4 of 4 people found the following review helpful
Zune > Ipod,
This review is from: Zune 30 GB Digital Media Player (Black) (Electronics)
Before purchasing this player, I owned a 5.5gen 30gb iPod. Now I used these mp3 players for playing music in my car and in my house. In terms of in-car music, the iPod was hard to navigate while driving - in particular, scrolling through songs was not precise and I constantly had to scroll back slowly to get the right song (while not paying attention to the road! dangerous!). In-house music, the iPod was fine, no real problems.
When I got the Zune, all of this changed. Let me first dispense the good and bad.
- Bigger display (better looking album art).
- Easier navigation (artists to albums to playlists.. all very easy and smooth)
- Access to radio (not really needed for me while in the car, but otherwise)
- Photo and video playback is widescreen.
- No over-sensitive touch wheel, all buttons.
- Customization (background)
- Zune Social (allows you to publish what music you listen to and how often)
- Zune software is fun and easy to use (does not leech memory like iTunes)
- Recently added support for Smart Playlists (all songs within this year, etc.)
- Sync your music over your home wireless!
- Back button sometimes slow (when viewing more details about a song)
- Rating songs can only be like, dislike, or neither
- Method to change id3 tags in program is frustrating
- No access to hard-drive for storage
- 3 days or 3 plays is stupid
- Zune marketplace is DRMed
- Connection to the TV is bad quality (visually)
- Xbox 360 connection is also ugly, but works
Now I absolutely love my Zune, especially in the car. Navigating songs has never been easier, the look of my music when it is being played is very nice (covers, etc), and the Zune social is fun to be a part of!
All of the points I made in the Cons section are not enough to drop this review from a 5 to a 4, maybe a 4.5. So I'm rounding up!