Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, precise printing, easy setup, October 24, 2012
This review is from: Epson WorkForce All-In-One Wireless Color Inkjet Printer WF-2540, Black (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I already own two Epson Inkjet printers, a WorkForce Pro WP-4020 and an Artisan 800.

I was hesitant to try another Epson after having so many issues with the Artisan 800 (namely how it consumes ink and WiFi setup difficulties). The WorkForce WF-2540 in appearance is like a scaled down version of the Artisan 800. Designed for the space-constrained home office, the WF-2540 takes up considerably less space than the Artisan 800 yet has an equivalent or higher feature set.

I'll start with installation. My primary computer is a PC running Windows 7. I decided to install the printer as a network printer (wired, not WiFi). Installation couldn't have been simpler. I followed the instructions--turned it on, installed the ink, installed the driver (which took a while). The printer was instantly recognized when I connected it to my switch/router.

One of my primary complaints about the Artisan 800 is the ink. The Artisan has a real issue consuming vast quantities of ink. It also won't allow you to print anything if just one of the cartridges is out of ink. This never made sense to me because a low Cyan cartridge shouldn't prevent me from printing a totally B&W document. I haven't used the WF-2540 enough to know if it has this issue. All I can tell you is the ink cartridges (4 of them) supplied with the printer are not standard sized cartridges. They're sample/trial sized. You might as well get some high capacity cartridges when you buy the printer.

Printing from other computers on my network naturally required installation of the print driver on those devices. After doing so, I have had no issues printing to the WF-2540 over the network. I was pleasantly surprised to find this printer "Cloud Enabled," so setting up Google Cloud Print was a breeze. You can also use "Epson Connect" or Apple "Air Print" to print from smartphones, iPads, etc. I had no issues printing from an iPhone and a MacBook Pro.

The WF-2540 has a manual paper feed in the back, which is nice, but I prefer a paper tray. It holds 100 sheets. The ADF for scanning and faxing is similar to the Artisan 800's. These have been unreliable for me in the past when feeding nonstandard paper types--basically anything other than plain white paper. I did, however, scan a recipe from a cooking magazine and faxed my office to test the functionality. Both worked remarkably well. You can scan to your PC, to a PDF or to an email...useful for filing expense reports from home.

One little feature that I like is the USB port. It doesn't sound useful unless you are like me and you frequently transfer documents from machine to machine using a USB memory stick. I like that I can share files by inserting a USB memory stick in the port.

There are some minor annoyances with the printer. Mine emits a high pitched tone after finishing a print job. Printing also causes my CFL bulb on my desk to flicker (a common problem with large power draws). Other than these issues, nothing to complain about.

Overall - this is a solid printer and an excellent performer. Printing is quick and color prints are precise. I actually carted my Artisan 800 to the neighborhood Garage Sale when I got this printer. It is so much more compact and feature rich. I recommend it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]