4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Darn Good Product, December 10, 2008
This review is from: Vinturi Essential Wine Aerator (Kitchen)
Length:: 2:02 Mins

Vinturi Essential Wine Aerator
The Vinturi Wine Aerator is the longest selling and most popular wine aerator on the market. I give this product a favorable review in this short clip.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2008 6:45:58 PM PST
That is one good review - I'm envious! Well done.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 7:32:25 AM PST
Robert Dwyer says:
Thanks for your kind words, Martin! I appreciate it.

Posted on Jan 15, 2009 1:35:59 PM PST
DeLaney says:
I appreciate your very fine and well done review. I learned a lot--thank you!! (sediment, and seeing a decanter and sieve)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2009 5:27:23 PM PST
Robert Dwyer says:
Hi DeLaney- thannks for leaving your comment with specifics about what you like about my review. It's nice to know you enjoyed it.

Posted on Feb 5, 2009 7:25:54 PM PST
M. Orefice says:
Massively helpful. Otherwise I would have kept trying to figure out how it works by the product's picture. Thanks Robert.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2009 7:42:43 AM PST
Robert Dwyer says:
I'm glad you found the video helpful in understanding how the Vinturi works!

Posted on Feb 23, 2009 2:28:35 AM PST
Gina says:
Hi Bob. . . Awesome review. . . . You should review more products!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2009 5:39:58 PM PST
Hi Gina,

Thanks! I've also reviewed the Soiree and Respirer wine aerators, and I'm currently evaluating the Ravi Solution instant wine chiller. Do you have any other wine accessories you'd like to see reviewed? Let me know and I'll review them!

Posted on Jul 16, 2009 10:09:02 AM PDT
rushman says:
Robert, excellent video review. I found this to be very helpful and educational. A couple of questions: When you reach the bottom of the bottle wine, some of the sediment can get drawn through this aerator. Any potential issues to that (like clogging aeration holes)? Do you sieve/filter the wine at this point? Another (minor) question ... is there a separate aerator for white wine versus red wine? I thought the choice of red or white colors for this aerator refers the aerator and not the wine type. Which one did you use for this video?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2009 7:52:11 AM PDT
Hi rushman,

Thanks for having a look and for these questions. Regarding sediment at the bottom of wine bottles, I have a couple of thoughts. First, based on the wine aerator manufacturers I've interviewed I think the consensus is that older wines (that are most likely to have sediment) should *not* be aerated. The concern being that older wines are more delicate and aggressive aeration could "strip" the wine of its remaining fruit. That said, there are some young-ish wines that do have sediment in them and are perhaps good candidates for aeration. For these, I would recommend a traditional decanter -or- a wine aerator that is a combination of an aerator and a decanter. One that claims to do both is the Nuance Wine Finer:

Nuance Wine Finer

I do not have one of these so I can't speak to how well it works.

Another simple solution (that I actually use) is to remove the larger pieces of sediment using a simple funnel that has a metal mesh filter:

Wine Decanting Funnel

Or, perhaps use a traditional decanter that allows the sediment to settle at the bottom of the decanter so you can "pour off the top" and avoid the sediment from getting into your glass. I wouldn't be worried about "clogging" the Vinturi or similar devices. The opening to the aeration chamber is small enough that any sediment will remain at the bottom of the vessel.

Vinturi did in fact recently introduce the first wine aerator targeted at white wines and they now offer two products- one for red and one for white. The original Vinturi is black in color and the new Vinturi for White Wines is white in color. I have not tested the white wine aerator to see if it does a better or worse job aerating white wines, but I have seen it and it looks quite similar to the original Vinturi. There is a considerable amount of skepticism from those I've talked to that it could possibly be "tuned" to white wines *but* if I was set on buying a Vinturi -and- I drank primarily white wines I would buy the Vinturi White. Otherwise I'd stick with the original Vinturi.

Great questions. Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (1,719 customer reviews)
 (1,288)