4.0 out of 5 stars Throw away the AC adapter!, November 26, 2011
This review is from: Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier with Power Supply (Electronics)
For the first couple of weeks, I hated this amp. Connected to my Denon speakers, it has terrific sound, and seems well built, but it had this nasty buzzing sound that drove me up the wall whenever the amp was on but nothing was playing loud enough to drown out the buzz. If you read the reviews on this amp, many, many people complain that there is no power adapter included. Then, you will find some comments that they are including a Vonage power adapter with it now. You will also find some complaints about an annoying buzzing sound. Well, my friends, the buzzing noise comes from that Vonage power adapter. If you provide your own 12v power supply, it works great and has very clean sound. I thought about returning this unit, but I can't get anything comparable for even twice the price, and 12v adapters just aren't very expensive. In my case, I had one just sitting around, and was delighted with the result. The amp is a keeper, the Vonage power supply is a tosser.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2011 10:25:11 AM PST
The supply that came with my amp has been working fine. You obviously had a defective supply and should have sent it back for another, rather than tell everybody that these amps come with shoddy supplies. The supply appears to be a switching supply, and buzzing is one of the symptoms of faulty switching supply.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 1:09:26 PM PST
Mojave Bob says:
If you take the time to read through the reviews of this amp, you will find that the buzzing is a regular complaint. The power supplies provided are old stock Vonage (not audio grade) units, and are clearly substandard for this application. Buzzing is also typical of cheap switching power supplies, not just defective ones. I stand by my post.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 1:38:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2011 1:38:55 PM PST
Bob, you are correct, we all did not get the same power supplies. The supply I received was good, and working well. I ordered another amp yesterday, so I hope I get a supply that is just as good as the first. I guess we should be glad it is a standar 12v supply, I have a garage full of them. Most Ham radio operators are pack rats for electronic parts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 5:02:32 PM PST
Mojave Bob says:
Glad the one you got worked ok. The amp is really pretty decent. These amps are also available all over eBay, but are generally sold without the power supply. I think the Amazon seller just got tired of returns because people expected to get a power supply, so they scrounged up whatever power supplies they could to bundle in. Based on the reviews, a lot of them are the Vonage ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 6:11:17 PM PST
The supply that came with my first amp is 12v @ 2a, and says it was made a CCD camera, by Rui De Xing, Input voltage is 100 - 240. I will post back when the second amp comes. This one runs cold, and is very clear and clean.

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 5:10:28 PM PDT
Thanks for the tip Bob.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 3:18:11 PM PDT
Amazon sea says:
Thanks Bob. My amp arrived today and I was shocked when my power supply cord said "Vonage" on the side. I am not much of an audiophile but would like the comfort of knowing that I am at leaset using a "standard" (perhaps above standard) power supply for the amp which is powering my pricey speakers (http://www.sjofnhifi.com/servlet/Detail?no=174). Can you suggest what I should look for when shopping for a new 12v power supply? unfortunately I dont have any just lying around.
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 5:13:44 PM PDT
A. Pyon, that Vonage supply is perfectly fine for the amp. I have been using one for many months on my amp. I have the amp being driven by an Internet clock radio with two bookshelf speakers. i wake to Planet Rock every morning, powered by this amp. No problem at all. Good luck. Joe

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 3:56:43 PM PDT
Mojave Bob says:
Joe -- I certainly can't claim that every Vonage supply is bad, but if you read through the reviews, you will find that the Vonage supply is the common theme in the problems people have with this amp, particularly with buzzing. If you got one that works, great for you. Consider yourself fortunate. What I was pointing out is that when people have problems, it tends to be the Vonage supply, not the amp. A better quality supply than what the Vonage one is would alleviate a lot of frustration with their customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 4:05:04 PM PDT
Mojave Bob says:
Hi! Give the Vonage supply a try. Like Joe, you may find you were fortunate enough to get one that works. If it buzzes, throw it away and get a better one. If you turn it all the way up with no audio playing, you should not hear any buzzing whatsoever -- just a gentle hiss. In terms of getting a "better" supply, good supplies cost considerably more than this amp does, so you aren't looking for quality so much as just finding one that works as it should. Cheap is fine as long as it does the job. And, Joe has a garage full of them. Maybe he can set you up! ;) I would also not hesitate to return the amp and repurchase. The vendor should have eliminated those Vonage supplies by now, as often as they are a problem.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›