4.0 out of 5 stars Surveillance wire that works with a "But....", January 7, 2010
This review is from: VideoSecu 100 Feet Pre-made All-in-One Video Power BNC RCA Cable for CCTV Security Cameras 1JE (Electronics)
I purchased this cable through Amazon. This wire is typically used to connect a surveillance camera to a TV monitor or a recording device (VCR or DVR). Each end of the wire has a plug for video and DC power. One end of the cable has a male 2.1mm DC power connector and a male RCA type video plug. The other end of the cable has a female DC power connector and a female BNC video plug. The seller is generous enough to include 2 conversion adapters in case you need an RCA plug on both ends (for a standard VCR or monitor) or you need a BNC connection on both ends (often seen on time-lapse security recording devices and some more expensive cameras). The price was very reasonable for 100 feet of cable and the cable does work nicely.

Now for the "but...' part in the title of this review:
I failed to look closely at the picture. If you do look closely at the picture you will see two separate wires at each end of the cable which are joined into one single wire a few inches later. I assumed that there would be two wires attached to each other for the entire cable length just like any standard electric cord. If your security setup has your recording device right next to your power supply then this wire is fine and there is no problem. However if you have your recording device is in a lock box for added security and your power supply is not located in the lock box (perhaps because of concern about excessive heat buildup from the power brick or space or electrical considerations) then you will not be able to separate the video and power wire so that you can run the power wire to a different location. Cable that I purchased a few years ago had 2 wires on each end of the cable that are joined a few inches later just like this wire but the wires remain separate (but attached) along the entire length of cable. I could split the two apart with a knife for any length I chose. In my case my power supply is 10 feet away. In all likelihood the seller would accept a return but with the shipping cost it is probably not worth it for me. I will now have to find a 10 foot DC power cable extension wire and run the extra wire from the lock box to the power brick. Two distinct wires would have been so much easier and less messy. As I said this one is my mistake. I did not know this wire was sold in this format. On the plus side if stealth is part of your setup then a single wire is easier to hide than a double joined wire.

The seller was quick with shipping and had good communication about the purchase.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 14, 2010 12:37:14 PM PDT
If your DC supply is so vulnerable, I have to wonder what other flaws your installation has. Is the lock box really going to protect your recorder from interruption or theft? My recommendation is a battery in the lock box and the charger could be external and still provide battery coverage, but a charging relay must be installed on the battery to prevent a short induced by vandals in the charging wires from draining and disabling the battery. Relay would be configured so the battery would only be connected to the charge line, if the charge line was feeding proper power.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2010 9:32:57 AM PST
ScoobysMyMan says:
Critiquing his security/wiring solution with only the information he provided is uninformative & useless.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2011 9:38:40 AM PDT
It seems that people don't think your post adds to the discussion. Perhaps on the surface it doesn't. However for me, it got me to thinking... And what I think is that what you're saying is a really great idea. I hadn't considered using a battery like that. Makes a ton of sense. So THANK YOU!
I was just about to buy a multiport power supply for my system, but I think I'll build it as you say, except without the charge circuit relay. Instead, I will place a small battery tender/charger within the lock box, and not worry about the inconsequential (tiny) amount of heat from it. The worst anyone could do would be to cut power to that/short the wires. But even then, the battery will continue powering the system without interruption.
My vote, Anti-Genius, is that you continue to post whatever you're inspired to. Thanks again. And people, it's just good information. He wasn't flaming the original reviewer. Shouldn't we all freely share and learn from each other?

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 8:05:29 AM PST
I wish I knew more about security cameras and setup. I am pretty much a newbie with this stuff. We just bought our home and I would really like to have some sort of system with 4 cameras (one on each corner of my home, with night vision also). It's really dark where we live. I am disabled and would really like to be able to see what is going on in live-mode from my bedroom. That is where most of my time is spent, and we have a rather large home. Any ideas would be appreciated as there are so many options with this kind of stuff. It really confuses me.

Posted on May 19, 2012 5:23:51 PM PDT
Matt says:
This is very good information and the original cables that came with my camera are the same way. For the average homeowner/DIYer this will not be a problem. If you think it will be a problem for you get wireless cameras and use a separate power supply near each camera installation.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 7:51:07 AM PST
wikked says:
I also believe your post made a great point! I am a beginner in this and your post made sense and I will most likely set mine up the same way. Thanks alot!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2014 4:23:08 PM PST
pln4kps says:
you could put everything in a bedroom closet pull your power from within put your dvr on a shelf it would all be out of site unless you tell someone since most cameras are installed in the soffit area on the outside of the house drop the wires from the camera thru the attic to the closet done deal
‹ Previous 1 Next ›