Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now DOTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Best monitor on the market, August 23, 2011
This review is from: Motorola MBP36 Remote Wireless Video Baby Monitor withColor LCD Screen (Baby Product)
This monitor is amazing. Over the last 3 and a half years I have bought and returned probably 5 monitors. We ended up with a Summer monitor for the first 2.5 years, then it finally broke and replaced it with a Summer Bestview. The only problem is that model (bought in January 2011) is discontinued and with a second baby on the way we need a second camera which is no longer available. I have been researching for weeks now, reading every review on Amazon and other sites and decided to order the Motorola MBP36.

When I wrote this review a few weeks ago, a second monitor was not available anywhere. Although they are not available on Amazon yet (as of 9/1/2011), they are available online at other major baby stores where you "buy" stuff for babies (hint hint). I just ordered one today, which now makes this the perfect monitor.

PROS
- LCD Unit
First of all, the LCD screen is huge. It is 3.5" diagonally. For reference, and iPhone is also 3.5". The aspect ratio is a bit more square than an iPhone, but you get the idea. The unit is very thin, its about as thick as a typical men's wallet. It is lightweight, has a nice kick stand that seems very sturdy and nice, grippy rubber feet on the bottom that are very unobtrusive but work great. There is an antenna across the top back that can flip up if you need it to get better reception, but we have never needed it, even when two floors away. There are 4 buttons on each side of the screen, 4 directional that control camera, volume, menu navigation, a menu button, an "ok" button, a video on/off button and a microphone button. They are well placed, it is not a huge problem to have to hit the menu to get to volume, we had to do the same on the Summer Bestview and it is the first menu option (i.e. hit the menu button and it is already in the volume option, so just hit up/down from there).

As you can tell from the pictures, the unit has pretty good industrial design too, which seems to be the trend in baby monitors now. Battery life is decent, it works enough to have a daytime nap and then use it again in the evening without charging in between. Your not going to get more than 3-4 hours out of it if you use the LCD a lot though. There is a series of LEDs across the top that indicate how much noise your kids are making, and there is a very accurate temperature display (based on reviews, sounds like Samsung temp is off by 10 degrees, but this unit matches the thermostat outside the room so I'm assuming spot on).

- Camera
The ability to scan and pan is great, very quiet and no likely to disrupt your kid. There is a small green LED on the front of the camera, but you can't see the infrared lights in the dark (unlike our Summer Bestview which looks like 10 little LEDs in the dark). The zoom is not great, kind of hard to get to on the menu and it is only a digital zoom that crops the center of the picture and doubles it. It is small and can be placed pretty much anywhere. The picture that it sends to the handheld unit is great (as far as baby monitors go). It isn't going to win a technical Oscar, but it is very clear. The huge LCD screen helps. In daylight it is incredibly crisp and vibrant. I haven't noticed any interference with WiFi, but haven't really tested either. It operates at 2.4GHz and we mostly have 5Ghz 802.11n devices, so we are in a different bandwidth that doesn't conflict.

If you have additional cameras (up to 4), you can set the monitor to manually scan through them, it will stay on each one for 12 seconds based on what it says in the manual. You can have up to 4 cameras, but there is no ability to see multiple ones on the the screen at once (like the Lorex).

CONS
I guess a minor quibble might be that you can't put batteries in the camera, but the old monitor had this functionality and we never used it in 2.5 years so not an issue for me. One other possible thing worth mentioning is that the monitor unit takes a proprietary battery, very similar to what a lot of cordless phones have. One other minor thing worth mentioning is that the infrared LEDs at night are not very bright from 10 feet away, we are just going to put a shelf near our 3 year olds bed so that it will be closer (think of the LEDs around the camera as flashlights for night vision).

I can say without reservation that this thing deserves 5 stars after a 3 full weeks with it. My wife loves the size of the screen, the light weight monitor, the portability, ease of use etc. Its a very cool product.

*Update 8/24/2011* minor spelling correction (sales to sails) and added clarifying point in final paragraph "even though it supports 4 cameras", which was already mentioned above but needed reiterating.

*Update 9/1/2011* Removed comments about additional cameras not being available since I bought one today. Added a few minor updates to the review.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 24, 2011 7:45:03 AM PDT
Bubula says:
Its expandable to 4 cameras

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2011 7:46:31 AM PDT
Yes - it supports 4 cameras, I mentioned that in my section called "Camera". The problem is, there is no easy way to buy any additional cameras. . .

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 9:41:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2011 9:42:13 AM PDT
Brian Gerst says:
I don't know if you have a buy buy baby store near you but there was separate camera in the baby monitor aisle I would try there if it is easy for you but call first so you don't make the trip for nothing. I hope that helps. I didn't see it on the website though...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2011 8:53:12 PM PDT
They have a new one near us and I stopped there today. They have the combo, but not extra monitors. They are going to check with the Motorola rep and I will check in with them later this week.

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 11:54:39 AM PDT
I googled "additional camera for Motorola baby monitor" and came up with a website called Storks Landing where it is listed for $89.00. Here is the link: http://shopstorklanding.com/store/shop_product.php?UPC=16164
Hope that helps. I'm off to go buy the main unit now for my 1 child, thank you for your thorough review.

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 12:13:44 PM PDT
Crap- I just saw what you mean. All sites show as temporarily unavailable. I just called the baby monitor dept at Motorola (1-888-331-3383) and was told that it will be 4-6 weeks before Motorola has them in stock. Hopefully not long after that, they will be in retail outlets. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 10:04:55 AM PDT
kim says:

Here's a link to buy a separate camera. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 10:07:22 AM PDT
Thanks so much for posting. . . they are out of stock like everyone else, but I assume that once Motorola starts shipping them, everyone will have them?

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 11:33:31 AM PDT
It looks like BuyBuyBaby and BedBathBeyond (same company) are bothing showing the camera is available online. I at least didn't get an "unavailable" message. Thanks so much for your review. I have a now discontinued video monitor by Levana, which I love, but need a second camera for baby #2. I love that this has a much greater range than the Levana & will probably go with this one. 7 months to go, so plenty of time to wait for Amazon to get the camera and sell it for a better price than BBB. :)

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 5:04:59 PM PDT
mandybelle says:
Does anyone know if you get the second, third and or fourth camera... can you see all the camera's at the same time on the parent unit? I have 2 kids in 2 different rooms and I want to see them both at the same time. Anyone know?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›