4,292 of 4,686 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Great product but they get you with the ads and missing accessories, September 17, 2012
This review is from: Kindle Fire - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd) (Electronics)
My 7 year old son has the 1st gen Kindle Fire, and we've been very happy with it. He mostly plays games on it now, but we plan to purchase more movies and books for it in the future. My 5 year old wanted one too, so we just purchased the 2nd gen Kindle Fire for her. She had been saving her allowance and birthday money this whole year for it. We purchased one the day they were announced!

We've had it now for 3 days... and while it's still the same great product, we were disappointed to find (after receiving the device) that the 2nd generation Fire comes WITHOUT a wall charger (which the first gen Fire had) and has a whole mess of ads loaded onto it. My 5 year old can't read very well yet - she couldn't figure out how to get rid of the ads, and was constantly yelling for me to come help her. Also, some of the ads featured more mature themes (ads for sexy prime time tv shows, for example) that I would not want to expose my young child to.

To purchase the wall charger, it cost us an extra $20, and it cost us $15 to have the ads turned off. So now we're up to $194 for the Kindle Fire that we thought we were getting for $159, plus a whole bunch of time wasted trying to figure out how to turn off the ads, and waiting for the wall charger to arrive.

I am normally a HUGE Amazon fan, but this one leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Would have given the device 4-5 stars on its own, but with the extra expenses and hassle, I have to take it down a couple stars.

***Update Oct 10, 2012*** Interesting that many folks have taken my review as an opportunity to comment on my parenting skills. While I'm sure folks are "well intentioned" (sarcasm), I don't recall asking for parenting advice. Many have said it's ridiculous to buy an eReader for a child who can't read. Yet the FIRE is marketed as a competitor to a tablet device, not an eReader. The Fire does everything the iPad can do (except take pictures and videos). My children prefer to read books on paper. Instead, they use the Fire almost exclusively as a gaming device as there are hundreds of free (or super cheap) game apps for kids - including educational apps. They also listen to music and watch videos on it. I looked at it as a replacement for my daughter's leapster (which she is aging out of) and as an alternative to a portable DVD player and/or iPod. Several devices in one. As we are getting ready to take the kids on a cross-country trip, I will be thrilled not to have to lug around several devices that come with DVDs and expensive game cartridges that are easily lost. We will pack one device. Done.

***Update Oct 22, 2012*** Sorry, me again. First, wanted to THANK those who offered support and told me to ignore the negative nellies who suggested I was an indulgent parent raising the spoiled rotten brats of the future. Secondly, wanted to respond to some questions I've repeatedly received. The ads appear primarily on the lock screen. When unlocked, they disappear. For adult users who are used to dealing with ads in free apps, this might be something you'd be willing to contend with to save a few bucks. But this was a confusing concept for my 5 year old - and I repeat that the ads I saw were too mature for a young audience. Even after I paid the $15 to have the ads removed, my daughter's Kindle still received an ad to "Vote for Obama". It appears as a banner at the top of every screen and I have not been able to get rid of it. I am extremely irritated with this, as it seems some ads will get thru regardless.

Others have commented that it's cheap to buy a wall charger, and to quit complaining about it. OK, I see your point - but if it's so cheap, then Amazon should provide it. I find it absolutely unacceptable that Amazon would not provide a wall charger. I realize Amazon loses money on the device, but they do so anticipating they will more than make up for that loss in profit from the apps, books, and movie purchases. As far as I can tell, Amazon doesn't seem to be hurting. So come on, Amazon, throw in the darned wall charger already!!

Finally, since I purchased this item on Day One of its release, I see that Amazon has updated its product description so it's more obvious as to what the device does - and doesn't - come with. Additionally, the product title now includes the words "with special offers" (IMHO, a deceptive way of saying it comes loaded up with ads) - But I'm glad Amazon added it - now people can be more informed than I was about what they are getting themselves into.

I'm an Amazon Prime member - so have invested pretty heavily in Amazon. If I weren't a Prime member, I would have considered other brands over Amazon's Kindle.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 35 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-60 of 404 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 10, 2012 3:27:04 PM PDT
Thanks for this review, I am getting ready to buy a Kindle Fire for my 6 year old grandson for Christmas, he hogs mine every time he visits and mostly watches videos and plays games. This review helps me to make the correct decision to buy without the ads and also make sure I include the wall charger and won't have to go through the hassle this customer went through. I do love my Kindle Fire, I also have the original Kindle e-reader with 3G which I still use. I also have Prime and I feel it was a great investment.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 11:43:08 PM PDT
pawi33 says:
Good for you, I think it's great that you are starting your kids out early on a kindle. Kids using technology at an early age have a head start...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 11:46:29 PM PDT
pawi33 says:
Not necessarily, people who read a lot don't need a fire. People who play games a lot need Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 12:12:14 AM PDT
pawi33 says:
It's very clear on the Amazon site that you save money on the Kindle if you take the ads. It also states very clearly that it doesn't come with the charger, but with a usb.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 12:15:25 AM PDT
pawi33 says:
It is not hidden, it is very clear in the ad that you get a reduced price if you take the Kindle with the ads. and it also stated very clearly that it did not come with a charger. It does come with a usb cable that can be plugged into the computer to charge.

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 5:02:43 PM PDT
MHR says:
To the Author: Regarding people commenting on your parenting skills, haha, pay no attention, a majority of those comments are from people who can't afford the product. I've heard the same comments on buying a 3 yr. old a $250 Ipod Touch. Reality check, if they were given 3 Kindle fires for free, they'd be thrilled to give one to their 5 yr. old. I think you're a great parent for working hard to provide for your family. I can think of worst parents.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 5:27:57 PM PDT
KelseyJade says:
That is not true. It is marketed to be used for books, movies, apps, and music.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:49:18 PM PDT
SToomey says:
No, you don't understand what a kindle fire is for at all. Kindle e-readers are for reading. You "can" read on a fire but if you are really into reading you do it on an e-reader. I'm an avid reader and have a kindle e-reader for reading and a fire for doing other stuff. Check your facts before you make claims.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 7:57:35 AM PDT
thundercloud says:
Thank you for this review. At 61 I'm long past parenting age but your info was very useful. I wanted to purchase this Kindle for it's price but if it has hidden costs I'm not so sure I want it.

I agree with your decision to buy this for your five year old. I fully understand why you wanted to reduce the number of items you have to drag along with you on a trip. I know what you mean about game cartridges getting lost or destroyed. If your child is responsible enough to handle a Kindle I say Good for You!! You have obviously invested quite a bit of time raising your child properly.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 9:13:57 AM PDT
erin says:
I do not know this reviewer but I do appreciate their post. My daughter is turning 5 and my husband and I have been looking for a tablet for her. After reading many Google reviews the Kindle Fire seems to be the best. Currently at my daughters school, every classroom has 5 ipads that they use on a daily basis. Tablets are being use for every age in today's society. I was looking for a less expensive tablet than an ipad as we have a 3 year old and a newborn and the chances of our tablet getting broken within the first 2 years is highly likely. The ads are bad for children for two reasons: you do not know what is shown in ads (half naked women or toy ads the child could click-on) or the child could touch the ad by mistake thinking it was a game/book/movie. I do not think that any 5 year old NEEDS a tablet but since most 5 years are using them in school...it's not a bad idea.

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (14,243 customer reviews)
 (8,362)