3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but ..., November 23, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 4GB Console with Kinect (Video Game)
I'll leave the Xbox part out, because we all know that works fine. The Kinect device is an impressive piece of technology that works as advertised, tracking you and putting you "in the game." Jump and your character jumps. The only problem I had with it was a dealbreaker though. It requires significantly more space than the minimum. While Microsoft says it will work with 6 feet of space, I had very little luck with 8 feet. If you have a big, open space, this is a great option for you. If you're like most of us, we'll have to wait for another solution.

SUMMARY: Do not buy unless you have 10 feet or more of space. Take width and height of your play area into account as well.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2010 4:54:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2010 4:55:33 PM PST
JReign says:
I honestly have good tracking with right at 6ft. I think 10 feet would be to much as I tried it and Kinect Sports told me to move forward. Maybe its the camera's position? My Kinect camera is on the base of my 55"

Posted on Nov 24, 2010 4:16:09 PM PST
ash115 says:
Really? I don't have that much space in my living room.

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 10:13:51 PM PST
S. Black says:
I'm playing in a 6 x 8 area and it seems to be plenty. I wouldn't go smaller than 6 ft since you'll probably hit the TV. Obviously low ceilings are a problem, but that has nothing to do with the systems. If you have limited space or just want to sit on the couch and wave your arms, the Wii is a much better choice. FYI, I have a Wii and love it! It is just different.

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 3:28:39 PM PST
I am sorry that the reviewer has experienced poor performance at the recommended distance, but I must disagree with his recommendation not to buy unless you have 10 feet of space. I personally have not found 6ft to be a problem in my relatively small apartment's living room.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 8:47:22 AM PST
J. Gilmore says:
It might have to do with where you mount it. From what I've read it works best at about eye level, it makes it easier to see you from head to toe.

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 10:20:16 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 11, 2011 11:12:46 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 9:56:17 AM PST
Here's a helpful tip: If you place the Kinect above your television, it will give you an extra foot of space. If you don't believe me, boot up Xbox Live and watch the "how to" videos about Kinect.

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 8:52:55 AM PDT

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 5:55:29 PM PDT
anonymous says:
When you say six feet, is that six feet in each direction? Also, the only space I have to potentially put this would be in my basement, and the ceiling is a little low (I'm not going to bump my head on it, but I definitely can't fully extend my arms above me without hitting it)- do you think the Kinect would still be ok for my space? Maybe not 100% ideal, but would you advise not getting it at all for this space? Thanks!

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 8:04:17 PM PST
Brian says:
you might need to pick up the Kinect Zoom attachment for smaller spaces. Zoom for Kinect

Don't write something off cause of lack of knowledge about the products and options for your small living room.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (835 customer reviews)

$299.99 $239.99