Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

1,008 of 1,024 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, BAD Marketing, December 9, 2009
This review is from: Grandpa Witmer's Old Fashioned Mess-Free Nut Butter and Natural Peanut Butter Mixer, Made in America, BPA Free, Fits 16-Ounce Jars with 3-Inch Lids (Kitchen)
I read most of the reviews (especially the negative ones) about this product before purchasing and knew of the possibility that this particular model may not fit the brand of natural PB my wife likes (16 oz Natural Organic PB from Trader Joe's in a plastic jar). I decided to get it because there was a decent chance it would fit. Without opening the package, I could tell it wouldn't fit. This could have easily been avoided if the specs were included in the product details.

Anyone purchasing this or similar models should know that there are 6 DIFFERENT MODELS TO CHOOSE FROM:

#100 -- crank mixer for 16 oz jar with 77mm lid
#200 -- twist knob mixer for 16 oz reduced fat jar with 77mm lid
#300 -- crank mixer for 16 oz jar with 70mm lid
#400 -- crank mixer for 26 oz jar with 83mm lid
#500 -- twist knob mixer for 26 oz jar with 83mm lid
#600 -- twist knob mixer for 36 oz jar with 99mm lid

The product considered in this review refers to Model #100. Those of you who want it to fit on the Trader Joe's PB that I mentioned earlier will need to get Model #300.

As I said in the subject, this product looks like a great idea, but the marketing lacks an important fact (which I find unnecessarily deceptive) so I am giving it a sub-par rating. It does NOT take much effort to list these very important specs that would help people buy precisely what they need, especially when this info is contained on the back of the product itself.

I found the #300 model on another site and am purchasing it separately. I'm also returning the one I got here.

If you're going to get this product, pull out a ruler or measuring tape and measure your lid to ensure you get the right fitting model. Thanks for reading.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 4, 2010 9:17:22 AM PDT

Posted on Nov 4, 2010 1:52:27 PM PDT
JGF says:
Thank you so much for the information about different size lids. I went to the Witmer website and found the right size for the 28 oz. Kirkland organic peanut butter from Costco (#500), which also fits the 26 oz. Maranatha natural almond butter jar. The website does give the measurements in inches. I have just used it for the first time and it really works. So after 30 years of messy stirring, I am thrilled to finally find something that works! However, you do have to be careful to order the right size for the brand you use, just as the previous comment points out :-)

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 11:12:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2011 3:00:08 PM PDT
qwerty3 says:
I checked the manufacturer's website and this model #100 fits the 16 oz glass jars of Smucker's Natural peanut butter.

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 9:31:00 AM PST
Consumer Doc says:
This is an excellent review which provides the information necessary for customers to make an informed decision and to avoid purchasing the incorrect mixer. Thank you Joseph for this information. I was going to order this (#100 Model) almost immediately, until I noticed your thoughtful review warning us about this issue. I completely concur with your rating and assessment. I too, want this mixer to use with the Trader Joe's Organic Crunchy PB!! Great minds think alike! Thanks again. Dr. A. Toll

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 1:34:40 AM PDT
Thanks for writing such an informative review! I hope the company has the sense to send you some kind of reward, maybe a couple of extra PB stirring devices, because you've certainly saved them a lot of work in the long run.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2011 3:54:11 PM PDT
Consumer Doc says:
Thanks very much. I'm glad that you found this useful.

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 7:56:16 PM PST
Lynn says:
I'm finding I'm having more and more trouble comparison shopping on Amazon because they make it easy to see the difference in products. I will pay more to get what I need. It's not always the cheapest that we "settle" for. There are more things involved in a purchase than price.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 2:15:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2012 10:56:48 AM PDT
Leleen says:
I just found the #700 on Witmer's Site. This one stirs the Costco sized Adam's PB. The granddaddy of them all!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 7:59:49 AM PDT
Henrietta S says:
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. You'd think the mftr would have this info readily available.

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 9:10:04 AM PDT
Thanks Joseph for the pertinent information. I to use Trader Joe's PB and would not have even considered to measure the lid. Thanks for doing the foot-work that the marketing company didn't do. This was extremely helpful.
DAnderson