Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars WATCH THE MOVIE FOR FREE, March 25, 2011
This review is from: The Crash Course: The Unsustainable Future Of Our Economy, Energy, And Environment (Hardcover)
This is a truly exceptional book. The author does an amazing job of explaining our economic problems in a clear, concise, easy to understand, and interesting way. Most importantly, you will learn why, with our debt based monetary system, hyperinflation is inevitable.

The author of this book has also made a 3 hour video of The Crash Course that is a condensed version of the book. It, too, is excellent. This DVD is available from Amazon or you can view if for free on the author's website, ChrisMartenson.com . Of course, it's not possible for a 3 hour video to contain nearly as much information as the book. So, if you really want to be fully informed, you should read the book. However, while you are waiting for it to arrive in the mail, you can get a terrific overview by watching the DVD.

Basically, The Crash Course (book or DVD), in a very compelling way, makes two fundamental points. First, that our present rate of consumption of oil, when correlated against an increasing world population and increasing demand from the industrialization of third world countries, is simply not sustainable. In fact, it appears that we are currently at the precipice of there not being enough oil to meet the demand. And, when we go over the cliff, our standard of living will be diminished overnight. (Imagine having to spend 50 to 70% of your income on food and gasoline.)

The second fundamental point made by the Crash Course is that our debt based monetary system must inevitably end with hyperinflation. The reason is that each year, enough new currency must be created to pay the interest on all of the previously created debt. As a result, there is an exponential increase in the money supply. It is like putting money in a savings account and letting the interest continue to compound year after year. For many years, your bank balance grows very slowly. But, you ultimately come to a point where even though the rate of interest is small, it is increasing your bank balance by amazingly large amounts each year. The author illustrates this with a graph shaped like a hockey stick. Well, it turns out that on this front, we are again at a precipice. In 2010, our government created more debt than the TOTAL of all the debt created in our history. In other words, we are on the verge of a financial Armageddon.

The author makes a compelling case for why the above outcomes are inevitable. And, based on the shortsightedness of our leaders, he is probably right. We've known about our problem of dependence on foreign oil for forty years and we haven't done anything significant to deal with it. However, I believe that there are technological solutions already in existence that would solve this problem. Unfortunately, it's not likely that we will employ any of them until AFTER the proverbial crap hits the fan.

With respect to the problem of having a debt based monetary system; the solution is not only simple, but proven. Change the system to a non-debt based monetary system and use non-debt created money to pay off the debt. Andrew Jackson did this and he not only balanced the budget, he also paid off 100% of the national debt. So, what do I mean by changing to a non-debt based monetary system? I'm talking about abolishing the Federal Reserve System and returning the power to create money to the Treasury Department where it belongs.

A complete understanding of the Federal Reserve System and why it is at the root of our economic problems is essential to a complete understanding of our economic problems. In this regard, The Crash Course falls a little short. This is not a criticism because, to fully explain this subject matter, another book is required. In this regard, I can recommend some excellent sources.

The Money Masters is very good video on this subject. It is available from Amazon or you can view it on YouTube.com by entering the title in the search bar. As for books, I recommend "The Creature from Jyklell Island" by G. Edward Griffin which is the most comprehensive book I've found on this subject. I can also recommend "End The Fed" by Congressman Ron Paul. This book does an excellent job of summarizing all of the moral, ethical, legal, and practical reasons for ending the Federal Reserve System. Last, and most important, is a book called The Naked Capitalist by W. Cleon Skousen. This book reveals the motives of the owners of the world's central banks and how they hope to wipe out the middle class and create a one world government. (I know, I know... This sounds like crazy conspiracy talk. Just take a look at this book's reviews and I think you will want to read it.)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2011 6:45:33 PM PDT
Andrius says:
Nice review. With respect to the problem of having a debt based monetary system.. I have to disagree. Yes, the system is a problem, and needs to be changed (including abolishing the fed). However, I have doubts that putting politicians in charge of printing money would be such a great idea. Especially in the current "democracy". In the end you would end up with the same hyper inflation, and it may not take a 100 years like with the current debt system. It seems that debt keeps them in check somewhat (at least they have to discuss the deficits, etc). Let me know if you have any thoughts.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 8:46:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2011 7:18:52 AM PDT
K.C. says:
Any thoughts? Yes, a whole bunch of thoughts.

