Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Up and Running, September 16, 2011
This review is from: Foxconn NTA350-0H0W-B-A-NA AMD Hudson D1 1x204 Pin AMD Radeon HD 6310 Mini/Booksize Barebone System (Black) (Personal Computers)
Just finished loading Windows 7 on it. I was a little frustrated at first because of the lack of documentation on how to install the hard drive and memory (drive and memory ordered separately). There are four screws you need to remove using a narrow screwdriver and then you have to pry off the top, gently working your screw driver under the edge of the lid.

Since I didn't have an external CD-Rom drive to perform the installation, I used two USB flash drives, one with Windows 7 on it, and the other with the drivers from the CD. I made the mistake of initially attempting the installation using the two 3.0 USB ports on the front of the computer. If you do that, it will prompt you for drivers during the install and you will get stuck. Instead, use the 2.0 USB ports on the back of the computer and the installation will complete fine. At the end of the Windows 7 installation, you will need to install the drivers. Be sure to refer to the booklet provide which instructs you to install one particular driver first, followed by the others.

I don't yet have enough experience with it to comment on its performance, other than to say my initial impressions are positive. You might want to check out Newegg.com which has more feedback. People over there say the unit tends to run hot if subjected to heavy processing.

UPDATE:

I have been using it now as my primary desktop at home for a few weeks and have been pretty happy with it. It is not really a great multi-tasking machine, but for single purpose tasks it is fine. I do streaming video to my Android tablet, and that works well, although transcoding at the desktop results in a heavy load on the processors.

One thing I have noticed is the Wireless Network adapter doesn't support "Wake on Lan" --meaning I can't can't send a magic packet to the IP address assigned to this adapter from my Android tablet in order to wake it up. To resolve this I ran an ethernet cable from the Foxconn PC to my router and enabled the Wake on Lan properties for this adapter. So, I now send the magic packet to the IP address assigned to the ethernet adapter and it wakes fine.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2011 3:24:48 AM PDT
jaynicks says:
Elmonica, I think the overheating may actually be USB's plugged in that draw too much power. I had some odd stoppages until I switched USBs to powered hubs. The PS is only 65W.

Mine is running fine, PCLinux OS, a web server and I'm putting cloud NSF and Samba on it now for friends that don't want to trust commercial clouds. Nothing like a home cloud server on the kitchen table or in the coat closet.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 11:11:52 AM PDT
Elmonica says:
Hi jaynicks,

Yeah, I think you are right. I put my hands on the case from time to time and it hasn't been to hot, and I have an external 2.5 drive attached. I will consider a powered hub if I add any more devices.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 8:48:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 15, 2012 8:49:25 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 8:52:01 AM PDT
tmanXX says:
Just wanted to say thanx. Was having a lot of dificulty trying to get Windows installed. Searched a lot and then found your comment. I has my USB 3.0 memory stick in the USB 3.0 ports. Saw your comment and stuck it in the 2.0 port and Windows installed like a champ. Thanx for your comment!!!

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 8:55:50 AM PDT
Don Chortle says:
Thanks for your comments! I also had issues having the USB Memory Stick in the 3.0 slot trying to install windows 7.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 11:05:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2012 11:06:15 PM PDT
I can't thank you enough for mentioning the issue you had with using the front ports when attempting to install Windows 7. I was about to flip my lid.... 2 hours into this and I was ready to send it back.

Thanks again.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 1:26:51 PM PST
Ian Kirk says:
Thanks for writing such detailed inform about this product.

FYI: WiFi Network adapters do not support Wake on LAN option. So its not a issue on the product.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›