5.0 out of 5 stars Its about time!, July 23, 2013
This review is from: The Uninvited (Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Finally, one of the best, and most awaited ghost/haunted house stories is given the million dollar treatment by Criterion. This 1944 film had me sneaking upstairs (against explicit instructions by my parents to "go directly to bed") to watch the late show with a blanket nearby for the scary parts. Honestly its not really scary, no mater what my 12 year old self still thinks, but it's one of the creepiest and well produced supernatural movies from Hollywood.

Ray Milland (Rick) is the perfectly suave leading man who falls in love with the beautiful Gail Russell, (Stella) a young 20 year old daughter of the mystery spirit who maybe haunting "Windward House", that sits perched upon a tall cliff on the haunted Cornish coast in England. [Oh, yeah, very Gothic!] Milland and his sister (Ruth Hussey) buy the house while on vacation at a heavily discounted price from the stern Commander Beech (Donald Crisp). His granddaughter, Stella, becomes upset with the sale until she is invited to visit the house, by Rick and his sister. From this point on it's "Katie bar the door!" as the house comes alive with mysterious scents, moans, cold spots, and murderous attempts on the life of young Stella.

The movie was produced by Paramount, based on the novel by Dorothy Macardle. It was directed by Lewis Allen and is in glorious black and white. For an on-the-set, studio produced film, it seems very realistic. (Check out the village scenes and the 1937 headlines of Soviet Airmen flying over the pole.) The suspense is well handled and for one of the first times, Hollywood treats hauntings as actually happening instead of laying it on some human pranks at the end of the movie. The ghost is handled respectfully, and in an almost English cinema type trait, you don't see the spirit until the last 30 minutes of the film. The movie has humor, thrills, and romance, and even hints at a "love that may not speak its own name".

I love this film. Take a chance. Invite your female friends over for the evening, pop some popcorn, turn out the lights, power down your cell phones, and have a few blankets next to the sofa, just in case.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 29, 2013 1:51:06 PM PDT
It is worth noting that originally, the director did not want the ghost to actually "appear" in the film at all, but the studio figured audiences would feel cheated if they couldn't see it at some point, and so that one scene was added. Nonetheless, it truly is a great ghost film.

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 3:13:44 AM PDT
Laura Conway says:
I agree, ITS ABOUT TIME! Now if they could finally release Solid Gold cadillac my collection will be complete!

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 6:00:27 PM PDT
Rob says:
I agree. This is my very favorite ghost movie of all time, and I've been waiting for it to finally be released for years. I can't wait to get it. Now if only "Let It Be" would finally come out on blu-ray.

Posted on Sep 4, 2013 12:18:37 PM PDT
T. Kirby says:
I agree. I can remember watching this with my mother on Turner Classic Movies when I was younger. I remember I had no desire to see an old black and white at the time. But I gave it a chance (I figured since I love Arsenic and Old Lace I may end up liking this) and while it wasn't scary compared to todays (or even ten years ago) movies, I instantly fell in love with this movie. I have been waiting for a long time to see if this would come out so I could add it to my collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2013 8:06:55 PM PDT
For the life of me, I don't know why a lot of you folks keep saying this isn't a scary movie. I've seen it at least 10 times from start to finish and still, after all these screenings, especially those at nightime, there's no way I'm going to my basement on a day of domestic chores to empty my clothes dryer. Safer to do that during daylight hours.

On a side note, I'd like to know what movies made in the last ten years were actually scary and held your attention through all the blood and guts, beheadings or other dismemberings. Being gross is not being scary.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 11:49:02 AM PST
Right - this movie is truly scary because it gets into your head - it plays with your imagination, it doesn't just try to shock you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (476 customer reviews)

$29.95 $19.75