First, you are 100% correct that politicians would be as bad, and probably worse, than the Fed when it comes to debasing the currency. This is why, along with returning the power to create money to the Treasury, it will be necessary that we have a Constitutional amendment limiting an increase in the money supply wilth a formula that parallels population growth and GDP.

At one point in The Money Masters video the narrator explains exactly how we can go about ending the Federal Reserve. (Go to YouTube.com and search for `How To Abolish The Federal Reserve'.)

If you email me at KenoraLane@hotmail.com I'll send you a couple of essays I have written that discuss, in detail, the related issues of the Federal Resaerve and the current problems with our economy.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 4:13:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2012 4:23:01 PM PST
Dangerous review. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't watch the "movie." You should. But simply watching the movie is like eating the appetizer and thinking you got the whole meal.

Moreover, it is absurd to suggest that what Andrew Jackson did is in any way analgous to our situation. Did you read the book? The part about peak oil and our other diminishing resources (primary wealth)? Did AJ have to deal with these issues? I don't think so.

Actually, it's obvious you did read the book, and I agree with much of what you say.

And I'm in favor of putting control back in the hands of we the people (through our elected representatives), but I'm not sure it sould be done through the US Treasury, which is under the Executive branch. I think our Counstituiton puts such powers in the hands of Congress, not the executive branch.

Give much more power to the Executive branch and we'll be living under a monarchy. (Though I guess Obama wouldn't look bad in a crown. Bush certainly didn't.)

That said, I appreciate your review. It's what got me to watch the video and, consequently, to buy (and read) the book.

As you've no doubt figured out, I'm no economist.

As a sidelight, you might want to buy the paper-and-ink book. The kindle edition is inferior. It's almost impossible to access the footnotes, the index is just a bunch of words with no links to anything in the book, and kindle illustrations (charts, graphs, etc.) are almost impossible to read.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 9:28:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 5:44:02 PM PST
"K.C.",

You stated that this book "falls a little short" in addressing our 'economic problems' -- and then you go on to recommend a video called 'The Money Masters'. The problem with William Still and Pat Carmack (the theorists behind, and makers of, that video) is that they are *chartalists*.

Formerly, this school of thought was known as 'cartelists' -- a more accurate label for the Pig-in-a-Poke economic dreamland. The farcical, fraudulent scenario is also the goal of chartalist Stephen Zarlenga, dba 'American Monetary Institute' -- author of the huge, fanciful tome 'The Lost Science of Money'.

Chartalism holds that since worthless paper money is already being used all over the world, we may as well allow Congress to print the stuff directly, and "spend it into circulation", as Carmack, Still, and Zarlenga put it. In other words, allow Congress to openly counterfeit -- openly violate the highest law in America -- and we all join them in it. As much money as we need for government-run, government-granted 'social services' and infrastructure...why, we just let Congress print it right up! Don't we need that infrastructure? Those services?

No, we do not. Moreover, it is simply ILLEGAL for federal government to assume for itself the power to build such infrastructure and tax the citizenry for it. In fact, 75% of present federal expenditures are directed to ILLEGAL activities -- powers nowhere granted to the federal government by the U.S. Constitution.

Moreover, counterfeiting worthless scrip and defrauding us about the situation will not defy the laws of economics forever. History is full of examples. While 'The Money Masters' video and other chartalists do point out the criminal nature of the exclusive counterfeiting concession operating under the felicitous but fraudulent 'Federal' Reserve brand -- their 'solution' would be equally illegal, and in defiance of ethical, sound economics, would only make things worse.

Although it is a wonderful book as a whole -- required reading for the average know-nothing 'consumer' of this generation -- 'The Crash Course' does not provide a solid, sustainable, constitutional arrest mechanism against the criminogenic Congress and US Supreme Court. Of course, the author's thesis and analysis covers a far wider field than merely arresting criminals in our government.

