Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

4.0 out of 5 stars Totally, totally....., November 7, 2007
This review is from: Boom!: Voices of the Sixties Personal Reflections on the '60s and Today (Hardcover)
Right off let me say that if you missed the sixties, this book is still something you'll want to read. If, like myself, you came of age during that decade you will also find Boom more that worth the time to read.

Brokaw has a way of condensing the ideas he's trying to get the reader to engage. I found The Greatest Generation terribly revealing about my parent's generation. I suspect those born during the sixties and after will also find Boom's content interesting.

I was also impressed with the famous who agreed to be interviewed for this work. I have heard the following quip, "If you can remember the sixties you didn't experience it." Well, clearly for those Brokaw interviewed that isn't true.

Boom is logically organized and intelligently written. You can tell that Brokaw loves doing research and loves his subject.

The hogwash about how much money Brokaw has made and whether this effects his objectivity toward Cheney and others is a distraction. No one has ever challenged Brokaw's professionalism because he earns a lot of money. For some reason, being financially successful is a kiss of death in some individuals eyes.

Boom is a wonderful look at a time that truly is a defining era. There is America before the sixties and the America after the sixties and they aren't the same place. You'll want to read this one slowly and ponder what it says.

Peace from North Carolina

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2007 5:38:38 PM PST
Gerard Jones says:
I see Amazon removed my review. Pity. Having lived in Haight-Ashbury from 1964 to 1968 and having written a way better book about the real time and the real place and the real people there you'd think my opinion ought at least to be heard. Not so, it turns out. Lots of people think it's great to live in a complete police state. You're one of 'em. I'm not. G.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2007 5:23:36 AM PST
Robert Busko says:
You're still living in the past my friend. An by the way, Haight-Ashbury wasn't the end-all be all of the hippy movement. I hung out with a great bunch in Key West. What many remember Haight-Ashbury for is Mr. Helter Skelter. Nice.

While you were smoking your your brain away and tripping I was in the Marines (67-71). I suspect your "way better" book was as stilted and one sided as the author is now.

Why don't you give up the sixties and come with the rest of us into the 21st century.

Lastly, I suspect Amazon pulled your review because it did little to "review" the book itselt. That, afterall, is what this website is all about.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2007 6:05:13 AM PST
Gerard Jones says:
I'm living in the present, actually, and I'm actually living. You should try it sometime. My book's a lot about my buddy who was in the Special Forces in Vietnam in 1963 and 1964, so I'm not terribly impressed that you were a Marine. Lots of boneheads who didn't know any better at the time were Marines. I've got two in my book. They're on their way to a rock concert at Speedway Meadows in October of 1967. Amazon pulled my review because it was truthful and germane. G.

Posted on Nov 8, 2007 12:15:01 PM PST
Robert Busko says:
Just as an aside, I find it curious that after 40 years our generation is still divided and that all things considered our opinions haven't changed that much. Are you equally surprised?

RB

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2007 5:50:47 PM PST
Gerard Jones says:
I'm a little surprised, yeah, but not much has really changed. I blame you for that and assume you blame me. Things like Amazon censoring my valid, fairly innocuous little criticism I blame on guys like you, guys who do what they're told to do and read what they're told to read and say what they're told to say and write what they're told to write. It's a fairly deep and lasting division. I like my side of it and assume you like yours. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. You'll pay to read slop like this Brokaw book and, because you and Random House were stupid enough to buy it and hype it, you'll think it's worth reading or writing. I'll read what I write for free and know it's worth reading and writing or I wouldn't have written it. The chances of either of us coming around to the other's point of view are nil; we'll never understand each other and I suspect that suits you better than it suits me. G.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2007 6:44:23 AM PST
Robert Busko says:
These are my last words to you on this or any subject. You are one of the saddest individuals I've exchanged ideas with ever. You assume too much. You haven't walked in my world. As a public library director I have to be open to all types of ideas whether I agree with them or not. I suggest you see a therapist. Don't assume you know anything about me, what I believe, or my value set. I certainly won't give you another thought. Your self serving closing statement gave me a good gag. You need an intellectual bath.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2007 8:56:53 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2007 10:09:56 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 10, 2007 12:42:17 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2007 10:16:52 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 10, 2007 12:42:04 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 11, 2007 8:57:39 AM PST
Magellan says:
Nice review, and I will probably read the book as a result.

I was 19 when the 60s ended, so I remember it well. It was an interesting time, but for me the 60s was more hype than substance, in a lot ways. Still, it was probably a better decade than the current one, but then that's probably not saying much.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›