Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars Honest review from a twitter follower, December 30, 2011
This review is from: I Was Blind But Now I See: Time to Be Happy (Paperback)
For perspective, I started following James Altucher on twitter and his blog after someone I knew sent me a link to his blog. I felt we thought the same way about a lot of things, and I feel it reassuring and motivating to follow his writing. It's not for everyone, but it works for me, so I continue to do so... because of this, I decided to purchase his book thinking it might expand a bit on his blog. Unfortunately it really doesn't... but that being said I could recommend buying the book or not buying based on the following:

DON'T buy the book if:
1. You're strapped for cash - really everything is already on his blog for free.
2. Critical of poor editing or typos - Unfortunately since a lot of this is cut and pasted from the blog it has some glaring references to links etc that could have been cleaned up prior to printing. Also quite a few typos.**
3. If you haven't read his blog first. Read the blog first and decide if you want to buy the book based on the below.
4. You're hoping for him to expand on the blog... for the most part he doesn't do this much.

BUY this book if:
1. You like the blog and would like to try to capture a good bit of it all in one place without clicking around, or if you'd like to read somewhere without internet. i.e. most airplanes, camping, etc. I got it mostly for this reason (and the thought it might expand on the topics)
2. You like James' writing and want him to keep doing it. I felt good buying the book and basically throwing a few $$ to him. Also, I really think he's sincere in loving what he does. I appreciate it and want him to keep doing it, no better way to say that then buying the book.
3. You like the blog and want to genuinely share it with someone. e-mailing the blog hardly works, we're overloaded with the information in the internet as it is, but buying the book for someone shows conviction and commitment, and the person you want to read it probably will at least start it. (yes I realize I starting reading from a link, got lucky I guess)

Hope this helps!

**Note to James: Try sending a copy of your next book to some of your followers for free to proof read. I'm sure they'd be happy to get an early copy of some of your writing, and you get some free editing! Win-Win!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 15, 2012 8:59:56 PM PDT
P. Saintonge says:
Agree the book is good if you'd like to share the blog with somebody. Think of it as paying $0.99 for convenient mailing packaging. My wife wouldn't have read James' blog if I hadn't stashed this in Kindle.

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 10:16:21 AM PDT
I was the first. Hoorah!

Posted on Jul 20, 2015 3:31:02 PM PDT
Wallace B. says:
Thanks for your review. Since you reported the text suffers from poor editing and typo errors that's enough for me not to click the buy button. I don't get how such a highly motivated businessman rolling in money can't even manage to present his own product in a professional manner. At the very least he could hire a proof reader or use spell and grammar check. To me, it signals he's more interested in turning a quick buck than turning out a superior product.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›