4,134 of 4,193 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars if you're trying to avoid pasta but love that noodle-y experience..., July 3, 2010
This review is from: Paderno World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer (Kitchen)
EDITED 2014 - This is a review of the original 3 blade version of this slicer which I far prefer to the newer four blade model. If you are deciding between the two I think there is no comparison. While the newer version looks slicker and is more self contained, it just doesn't handle the veggies near as well as this one does. I've reviewed the other machine if you want to have a look and see my issues with it. But this 3 blade version is phenomenal and a staple in my kitchen. Easily one of the best gadgets ever made in my opinion. Read on.....

I had to interrupt my cooking to write this review. Believe me, I am not easily moved to write product reviews. This would be my second here on amazon (since the writing of this review three years ago I have added many more product reviews here on amazon).
But, this little turning slicer is amazing. Simply amazing. It makes quick work of everything I throw at it and to date that would include:
radishes
carrots
cucumbers
onions (they work a little differently from the other vegetables)
kohlrabi (makes a fabulous, refreshing salad)
zucchini (I can never remember how many "Ns" are in that vegetable)
apples and,
sweet potatoes
I may even have done a celeriac but I can't recall for sure.
This device never balks.

And it is a pleasure to clean.

I had to give up pasta a few months back and I found myself missing the act of twirling long strands of food on a fork. It was then that I searched for a spiral slicer, not sure if one existed that could meet my fork twirling needs. I bought this little gem because I figured it was inexpensive enough that if I didn't like it all that much, it wouldn't be too much of a hardship.
Honestly, for what this does I would easily pay twice or three times the price.
As I write this I am in the middle of spiralling cucumbers for the old family cucumber salad recipe. Many of the strands that come out of this thing get close to 2 feet long. Food prep doesn't get much more fun than that. The First four (large) cucumbers took all of 4 minutes to break down into perfect, long, spirally strands. I have four more to go when I finish this review.

Okay, some of the reviewers here have complained that you lose about 3/8ths from the center of anything you are spiraling, and this is indeed true. In the case of cucumbers, that means that the device is essentially getting rid of those pesky seeds for you but in the case of a carrot, you lose a bit of viable vegetable. Do I mind this? NO, who cares. Use that center 3/8ths carrot piece for something else, or snack on it while you shred the rest of your veggies. Its not as if the center 3/8ths isn't usable, it just isn't made into long spirally strands. So, it wouldn't make sense to try to shred baby carrots or asparagus because they aren't much larger than 3/8ths of an inch so there wouldn't be much to spiral.

I can't speak to the durability of this slicer because, alas, I've only owned it for two months as of this writing. So far so good however and it does seem durable. It is well designed. The extra blades snap into a holder in the middle of the slicer so you aren't likely to lose them nor are you likely to cut yourself on them inadvertantly. Though lightweight, the whole unit feels fairly sturdy and I can't imagine needing to replace it for a long long time. The whole thing suctions onto your work surface which makes it very manageable. I've started using it in preparations where hitherto I've used a mandolin slicer. This spiral slicer doesn't make it easy to cut off fingertips the way you can with a mandolin.

On a final note before I get back to the cucumber salad.... I do not like kitchen devices that make a job longer than it needs to be and that includes gadgets that take forever to clean or have sharp edges to wash and be careful of. You could hurt yourself with this thing but honestly you would have to try pretty hard to do that. it doesn't want to hurt you and the company seem to have thought of everything so that it would only really injure someone determined to draw blood. it is not a child's toy however and so it requires the same respect you would give any other item with sharp blades.

There is one minor quibble I have with the device and hope that the company reads this and deals with it in a future incarnation of the product... when the spirals come out it is a little bit difficult to manage where they will end up. It would be nice if they design a catch basin type thing for the strands as they fall from the blades. This is a minor quibble because you really can catch all the strands if you're careful but I just don't want to have to be careful all the time.

Okay, that's it, back to my cucumber salad.

EDITED July 2013 -- THOUGHTS AFTER 3 YEARS OF OWNERSHIP:

I still absolutely love this thing. It continues to work flawlessly and fairly effortlessly, breaking down all kinds of vegetables. Admittedly my favorites are cucumbers and zucchini but I have spiralized many others as noted above. In all this time it hasn't stained (as many of these gadgets do) and the blades don't seem to have lost any of their effectiveness. I admit that cleaning it, while still relatively easy, is not child's play. Still, it doesn't take long.