The best comprehensive treatment of honest, ethical monetary policy, credit, and banking can be found in Professor Jesus Huerta deSoto's definitive Money, Bank Credit, and Economic Cycles but Professor deSoto does not touch the key issue for Americans: what does the law stipulate as lawful U.S. money?

Answer: ONLY gold and silver coin are lawful U.S. money.

[The case can be made that 100% redeemable gold and/or silver notes and 100% specie reserve bank loans and other derivatives would meet the spirit of the law. But there's no defense for continuing to allow Congress to carry on its 100-year Fed cartel counterfeiting concession and control of American 'credit'...fiat debt and its illimitable derivatives.]

In a monograph entitled 'Exposing the Fool's Gold Standard' at my blog, ThisBloodlessLibertyTheBook dot blogspot dot com, I explain the historical origin of Congress' financial crimes: it happened in 1862, not in 1913. I demonstrate that the bankers enlisted two new lackeys for the U.S. Supreme Court to join Congress' criminal activity in 1871; President Grant was happy to comply. By 1884 with the Juilliard-v-Greenman case, the well-settled lawlessness had cast the die for illicit money, credit and banking from that day to this one.

In that blog article, I discuss the 1884 pamphlet by historian and statesman George Bancroft, entitled 'A Plea for The Constitution of the United States, Wounded in the House of Its Guardians'. Right as the crime was going down, Bancroft told the world -- but nothing was done, as has been the case with every major crime, arrogation, and unconstitutional usurpation by our government. The People simply had no arrest mechanism for crime on this level; none at all.

I also cite several of the vital works of the late Murray Rothbard, and I criticize several popular books that pretend to tout a 'gold standard' while omitting the most vital aspect of such a standard: the U.S. Constitution's legal requirements for lawful money.

In that monograph, I also offer a peaceful, simple, rational plan for law enforcement: We The People break Congress down into its 535 constituent members; we deal with them at home, enforcing the 10th Amendment and the Constitution's stipulations for lawful U.S. money. We do this NOT by appealing to the U.S. Constitution; only to our state criminal statutes. *Most* members of Congress, past and present, are guilty of *numerous* financial crimes and forms of fraud against their own constituents. We The People have never formulated a practical, repeatable mechanism to arrest these criminals. Now, by the grace of God and diligence of Madison and Jefferson, AmericaAgain! has devised that mechanism.

In my book This Bloodless Liberty, I explain more about the relationship between ethics and economics, wars and depressions and the mercantilists who own our government from behind the scenes. I help open the eyes of 'popular sovereigns' who have failed to understand what's been happening to us, much less how to arrest these criminals who -- with total impunity and breathtaking arrogance -- have violated America's highest law, their oaths of office, and our trust for five generations.

David M. Zuniga, P.E.
Founder, AmericaAgain! Trust

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 11:57:36 AM PST
K.C. says:
I agree with most of what you say. However, The Money Masters video does not simply advocate returning the power to print money to the Treasury Department. It advocates a return to souond money and an end to fractional reserves in the banking system. The problem with our current monetary system is that all currency is loaned into existance. Therefore, each year, increasingly greater sums must be loaned into existance because principal plus interest payments are due on previously created currency. This results in a situation where, ultimately, the money supply is increasing exponentially. The Crash Course does an excellent job of explaining this. Certainly, this problem is solved with 100% gold backed currency. However, it is also solved by limiting how much money the government is allowed to print via a constitutional amendment. Or, we could even go back to using Tally Sticks. Lol

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 12:35:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 12:41:00 PM PST
K.C., do you prefer the 'Money Masters' Kool-Aid to the U.S. Constitution and classical economics, then?

No constitutional amendment is needed to "limit how much money the government is allowed to print"; it is not allowed to PRINT any 'money' at all, per the Supreme Law. Congress ALONE is empowered only to COIN money of the United States; see Article I, Section 8, Clause 5 of the U.S. Constitution; it is a simple stipulation.

Then see Article I, Section 10, Clause 2; the sovereign states are *specifically prohibited* from coining their own specie, and are required to use ONLY gold and silver coin for all state transactions.

You can grasp this; I know from experience that it's comprehensible to 5th and 6th grade homeschoolers. Thus you see, we need no 'Money Masters' chartalist fantasy to fix "a problem"; we need only ENFORCE the law against *criminal acts of government*.

