a way that feels like you're in a front row seat right there at Ronnie Scott's.

I could write the set list for you here, but not only is it right here on the Amazon product page for you already, would you really know any of the songs by their titles? I mean a devoted Beck fan probably would, but I've never even heard any of these compositions until I saw them on the DVD. I will say that there are 5 songs with guest performers: one with Joss Stone; two with Imogen Heap; and two with Eric Clapton. Now you might think, "Clapton! Holy Moly...what a show stopper!" But that would be completely incorrect. I'd even endanger a No-Vote to this review by going as far to say that the guest performances are skipable compared to what Beck's band does on its own for 16 of the total 21 songs on this DVD. But please don't skip the guest performances; they are definitely worth a least the first time you watch the show.

In the Extras on the Blu Ray version you also get a Rockabilly set with Beck and the Big Town Playboys. I was able to watch one or two songs in this performance before I quickly shut it off so as not to ruin the amazing impression that I was left with from the main performance. Rockabilly is not my thing.

Any Rock fan will enjoy this disk immensely. Any Jazz fan will enjoy this disk immensely. Any music fan is making an immense mistake by passing on this disk. Add Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's to your collection.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]