I used to put my zucchini noodles in a vegetable basket on the grill with some spiralized onions and coated with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and they were a crowd pleaser every time. But it has been brutally hot and humid here so I thought I would go for something a little more refreshing. I served the noodles raw (using the smallest blade) and coated them with a homemade "guacamole" sauce. This was another crowd pleaser and rivals the cucumber salad.

3 years later and I can't sing the praises of this thing highly enough. I just really don't understand the naysayers.... particularly the folks who complain about the wasted vegetable "core" Get creative and find something to do with it. Challenge yourself!

Most of all I am impressed by how well this thing has held up.

UPDATE AUGUST 2013....

There seems to be much debate about whether this little unit suctions effectively to the work surface. For me, it does. I have a polished granite countertop. I am going to guess that this suctions much less well (if at all) to some lightly textured formicas. That may well be where the debate stems from.

RECIPES....

UPDATE:
A BLOG AT LAST! I am just starting to blog my recipes. The first four have been posted but am hoping to get many more up and running.....
okay. here's the blog address spelled out.... my website is s n o o t y d o g - dot - c o m. There is a link at the top of the page for my blog. Let me know if you find it useful

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 33 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 199 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 15, 2011 4:44:33 PM PDT
poetface says:
You have quite a way with words - thanks for a great review! I just may get one of these "noodle-makers"!

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 1:27:28 PM PST
willowgirl says:
I'm curious now that it's been awhile -- how did it hold up? I'm *thisclose* to getting one - love me some veggie "noodles"!

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 12:49:29 PM PST
SOLD!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 4:46:48 PM PST
I still absolutely love my vegetable slicer. There aren't too many veggies that I haven't tried spiralizing with this thing. It has held up wonderfully. The blades are as sharp as ever and it ALWAYS produces smiles when I serve something I've turned into noodles. My love affair with the spiral slicer is alive and well. My only minor issue is that it isn't as completely effortless to clean as I first thought. But this is a minor quibble. It really only takes seconds to clean but the blades are sharp and pointy so a little bit of care needs to be taken. You wont go wrong purchasing this though. Its just fantastic. If you do get it, post back and let me know what you think. Also, if you love the idea of veggie noodles and lo carb noodle alternatives, I've just discovered something else that I am absolutely nuts for. Look up "kelp noodles" here on amazon. They are a little pricey but everyone is going nuts for them. Much much much better than shiritaki noodles. Wonderful texture and they take really well to sauces. So far I've tried them with classic sesame sauce and also with ramp pesto. Both have been major crowd pleasers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 4:51:25 PM PST
Excellent, did you buy one? Do you love it?

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 12:41:13 AM PDT
Love the way you wrote your review and read the follow-up. I'm convinced and will buy it. If I remember, I'll let you know how it goes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 8:43:28 AM PDT
Excellent.... I hope I didn't steer you wrong. I still love mine and use it often.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 7:28:56 PM PDT
Emily says:
Unfortunately, the first time I tried to use it and tried to move it after I ahd suctioned it to the counter, the screw of one suction cup broke out of the plastic housing, splitting it. I hope they'll let me return it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 11:11:03 AM PDT
J. Cox says:
LWM - care to share that cucumber salad recipe you were making during your original post? Your review was VERY helpful. I'm thinking of buying this to use when grandkids are visiting - always looking for FUN ways to eat veggies!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 6:53:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 6:55:12 PM PDT
Hi J Cox.... Your grandkids will love it. Of course they shouldn't be around the sharp blades, but under your supervision I think they will have a blast turning vegetables into wonderful long strands. I finally measured some of them and I had one strand come close to 3 feet. I bet they'll gobble up their veggies if you get this thing.

Okay, for the cucumber recipe I need to know if you prefer creamy or vinegary cucumber salad? The recipe I was making that day was the creamy one. First step in both recipes after the cukes are sliced or spiralized as you like them, is to salt them and put them in a bowl with a reasonably heavy weight on top of them for a few hours. And then drain the water off. This will make them so super crisy and crunchy. You can spiralize a sweet onion and mix that in with the cukes before putting them under the weight (this will also take some of the sharpness off of the onion).

Okay, to be continued once I know which recipe you'd prefer.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 Next ›