Again, I recommend that you read the monograph linked above if you can't read my book or the others I recommend in that monograph. As to your tally stick suggestion, whether offered in jest or half-seriously: that makes as much sense, and is as illegal, as the present 'paper coin' crimes of Congress with their exclusive concession to the Fed crime cartel.

DM Zuniga

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 8:09:20 AM PDT
John Harllee says:
David, the Supreme Court disagrees with you about printed money. See Juilliard v. Greenman and the other Legal Tender cases. Wikepedia has good summaries.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 8:59:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 9:42:39 AM PDT
John, I'm not sure what your point is. If it's the cynical resignation so common to those who live under corrupt governments..."the government disagrees with you, so we can dispense with the law, and with facts of history"...I say no, we can't.

The SCOTUS has been covering for financial crimes committed by the U.S. Congress since 1862. At the Bretton Woods conference, the FED cartel's hijacking of U.S. money was applied by coercion to the entire world. THAT was the purpose of the U.S. joining WWII; it allowed the FED to use the US government to force the world to peg their currencies to its counterfeit paper.

The hijacking was complete when Nixon closed the gold window, doing away with convertability of gold or silver certificates.

The fly in the ointment is that this is still crime, in clear violation of the U.S. Constitution as stated above. So conceding your point (the SCOTUS claims that counterfeiting is just fine) doesn't dispose of the case at all. See Tom DiLorenzo's new book Organized Crime: The Unvarnished Truth About Government for more discussion on this point; or any of Judge Andrew Napolitano's books, all available here at Amazon.

John, civilised society doesn't allow criminals to rule in their own case when they're caught; thus, your point is moot. Or to put it another way, it won't matter what the SCOTUS thinks, once We The People arrest the real perps, in Congress.

To restore lawful U.S. money and banking -- and honest society -- the challenge now is of course to arrest them; that's the mission of AmericaAgain! and this is the subject of my book This Bloodless Liberty.

My point originally is that Chris Martenson's book is good as regards the environmental and energy catastrophes facing the world -- but he specifically claims that he doesn't want to judge whether the FED cartel is immoral (and that is in itself, immoral). That was my only point about the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:06:01 PM PDT
Your reliance on a 200 plus year written document by a bunch of whites guys to ensure the protection of the ruling class' property is naive and frankly self defeating. The US constitution should not be used as an excuse to no fix a modern problem. The law only apply to those who believe in it.......humanity and the matters of welfare and preservation of civilization should not be weight against an outdated document.

When you explain to me how "we the people" are going to mobilize the entire world and it's energy to move out of fossil fuel for example; then you might have a point against a strong centralize government. You are right about the FED and the need to prosecute criminals in our government and plutocracy, but please stop with the "sacred" grandiosity of the US Constitution and start approaching problems from a factual solution based agenda.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:54:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 10:02:45 PM PDT
Don't be silly; just because the governing law of this republic happens to be 220 years old, certainly doesn't make it "self-defeating" and certainly not the least bit naive. Civilization is what it is -- as is rule of law; the two are closely linked. To agree with you that the U.S. government dealt mendaciously and treacherously with the native American population is not to suggest that the native Americans would ever have achieved the height of civilization that America as a whole has done -- white, red, black, brown, yellow, and combinations thereof. White skin has nothing to do with the magnificence of a 220-year-long rule of law, you racist.

We The People are NOT going to "mobilize the entire world", nor is it our place to do so. My review focused on ONE specific shortcoming of the book -- the author refuses to find fault in a U.S.-based criminal cartel that We The People CAN deal with, for we retained that power when we instituted the constitutional republic that is the United States.

Furthermore, I did not call the Supreme Law "sacred"; I called it what it is: the highest law in America over our servant governments, limiting them IF We The People will only enforce it.

AmericaAgain! does not intend to prosecute criminals "in our government and plutocracy"; only in the U.S. Congress, severally and individually. I'm biased, of course; yet I believe AmericaAgain! is the most "factual, solution-based agenda" extant in this republic today. This may or may not become evident over coming years, as God ordains.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›