4.0 out of 5 stars Smart and Stunning Sci Fi Debut!, September 2, 2011
This review is from: Ambasadora (Book 1 Marked by Light) (Kindle Edition)
4.5 STARS!!

Book Summary: If everyone told you love wasn't real, would you still be willing to die for it?

Citizens of a six-moon system in our arm of the Milky Way don't remember Earth, only the History of a generational worldship culture. In their multi-partner society a caste system rules tradition, but the governing body of the Embassy rules everything else. Obsessed with celebrity, beauty, and power, relationships and conceptions are based more on DNA than emotional ties...or should be.

What the citizenry can't escape are the human feelings of love and jealousy that turn the sterile to honorable suicide, force a couple to make the ultimate sacrifice, and allow rebels to spin their world into a violent revolution.

Ambasadora Sara Mendoza becomes the unwilling face of this revolution. Captured, tortured, and given a second chance at freedom, she proves that sacrifice for the man she loves is more honorable than sacrifice to a society's antiquated mores.

I just can't say enough good things about this book and this Author! The cover and summary doesn't do the actual story justice and I mean no offense by that. I just really expected an average Sci Fi Romance, which would have been fine because I love those. I got so much more!
There is hard science fiction, so my geeky scifi heart was content. There is great action, so my adrenaline pumped and the romance kept me yearning until the last page.
With Ambasadora, Heidi Ruby Miller creates a multi-genre read that fulfills the voracious reader in me. I just couldn't read it fast enough and I hated reading the last page. In fact, at times I turned the page before finishing it and had to go back.
The characters are complex, which is a sticking point for me. The world-building is believable. The author doesn't assume her readers are of lower I.Q. so doesn't water down the science, neither does she talk over our heads. I will admit to needing some time in the opening scenes to wrap my mind around this new world but thank goodness because I love exploring new societies through reading.

I highly recommend this to Science Fiction, Action/Adventure, Fantasy and Sci Fi Romance readers!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]