Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Piece of Technology, November 9, 2011
This review is from: ASUS UX31 13-Inch Laptop [2011 model] (Personal Computers)
The laptops design - top notch. I returned my air last week after I saw this laptop. The metal finish is really amazing and the laptop is built very sturdily. It's got a nicer metal finish than the air and it does not leave nearly as many fingerprints. It's a grey shiny steel that really gives the laptop a unique appearance.

I got the UX-31E because I don't really think it makes sense to get an i-7 in this laptop. The i-5 is blazingly fast already - the computer loads up programs faster than my overclocked i-7 4.2Ghz (Overclocked). I know part of it is the "new computer effect", but the speed it reboots and starts up is amazing and audio and movies are smooth. Here are the major things I've noticed:

Sound: Better than my MacBook pro. Thank Harmon Kardon -- those guys are genius. When you hear it, you will be like wow, that is pretty amazing.(4.5 - 5)

Trackpad: When I first got the laptop, I almost chucked it against the wall. Then I installed, reinstalled, deleted, installed, and finally downloaded the Sentelic drivers -- tried the Elantech ones at first. Now it works, scrolls, and is pretty much an average windows trackpad with the Mac things built in. You gotta give it to apple, they made the trackpad magical. This trackpad is kind of like the Ryan Leaf of trackpads -- it looks nice and large so that you could paint on it -- its designed well with a nice piece of glass -- but its a giant bust. The left button sometimes does not click -- I still have one week to return so I may return and see if its a defect on my laptop or just the model. I have not had many reports of it online, so it could just be me. At the same time, you can always tap to click o ntrackpad which is what ive been doing anyway. So trackpad rating now: 3 out of 5. There is an update in the works, and most people have been saying that it will improve much of what is currently not working.

Screen: Blows the air out of the water - brighter colors, darker blacks and vivid. Also higher res -- And I do a lot of photography, and the glare screen hasnt killed me yet -- i do wish it was Matte but c'est la vie. (4.5-5 == only because I have a very nice monitor for my desktop -- laptop wise its excellent)

Speed: 5-5 (I am amazed at how fast this thing is. Just did some adobe photoshop rendering with blazing fast speeds)

Battery: 6.4 hours and going with intermittent use over 4 days. Still says 30% remaining. (Continuous use with Wifi 6 hours 14 minutes)

WiFi: Whoever keeps whining about his wifi, I think you guys need better routers. It picks up every signal perfectly fine -- update your drivers (This is true for the whole thing -- just do it, everything gets better. Its windows -- all about the drivers!) (4-5) Download speeds have been quick for me and I have not had any real issues here.

SD Reader: Rare in these kinds of ultrabooks but awesome -- If im not mistaken, the Air doesn't have that.

Overall 4 (maybe 5 if the trackpad drivers are updated well) --- because yes, the trackpad is not perfect -- I may / may not get an external mouse. Haven't decided.

Otherwise, this thing is faster, lighter, thinner and better than the Air. I own Mac's, I know some of you will whine, but it is true. It improves on a lot of things and it's windows which means I can finally use Office without it crashing every 5 seconds on a Mac, or Excel that runs Macros.

[Add comment]