3.0 out of 5 stars Like it, but it has an annoying design flaw, November 2, 2010
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife (Sports)
I've been carrying one on my key ring for years. Unfortunately, this handy little knife has an inexplicable design error: the attachment ring is at the "wrong" end. When the blade is open, my key ring attachment is in the middle of the opened knife, rather than at the end. This is not a problem with the scissors because they open out from the other end. However, since I use the blade about 99% of the time and the scissors about 1% of the time, the awkward placement of the ring is annoying in normal use. The other problem with this placement of the attachment ring is that the toothpick and the tweezers are more likely to slip out and get lost because they are hanging on the "down" side (mine disappeared long ago). If you look at many of the other Swiss Army brand knives that have an attachment ring, the connection point is in the "correct" place for easy use of the main blade. I still wouldn't part with mine, but I'm not happy that the design fights with the use of the tool.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 13, 2011 5:41:35 PM PDT
Okay, this reviewer makes a good point. But it does depend on what you use most. I use the scissors most, and the ring is located well for that. If you plan to use the blade most, then take a look at the Wenger brand of Swiss Army knives. They are sold at Eddie Bauer and L.L. Bean.

Personally, I have never lost a tweezers or toothpick in 29 years of using these knives.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 5:55:33 AM PDT
Tom Whelan says:
I totally agree! I had a little Spyderco for a number of years and the attachment ring was at the "right" end. First time I used this knife while on my keychain, I was like, "What the heck?" I'll have to figure out a way that I can quickly take it off.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 9:57:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2012 10:09:34 AM PST
bobby butler says:
EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Believe it or not, I mentioned the fact about the attachment ring placement being at the wrong end of the knife, to VICTORINOX, over twenty years ago when it was returned for service; which, I must say, they promptly and satisfactorily preformed. I guess when corporations get "big" and "corner" their marketplace "nitch", they stop listening to their customers' feedback responces. (R.) 'Bobby' Butler, NY.

Posted on Jun 8, 2013 4:16:20 PM PDT
Absolutely right. I think we should all update our ratings for Victronix to listen. The keyring is at the wrong end of the knife and right end of the scissors. Maybe this knife in reality is a nail-clipper (scissor to clip and file to smooth out and the knife is a novilty that goes with the name. I am updating my review to 1 just so they may listen otherwise the knife is worth 3.5 stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2013 6:37:46 PM PDT
Bobby, I think you did the right thing by mentioning the problem to Victorinox. It's probably not reasonable to expect a successful company to change a design based on ONE complaint. I think if enough people wrote to Victorinox, they would consider making the change. More than likely (based on the incredible number of models they offer already), I'd guess they would simply make a newer version of the Classic (with the key ring at the other end) and call it something else.

I think it's worth it for as many people as think this design should be changed to write to Victorinox and specifically tell them that.

Personally, I don't attach knives to my key ring. I absolutely detest large key rings and find all the extra garbage we put on our key rings just makes them noisy, cumbersome, sloppy, and prone to scratching the doors. So I won't be writing to Victorinox personally since I don't have a problem with the design. I think if you DO have an issue with it, you should write to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2013 6:39:16 PM PDT
khadeeja, I seriously doubt anyone from Victorinox reads any of the reviews/comments on Amazon. Victoinox is a manufacturer. The seller for these knives is usually Swiss Knife Shop and they have no control over design or manufacture. If you want Victorinox to hear you, you have to write to them directly.

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 2:24:09 PM PDT
solsky says:
I came here to write a review about this issue and saw it's already here. I think even if the user uses scissors more it is still on the wrong end because the knife really needs that handle but the scissors probably not as much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2013 10:10:50 PM PST
keta377 says:
I disagree. Credible manufacturers are consistently reviewing amazon feedback and responding accordingly. Please continue to voice your open and honest opinion. The consumer discussion absolutely leads to better future products.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (1,543 customer reviews)
 (1,268)