Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

3.0 out of 5 stars a review from an owner... big letdown time, October 5, 2013
This review is from: The Exorcist: 40th Anniversary [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Okay, I love this movie and have purchased it in seemingly endless formats and editions but this was a HUGE letdown. One of my local stores had them out today (Friday before release date) and I grabbed it for $45.99 so it came to 50 bucks with tax.
What do you get?
the same 2 discs as before The Exorcist (Extended Director's Cut & Original Theatrical Edition) [Blu-ray]
One disc of the extended version with all the bonus features and the second disc of the theatrical cut with the bonus features the VERY SAME discs as previously released. This disc by the way contains the brilliant "FEAR OF EVIL" documentary by English Film critic Mark Kermode which hasn't even been reformated to 16 x 9 even though it still dominates the whole proceedings as the singular best documentary on this movie OF ALL.

so... for my 50 dollar triple dip into blu ray what did I get?
a small book which has an adapted version of the chapter in Billy Friedkins excellent book The Friedkin Connection: A Memoir since I have the book (did I mention it is excellent?) this was of little value
and a BONUS Disc!!
the BR bonus disc which I had been hearing about for some time contains a
27 minute (yep that is it ONLY 27 minutes) feature about William Peter Blatty going back to where it began. This is a very odd and interesting feature. Odd because Blatty in his ever changing wigs has chosen a doozy and because his face seems to be altered as well either due to plastic surgery for appearances or as a result of an accident (I'm not trying to be mean) its just looking at him over the years is an odd thing to do , similar yet less radical than Michael Cimino. It is an interesting featurette to be sure but really NOT worth buying the whole bloody thing again and at fifty bucks no less. The other "featurette" compiles old black and white footage of Father Gallagher talking about the true case that inspired Blatty. I found this boring and could barely make it through its 15 minutes or so.

Bottom line, unless you are freakishly devout follower of all things Exorcist and HAVE to have another 40 minutes or so of babbling by the author... which reveals little not touched upon already and comes across a bit self indulgent and strange. KEEP your old BR set , and spend your money on something new. The film is NOT remastered or updated in any way...the two major BR discs are the SAME as before. This is a packaging strategy. I am basing my review on the minimal differences between this and previous editions as well as the listed $49.99 price Warners has attached to this, to reiterate I think its a 5 star movie and the previous 2 BR set was a 5 star release.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2013 2:10:59 PM PDT
Marblehead says:
Thank you for your review, I really appreciated you being detailed about the contents. I have the previous bluray version, and now I will NOT waste money on this! So tired of the endless repackaging of the same features!!

Posted on Oct 6, 2013 10:07:06 PM PDT
Lisa D says:
Thank you for your very thorough review! I just have the DVD format previously, so I snapped this up for $19.99 with Amazon's pre-order price guarantee and expect to receive it on Tuesday...good to know I don't need any of the previous versions since they have the same things!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2013 12:49:42 AM PDT
Richardson says:
WOW.... at $19.99 I'd be thrilled to replace all my previous editions with this ...or in your case your waiting has been rewarded! Good for you....yes, everything from previous editions is contained .

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 9:58:57 AM PDT
billymac72 says:
Question: Isn't there a new Blatty commentary?

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 10:51:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2013 11:25:25 AM PDT
Chas Law says:
Thank you so much for the heads up. I too love this film and have invested in more than one release to date. Having only joined the ranks of Blu Ray owners last year I currently have the DVD of this extended release. Do I love the film enough to fork out an amazing $35 for packaging, some editorials and a few tiny extras? No. I'm currently looking for the 2011 digibook release which, as you point out, are the EXACT same 2 discs. I'll forgo the 3rd disc as it now seems to me this is simply another re-packaging exercise by WB to get the fanboys to double and triple dip but at a massively over priced mark up. Setting a list price of $49.99 is criminal. To see people advertising this set at a saving of $15 for $35 is, to me, insulting.

EDITED TO ADD
I just found the 2010 Digibook release on Warner Brothers own site for a little over $13 with free shipping. Same digibook is here on Amazon currently for just over $21.
Your review just save me serious money. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2013 2:20:13 PM PDT
There is.

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 3:21:36 PM PDT
Hello Richardson "Clarence". I was at Wal-Mart today and saw that the new 40th Anniversary edition of "The Exorcist" on blu-ray was released. I looked at it at a price of $40 bucks and that's without tax and contemplated whether or not to get it. I decided to wait just in case.

The thing is, is that first off I have the theatrical version on vhs which also includes the documentary, "Fear of God" and an introduction by William Friedkin before the actual feature. And about a year or less ago, I bought the extended version on blu-ray which only includes the extended version, but has a commentary by Friedkin, the documentaries: "Faces of Evil", "Exorcist Locations", and "Raising Hell". As well as theatrical trailers, TV and radio spots.

And while I love to see new footage or featurettes, the ones in the new 40th didn't really seem that appealing to me. I mean instead of that, why didn't they ask stars Linda Blair and Ellen Burstyn to contribute to the new edition. Or maybe have them do a commentary. That might of sold me on buying another edition.

But from what I read from your review, with the exception of Mark Kermode's doc "Fear of Evil", the new featurettes are rather boring and not worth the greenbacks. Am I clear on that? I mean that's what you're saying, right? Plus, another question before I go. I mentioned before that I have both versions of the film. This new edition doesn't contain any new scenes or new footage added back in, right? I mean none that we haven't seen before, right? I'm a HUGE movie geek and I love me some new footage.

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 3:26:24 PM PDT
Was able to view "Beyond Comprehension" on another website and have no clue as to what you're talking about concerning the appearance of Blatty's face. Seems like bitchiness without a cause.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013 10:45:07 AM PDT
K-Mo says:
hey there can you tell me if this region free?

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 4:44:24 PM PDT
Aaron Pynn says:
Hi. I understand not wanting it if you own the Digibook but it is an incredible set. It's definitely a much better looking set than the Digibook IMHO and yes the extra features are not massive but i will take quality features that are shorter over any long drawn out stuff. Let's face it, the Exorcist was already well done feature-wise. I didn't own any edition of the Exorcist so this is my first edition.
Great review. I feel if you don't own the movie though this is definitely the version to pick up. It even has a letter from Friedkin included.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›