Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Why the separate receiver?, August 19, 2011
This review is from: Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar Home Theater System with Wireless Subwoofer (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I'll keep this short: the sound from this unit is adequate, but nothing phenomenal. I actually prefer the quality of my older Sony HT-CT150. It had better bass and clarity. This one has weaker bass and a slightly muddled sound.

Here's my major gripe though: why the external receiver? The whole point of these things is to get a decent upgrade from the understandably terrible speakers for your 1" thick television without a bunch of wires. In my case I want to wall mount with my TV. The receiver has no convenient spot on the wall and if I have it elsewhere I have to find an inconspicuous way to run the speaker wires to it.

Sony needs a unit like Samsung's with multiple HDMI connections in the speakers while keeping the wireless subwoofer (but giving the SW more punch). I like sticking with Sony components (TV, BR player) for the BraviaLink, but there is no good model for my configuration. I'd rather they ditch other unnecessary functions (FM radio, analog RCA inputs) in order to streamline the hardware.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 29, 2011 8:00:19 PM PDT
A. King says:
so there is a wire from the sound bar to the receiver?? Or just the power plug in?

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 8:01:21 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 6:30:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2011 6:33:45 AM PDT
TX THL says:
There is a thin 2-wire connection (with an unusual - but not proprietary connector, I think) that goes from the receiver to the sound bar. It provides power and signal to the sound bar.

I think the wire is about 8 feet long, but for my needs that goes against the desire to wall-mount the speaker. If you plan on using the sound bar on something like an entertainment center, it should not be an issue. However, the subwoofer is truly wireless - no connection to the small receiver - just plug into the wall for power.

Overall, it is a good system. Just the necessity of the separate small receiver (~8" w x 2" t x ~11" d) limit the potential places to use the system.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 9:42:12 AM PDT
A. King says:
oh wow...i wanted to mount the sound bar under my wall mounted TV....i thought it only had the power cord not another connector that needed to be put in the receiver. Yikes! This is going to screw up my whole set up I'm afraid.....and its coming to my house today! I wish i would have asked this earlier. So what did you end up doing?? Or how did you set it up? Is the wire just showing now.....

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 10:05:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2011 10:07:10 AM PDT
TX THL says:
I'd send it back, and maybe go with something like the Samsung HW-D550. It has 2x HDMI inputs (w/ ARC) and receiver built into the soundbar, plus wireless subwoofer. In my case, I've got too many Sony things that play nice together (LED TV, PS3, BD-player, SoundBar) via BraviaLink to switch to another brand sound bar.

My setup is probably different than yours. I've got a wall mount above a fireplace, with Power, Coax, and HDMI wall connections behind the TV (and other A/V components in a different part of the room). Therefore I could get away with sticking the receiver on the mantel next to the soundbar, but I really hate the way it looks. When Sony releases a new soundbar with integrated receiver (probably in December) I'll likely just upgrade to that.

Good luck with the installation! It's not the biggest problem in life - but it is annoying when you can't quite get the set-up you really want.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 10:10:56 AM PDT
A. King says:
Ya, i will check it out. I have mine above a fireplace as well. But not sure the receiver would fit on the mantel and if it did like you said....prob doesn't look great. Ill have to see what I think when I get it today and if its not good I might wait till December like you said and get a new model or check out that Samsung. Thanks for all the feedback man! And the timely responses. Very cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 10:29:58 AM PDT
No problem.

FYI - I turned it sideways to get it to fit (especially with connections in the back). It's extremely functional, thanks to the BraviaLink - but just doesn't look great. I kept it though, because it serves the original purpose (no wires from ground level for small children to pull heavy things down on their heads). And the sound beats the heck out of what you get from the TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 2:37:09 PM PDT
A. King says:
Hey, i just got my system. But I can't get my subwoofer to work. It stays red (standby mode) I guess and won't turn green. No noise is coming from it but everything looks synced. Secure mode ON. When i turn it off then back on it slowly comes in Amber then turns RED. Any suggestions?!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 7:25:23 PM PDT
TX THL says:
Hmmm... Tough one. I didn't do anything special with mine. In standby it stays red, but when the receiver is turned on it turns green. No configuration necessary. Not sure if it makes a difference but my SW is only about 8 feet from the receiver.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 9:55:05 PM PDT
A. King says:
thanks man again for the response. I actually called Sony and got it fixed. I guess it wasn't syncing properly. Unplugged both and turned Secure ON and it was good to go! Sounds pretty good so far, watching my first movie with the wife tonight to see how it sounds.

Any certain settings that you really like turned on or off? Bass , treble settings?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›