Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

4,309 of 4,704 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Great product but they get you with the ads and missing accessories, September 17, 2012
This review is from: Kindle Fire - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd) (Electronics)
My 7 year old son has the 1st gen Kindle Fire, and we've been very happy with it. He mostly plays games on it now, but we plan to purchase more movies and books for it in the future. My 5 year old wanted one too, so we just purchased the 2nd gen Kindle Fire for her. She had been saving her allowance and birthday money this whole year for it. We purchased one the day they were announced!

We've had it now for 3 days... and while it's still the same great product, we were disappointed to find (after receiving the device) that the 2nd generation Fire comes WITHOUT a wall charger (which the first gen Fire had) and has a whole mess of ads loaded onto it. My 5 year old can't read very well yet - she couldn't figure out how to get rid of the ads, and was constantly yelling for me to come help her. Also, some of the ads featured more mature themes (ads for sexy prime time tv shows, for example) that I would not want to expose my young child to.

To purchase the wall charger, it cost us an extra $20, and it cost us $15 to have the ads turned off. So now we're up to $194 for the Kindle Fire that we thought we were getting for $159, plus a whole bunch of time wasted trying to figure out how to turn off the ads, and waiting for the wall charger to arrive.

I am normally a HUGE Amazon fan, but this one leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Would have given the device 4-5 stars on its own, but with the extra expenses and hassle, I have to take it down a couple stars.

***Update Oct 10, 2012*** Interesting that many folks have taken my review as an opportunity to comment on my parenting skills. While I'm sure folks are "well intentioned" (sarcasm), I don't recall asking for parenting advice. Many have said it's ridiculous to buy an eReader for a child who can't read. Yet the FIRE is marketed as a competitor to a tablet device, not an eReader. The Fire does everything the iPad can do (except take pictures and videos). My children prefer to read books on paper. Instead, they use the Fire almost exclusively as a gaming device as there are hundreds of free (or super cheap) game apps for kids - including educational apps. They also listen to music and watch videos on it. I looked at it as a replacement for my daughter's leapster (which she is aging out of) and as an alternative to a portable DVD player and/or iPod. Several devices in one. As we are getting ready to take the kids on a cross-country trip, I will be thrilled not to have to lug around several devices that come with DVDs and expensive game cartridges that are easily lost. We will pack one device. Done.

***Update Oct 22, 2012*** Sorry, me again. First, wanted to THANK those who offered support and told me to ignore the negative nellies who suggested I was an indulgent parent raising the spoiled rotten brats of the future. Secondly, wanted to respond to some questions I've repeatedly received. The ads appear primarily on the lock screen. When unlocked, they disappear. For adult users who are used to dealing with ads in free apps, this might be something you'd be willing to contend with to save a few bucks. But this was a confusing concept for my 5 year old - and I repeat that the ads I saw were too mature for a young audience. Even after I paid the $15 to have the ads removed, my daughter's Kindle still received an ad to "Vote for Obama". It appears as a banner at the top of every screen and I have not been able to get rid of it. I am extremely irritated with this, as it seems some ads will get thru regardless.

Others have commented that it's cheap to buy a wall charger, and to quit complaining about it. OK, I see your point - but if it's so cheap, then Amazon should provide it. I find it absolutely unacceptable that Amazon would not provide a wall charger. I realize Amazon loses money on the device, but they do so anticipating they will more than make up for that loss in profit from the apps, books, and movie purchases. As far as I can tell, Amazon doesn't seem to be hurting. So come on, Amazon, throw in the darned wall charger already!!

Finally, since I purchased this item on Day One of its release, I see that Amazon has updated its product description so it's more obvious as to what the device does - and doesn't - come with. Additionally, the product title now includes the words "with special offers" (IMHO, a deceptive way of saying it comes loaded up with ads) - But I'm glad Amazon added it - now people can be more informed than I was about what they are getting themselves into.

I'm an Amazon Prime member - so have invested pretty heavily in Amazon. If I weren't a Prime member, I would have considered other brands over Amazon's Kindle.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 34 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 71-80 of 405 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 8:40:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2012 8:45:12 AM PDT
Actually, the text "with special offers" in the product title is new. This was not featured when I purchased it. I'm guessing Amazon received enough complaints that they changed it. I'm glad they did. Folks should be informed before they purchase.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 10:53:18 AM PDT
Aqualover says:
Thank you for your specified review. I like to read reviews that are comprehensive and this one is it. I did not know about the wall charger, again, thank you for taking the time to inform others. I feel that if you feel that you want to buy this product for your child, what is the harm? You know and love your child, you also stated that you did not know about the ads and got them taken off. My child is 15 years old and I am re-thinking my possible purchase of this product. I know they say that sex sells, but really, does it have to be involved in everything?

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 2:55:32 PM PDT
Anne says:
"I am normally a HUGE Amazon fan, but this one leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Would have given the device 4-5 stars on its own, but with the extra (HIDDEN) expenses, I have to take it down a couple stars."

In what way was the cost of the wall charger "hidden"? What's included in the box has always been the same on the product page, and it has never included a wall charger.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 9:14:07 PM PDT
Cameron Lee says:
i purchased the "new" kindle fire for my daughter for her birthday, i do not like it whatsoever. it is nothing like mine the original, it is just different i do not like the ads, i do not like the look of the carosel, i do not like it ...but she is ok with it so i will shut up. i am just agreeing with "old school mom"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 8:34:43 AM PDT
K. Fowler says:

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 1:05:26 PM PDT
Eff everyone's opinion of your parenting skills. They're your kids, not theirs. Personally, I wanted to thank you for your review. We're looking to get our kids cheap tablets for Christmas (6 and 4 1/2 year old triplets), and I was drawn in by the Fire's FreeTime service, but when I saw that there were ads on the thing, I was totally turned off. It's a PITA now to help them use my cell phone games with all the ads on there, and I don't want to deal with that again. Maybe I'll look into the nook, if I can disable the internet, which I don't think they're ready for yet. Just wanted it for games and books, but also not a LeapPad or something childish; was hoping to get something they could grow into. Thanks for the great info!

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 8:42:45 PM PDT
83Angel says:
I am currently not working but I do have a two year old and he loves to play with my fire, it is awesome for kids it cheap so if they do break it, its not the end of the world, they have great toddler games and books that teach them to read and learn their alphabet, we recently took a flight from SD, CA. to norfolk, VA and the fire was great didn't have to tote around the dvd player that last about 2hrs plus dvds, just downloaded some of his favorite movies and it lasted almost the entire trip with out having to charge it 5 days. highly recommend this product to anyone with young childern who don't have the money to spend on an apple product everytime the kids break it :)

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 11:10:24 PM PDT
ravager814 says:
Your name is a misnomer. What "old school" anyone buys their kids a newfangled electronic device, like a kindle fire? *wink* All kidding aside, I believe there will be a software update that will address the ad situation, at least in regards to the carousel. It might be worth spending the ten quid to turn off the special offers, because they certainly can contain mature content.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 12:55:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2012 12:57:11 PM PDT
GuidoCat says:
Anthony says:
"thats is a major WRONG I hats reading and I'm in HS so I play games surf the web you no the main reason the kindle fire was made fore"

See...a lot of people who can't read have these.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 1:08:12 AM PDT
First, you have no information about the child, the circumstances, the options, so you don't have the basis to make a judgment about it. In addition, this is not really your business.